How Many Unbuilt Kits Do You Own?

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
David C. Clarke

How Many Unbuilt Kits Do You Own?

Post by David C. Clarke » 16 Oct 2002, 02:34

Inspired by an article in a magazine, I thought I'd take an informal survey.
How many unbuilt kits do you own? Does the amount of unbuilt kits you have bother you in any way?
Best Regards, David :D

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Oct 2002, 08:20

Too many, about fiftheen to twenty would be a good guess. The last kits I bought was the revell cromwell and the italeri königstiger. What bothers me is that I don't have the enough time to work on them.

regards
Last edited by Daniel L on 16 Oct 2002, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Mistel1

Post by Mistel1 » 16 Oct 2002, 12:40

10 kits in the open...

About 100 more in the attic closet, safe from the hands and rage of my wife...

kobold

Post by kobold » 16 Oct 2002, 13:33

since contracting arthritis (mainly in my hands and knees), modelling has been impossible since i cant perform any fine movements nor hold anything steady in either hand :(

I have a few dozen 1/35th figures unbuilt stuck away in a drawer somewhere - i inherited a "convoy" of several tamiya 1/35th flakvierling crews-with opel blitz/maultier trucks, and the vierlings too-we were going to make a diorama of a convoy but the guy i was building it with lost interest and gave all the kits to me :) ), a couple of unbuilt sdkfz 251's (my favourite vehicle), some esci "rest area" figures (unopened), various other tamiya figures from various boxed sets.

I also have several hundred unopened 25mm Games workshop (and other manufacturers) ad&d type lead miniatures - pre slotta base days-with lead bases, all in unopened blister packs (50% staff discount made them very cheap :) )

(I have several hundred painted and based ad&d / borehammer / modern / scifi / historical / samurai miniatures also-not used for a few years as i got fed up with friends dropping them and chipping the paint etc :( )

one day i might put them on ebay, the problem being postage for the lead miniatures would be rather costly.

I always loved kit building, making dioramas and painting figures.
Whilst at school i had two public displays of some of my work and also built display figures for a local hobby shop.

It was quite theraputic for me, and i miss doing it a great deal, although during a recent trip into games workshop made me partly glad I don't take part in the hobby anymore as their prices are so high its silly.

Dave

prejo

Post by prejo » 16 Oct 2002, 14:01

I guess that I have arround 10 kits "in the box"... Also some projects started but unfinished for various reasons...

regards,
prejo

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 16 Oct 2002, 15:54

40 odd in a plastic bag.

Tony

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 16 Oct 2002, 17:04

75 or so, I think.

Don't worry abotu your storage - if you have all your un-build kits in one place, noone but you and fellow modellers can see the difference. Also, if you wife says 'don't you have one of those already' ('cause she'll be completely unable to see the difference between a Pz.Kpfw. I and a Maus), you can just say 'no, it's the gnügenfnügen-Ausführung' ;)

Christian

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Oct 2002, 17:37

'no, it's the gnügenfnügen-Ausführung'
:D

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 16 Oct 2002, 20:48

Hi Forum,
I have 66 models in 1:72 and a further 27 in 1:35 which are still in their boxes, in some cases the boxes have never been opened or inspected!!
The main reason for this is my recent intewrest in the internet, never find much modelling time at the moment.
I have reached a point where I must decide what I wish to build and display? I have decided to stick to armoured vehicles, and try to build all of the German variants, plus a few of my favorite Allied vehicles perhaps painted up as German captured vehicles.
As well as models, I have stockpiled books and PC gasmes that are still in their wrapping!
My only concern is that I will be able to get through it all before I die!!!!
Regards,Bill :D

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 16 Oct 2002, 21:14

I have been buying kits since 1963 onwards and it has got to the stage where I am running out of storage space for all the umade ones I am keeping for when I 'retire' and have time to do them all. Don't know the exact total of unmade kits I have but it is 1000+ at least. it may seem a lot but over the time period it is about 1 a week laid away and realisticaly now it seems I will never get round to them all. It consist of at least 1 each of the 1:700 waterline ship models ever produced. At least 1 each of every 1:76/1:72 AFV model made by Airfix,Fujimi,Nitto,Edai,Revell,Hasegawa and Esci as well as a large selection of 1:35 scale armour. In addition I have again at least 1 box of every 00/H0 figure produced in the same period and after having written this even I am begining to think I have a problem!.

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 16 Oct 2002, 23:22

I have a lot of models, but I was never really into building them. I have 15-20 unbuilt. Basically, I just gave them all to my father who builds them on his free time.

Logan Hartke

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 17 Oct 2002, 01:51

I've got around 20 unbuilt kits, and even though I try building them, it takes for me like a month or two to finish one, but in the meantime the collection of unbuilt kits keeps on growing. :roll:

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 17 Oct 2002, 11:32

so what have we learned from this thread? That it is easier to buy kits than find the time to build them :D
We all enjoy the moment we take a model from the shelves in a hobby store, and look at the "box-art", then in our fantasy, imagine how the model will look when we have built it. Some times being disapointed by the finnished product which looks nothing like the box!!! And what do I do with the five pieces that somehow are left over after the kit is completed!!!!
I guess also we buy kits if it is a limited prodution or a special price reduction that only comes once in a life time! :lol:
Regards,Bill

David C. Clarke

Hi Bill

Post by David C. Clarke » 17 Oct 2002, 16:26

Hi Bill, I have to say that with the internet and ebay, it is much easier to acquire a kit than it will ever be to build one!
I asked the original qestion because I am frankly afraid to count my own unbuilt kits. I admit that, with myself, much of the thrill is finding and acquiring new (or old) kits. there is a certain thrill involved in checking out a new release or a kit that I owned way back when. Building time is a major problem, epecailly when you factor in work, kids, wife, house, dogs, etc. But it's interesting to see poeple's reaction to this thread.
Best Regards, David :D

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 17 Oct 2002, 19:13

Well, some of the guy from my local IPMS chaptor has at least 200-500 unbuild kits. :?

Christian

Return to “Model building”