Advice on air brush/compressor

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
Michael Avanzini

Advice on air brush/compressor

Post by Michael Avanzini » 24 Oct 2002, 17:53

I was thinking about getting back into model building and, never having used and air brush before was wondering what make and model to purchase. Badger airbrushes seem to be used the most, but there are a few models to choose from. What additional accessories are needed. Also Badger makes a few differnet compressors but what should I look for in features or should I be looking at a different compressor. I will probably buy online and from someone in the USA so any thoughts on the best supplier.

Thanks to all
Michael Avanzini

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 01 Nov 2002, 21:45

Hi there.
Im not sure what sort of details you want about airbrushes or compressors, but what I will say is if you go for a compressor you should get one with a reasonable sized reservoir. Also, unless you have used an airbrush before I would avoid paying out for a top of the line model, try something cheaper first, not everyone gets on with them.
I syarted off using those propellant cans with an adaptor for my airbrush, this gave me the idea of how to handle the thing, but those cans are not the best thing in the world.

Hope this helped you.

Greg K.

Post by Greg K. » 11 Nov 2002, 07:46

:D
first off buy a compressor that you can use around the house, like a 2-5 gal one. like a pancake compressor that has a small tank on top. it can be used for your air brush and filling up your tires on your car, to air tool's. around $100+, the only reson i say to buy a pancake compressor is it will save you money in the long run.. what if you don't like or can't get a hang of your air brush, then your stuck with a small air brush compessor. and the resale on that would mean that you'd loose money on the deal... and about the air brush... they say you need to buy the most expencive air brush you can afford, i, my self bought a posh VL around $60 on the inter-net. don't buy cheap because you'll end up paying more down the road, may-be a week or so, and you won't beable to resale it if you try.. but if you buy something everyone use's you can recoop you money if you want..
don't buy the can's for air their a waist of money, they can't give you the pressuer to drive your brush. spend your money well, and you;ll have a great time.. and any-thing you paint will look super... have fun.....

Michael Avanzini

Post by Michael Avanzini » 11 Nov 2002, 16:15

Thanks for the replys.

I did not know that you can use a bigger pancake type compressor. I have one already that I use with a finishing nail gun. I guess the only problem with them is the noise factor. After searching around the various modeling forums it seems the way to go with an air brush is an Iwata. With not having to buy a compressor this is affordable then.

Thanks again guys
Michael

kobold

Post by kobold » 11 Nov 2002, 17:18

the only experience i had with airbrushes:

In the mid 70's most of my modelling mates used Badger airbrushes - (mainly because they were one of the few locally available) - they all had small bench mounted electric compressors.

I didnt have one cos i was too poor so i used theirs :)

they were pretty good, reliable but to this pauper an extravagant luxury hehe.

Nowt wrong with a proper brush :)

Dave

i cant remember the prices of the things but i think the brush itself was about the price of 4-5 tamiya 1/35th tanks - the compressors a lot more.

Dave

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 11 Nov 2002, 17:51

The testor airbrush is is good too but badger is also a reliable airbrush compared to most of airbrushes.

Return to “Model building”