Die Leibstandarte Im Bild

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
PatrickBateman

Die Leibstandarte Im Bild

Post by PatrickBateman » 10 Aug 2017, 14:02

Hi,

Recently I bought the book 'Die Leibstandarte Im Bild' by Rudolf Lehmann, great book with lots of photos I hadn't seen before. Finally I found an photo of my great uncle his unit in action in the Kharkov area, 1943.

I was wondering if anyone knows more about this village "Scheludowka", I couldn't find anything useful on the internet. Or maybe more photos of this scene/moment.
And if someone has a high(er) quality photo of this photo from the book, please let me know.

Kind regards.

Sauerkraut

Re: Die Leibstandarte Im Bild

Post by Sauerkraut » 10 Aug 2017, 23:26

No such place seems to exist nowadays (from google and yandex maps), on google and yandex I found reference to "Щелудовка" from the first world war, in Kharkov region. Nowadays there is in the Kharkov region "Шелудьковка" (in Ukrainian language "Шелудькiвка"), I don't know if it is the same place, but it seems possible since it is in the same region, the name remains very close (Scheludovka -> Shelud'kovka), and that it is not rare that changes have been made in village names over the years...

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/%D0%A8 ... 36.5376163

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 11 Aug 2017, 10:40

Hello,

This is the old name (pre-revolution was)
Щелудовская, с. Щелудовка (Харьковская область)

http://istmat.info/files/uploads/15773/ ... enie_3.pdf

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 11 Aug 2017, 13:15

Thank you both. Too bad I can't understand a word from your pdf file, smetanin albert. I guess the village wasn't that kind of an important objective during the third Battle of Kharkov.

The only thing I found is that the picture is also in another book, "The Battle of Kharkov Winter 1942-1943" by Jean Restayn.

Does anyone know if there is more about that village or the 18. Pz Jg in that book?

DougW60

Post by DougW60 » 12 Aug 2017, 21:36

Congratulations Patrick on finding photos of your uncle. I'm looking through the Restayn book now and will be looking through the Trojca History of the Waffen SS series book "SS-Panzerkorps in the Battle for Kharkov 01-03/1943" to see if I can come across any maps with Scheludowka village on it.

DougW60

Post by DougW60 » 12 Aug 2017, 22:25

Trojca book does have a map locating II./2.P.G.R. LSSAH defending Sheludkovka which is 30 km south east of Kharkov. Using Google Earth, I believe the village is not spelled "Shelud'kivka"
Attachments
Kharkov Sheludkovka Map small.jpg

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 13 Aug 2017, 22:04

DougW60 wrote:Congratulations Patrick on finding photos of your uncle. I'm looking through the Restayn book now and will be looking through the Trojca History of the Waffen SS series book "SS-Panzerkorps in the Battle for Kharkov 01-03/1943" to see if I can come across any maps with Scheludowka village on it.
Thank you Doug. Great detailed map with all those names of the villages.

So you own both books? If you don't mind, could you look if you can find anything about the 18. Pz Jg? The main reason why I bought the "Leibstandarte Im Bild" book is I could find maybe info or photos of my uncle his unit. Ofcourse I can buy all Kharkov books but most are pretty expensive, so if you could help me.

Cheers

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 14 Aug 2017, 00:02

Befehl des Gewissens: Charkow Winter 1943 published 1976 by Munin Verlag, with 339 pages, 39 color kriegstagebuch maps, 107 photos, prints the Armee-Oberkommando 8 Kriegstagebuch Nr.I February 1,1943 through March 18 and SS Panzer Korps pages from February 22 through March 18.
Scheludowka appears on some of these kriegstagebuch maps.
Last edited by Miles Krogfus on 14 Aug 2017, 09:15, edited 2 times in total.

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 14 Aug 2017, 01:51

PatrickBateman wrote:
DougW60 wrote:Congratulations Patrick on finding photos of your uncle. I'm looking through the Restayn book now and will be looking through the Trojca History of the Waffen SS series book "SS-Panzerkorps in the Battle for Kharkov 01-03/1943" to see if I can come across any maps with Scheludowka village on it.
Thank you Doug. Great detailed map with all those names of the villages.

So you own both books? If you don't mind, could you look if you can find anything about the 18. Pz Jg? The main reason why I bought the "Leibstandarte Im Bild" book is I could find maybe info or photos of my uncle his unit. Ofcourse I can buy all Kharkov books but most are pretty expensive, so if you could help me.

Cheers
There is no mention

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 14 Aug 2017, 14:49

Too bad. Thanks for letting me know, Keenan. Isn't right that most books about Kharkov have the same photos? I think if you have seen/read "Platz der Leibstandarte" you have seen them all, mostly.

DougW60

Post by DougW60 » 14 Aug 2017, 23:25

I could not find anything and I miss-typed my reply regarding the name of the village: it does appear to be "Shelud'kivka" using google earth. Pat, by my experience, tracking information for a single company within a regiment is very difficult. Is there still a division association?

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 15 Aug 2017, 00:51

PatrickBateman wrote:Too bad. Thanks for letting me know, Keenan. Isn't right that most books about Kharkov have the same photos? I think if you have seen/read "Platz der Leibstandarte" you have seen them all, mostly.
What you after to remember is the village your looking for is when they were retreating,and all the book's are about the retaking of Kharkov and I don't think that village played that big a role.Yes to your photo's question

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 15 Aug 2017, 17:07

DougW60 wrote:I could not find anything and I miss-typed my reply regarding the name of the village: it does appear to be "Shelud'kivka" using google earth. Pat, by my experience, tracking information for a single company within a regiment is very difficult. Is there still a division association?
Thanks for checking. I know the chances are small to find anything about this group within an entire division. How do you mean "Is there still a division association?"
Miles Krogfus wrote:Befehl des Gewissens: Charkow Winter 1943 published 1976 by Munin Verlag, with 339 pages, 39 color kriegstagebuch maps, 107 photos, prints the Armee-Oberkommando 8 Kriegstagebuch Nr.I February 1,1943 through March 18 and SS Panzer Korps pages from February 22 through March 18.
Scheludowka appears on some of these kriegstagebuch maps.
Thanks for the tip.

DougW60

Post by DougW60 » 17 Aug 2017, 03:54

Pat, a lot of units form associations after the war where members of said unit can keep in touch with one another, socialize, have reunions, etc. Some associations collect photos, stories, experiences etc from its members and create a informal history. Now I doubt if there are any Leibstandarte survivors but children of the veterans may still maintain contact with one another. How to find them, contact them, etc I am sorry that I do not have any leads for you but thought I would bring it up if time allows you to investigate. Maybe some of those on this forum who have researched/published their research have come across possible leads that may help.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 17 Aug 2017, 22:04

The chance of finding any family members of other men from my uncle his unit is probably zero. I have his war photo album, and it contains several group photos of him with his anti-tank crew, but sadly there are no names on the photos or in the album. I have only one name but I found zero information beside his age and group, no other family info here on the internet.

I was thinking to post those photos here and ask if people know more but I don't think it will help.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”