Führerliste by John Moore

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
tippette

Führerliste by John Moore

Post by tippette » 26 Nov 2017, 01:42

Good Evening,
does anybody know how can I buy the Führerliste by John Moore?
Thank you

hucks216

Re: Führerliste by John Moore

Post by hucks216 » 26 Nov 2017, 02:38

Send him a message and ask would probably be the easiest way.

tippette

Post by tippette » 26 Nov 2017, 14:02

i cannot find him in the member list.
Can anybody help?
Regards

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 26 Nov 2017, 14:07

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 28 Nov 2017, 00:48

Thanks for the interest. I have sent a PM to tippette.

John

Waffen211

Post by Waffen211 » 14 Dec 2017, 23:12

But what is their cost? Somewhere, on another forum, I've seen fairly high prices, considering that it's digital and not printed material. Can you have more information?

Waffen

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 15 Dec 2017, 07:22

Hello,

official response:

"Führerliste der Waffen-SS is a book on CD representing over 25 years of research. It contains an A – Z list of 1,318 pages that highlights the careers of approximately 26,000 officers of the Waffen-SS and their fates. Much of the information was obtained from their actual personnel records contained on 907 rolls of microfilm in the author's possession, 40 Kriegstagbuchs and other wartime documents. A number of former Waffen-SS officers representing most specialties and divisions have reviewed this list for correctness and have also contributed substantial information. Text portions are in both English and German. 14,950 pages of documents from the official personnel records (Personalakten) of 2,500+ Waffen-SS are also provided. These are the same documents that were previously maintained by the Berlin Document Center and are now available on microfilm from the US National Archives or on paper from the Bundesarchiv.

Part 1 is contained on two CDs and is the original updated A – Z Führerliste of 1,317 pages along with an addendum that includes 140+ pages of chronological KIA/MIA listings listed separately for 18 divisions. These include the place of death and final burial as well as unit assignment. A second section includes over 802 high resolution color photos of officer graves at various German military cemeteries in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Hungary, Estonia and Germany. The graves of 55 Knights Cross holders are included. 500+ additional pages contain lists of officers assigned to each of the main divisions.

3,341 pages of digitally enhanced original documents from 347 personnel files (Personalakten) of Waffen-SS and Police officer and NCO holders of the Ritterkreuz, Deutschen Kreuz in Gold and Silver, Ehrenblattspange and Anerkennung des Führers for the names Adamsons - Großrock. These files include such documents as award recommendations, autobiographies, recommendations for promotion, fitness reports. Casualty reports, after-action reports and investigations.
Price is US $ 145 or € 125

Part 2 is contained on two CDs and is a continuation of personnel file scans of the names in the range Gröschel - Orf who received the same high awards listed in Part 1. This is comprised of 3,837 pages from 401 personnel files.
Price is US $ 85 or € 75

Part 3 is contained on two CDs and is a continuation of personnel file scans of the names in the range Ortmann - Vogt who received the same high awards listed in Part 1. This is comprised of 3,796 pages from 373 personnel files.
Price is US $ 85 or € 75

Part 4 is one CD and is comprised of 2,072 pages from 202 personnel files. This CD has 3 sections. Section1 is a continuation of personnel file scans of the names in the range Vollard - Zollhöfer who received the same high awards listed in Part 1. (964 pages from 84 personnel files). Section 2 contains the personnel records of men recommended for the Knights Cross or German Cross in Gold, but not approved. (595 pages from 66 files) Section 3 contains 583 pages of personnel files from 52 interesting personalities such as Heinrich Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, Gustav Krukenberg, Heinz von Westernhagen and various regimental commanders.
Price is US $ 50 or € 50

Part 5 The theme here is exclusively non-German Waffen-SS officers. The files (Personalakten) of 1,284 such officers from 28 countries are included. There are 8,446 pages of personnel files with over 500 photos. An additional 231 pages of documents from Junkerschule graduating classes from 1942 through April 1945 of foreign officers and promotion lists are also included.

Part 5a contains the files and photos of officers from Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark. England, Estonia, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, India, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania and Luxembourg.

Price is US $ 75 or € 65

Part 5b contains the files and photos of officers from the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, USA and Yugoslavia. An Addendum contains the personnel files of an additional 51 Estonian and 21 Norwegian officers. Also the foreign officer promotion lists and Junkerschule class lists.

Price is US $ 75 or € 65

Part 6 is a DVD containing the files of 802 miscellaneous Allgemeine-SS and Waffen-SS officers. There are 9,321 pages of documents in the Personalakten of these 802 officers.

Price is US $ 75 or € 65

Signal Officers of the Waffen-SS/Nachrichtenoffiziere der Waffen-SS This was first published in 1995 as a large format book of 499 pages. That book contained detailed biographies of 151 prominent signal officers, 389 mostly original photos, histories of the signal battalions of the first 13 divisions of the Waffen-SS and a register of 1,700 identified Waffen-SS signal officers that included the highlights of their careers and fate. The foreword was written by Rüdiger Weitzdörfer, the former chief of staff of the III.SS-Panzer Korps. This book has been updated and expanded to 576 pages with the biographies of 35 additional signal officers and new chapters with photos and information about veterans’ reunions and garrisons at Berlin-Adlershof, Metz, Nürnberg and Unna. All of that is on one DVD The text is in English. An additional section of the DVD contains 3,102 pages from the personnel files (Personalakten) of 260 prominent officers"".

Waffen211

Post by Waffen211 » 20 Dec 2017, 09:35

I was waiting for the answer from Mr. Moore. how come he does not answer? In my opinion, it is my opinion, the prices are very high. Mr. Moore is certainly praised for his research work, especially his lists of SS officers in alphabetical order and by division are a reference point for all historians, but we must also consider that most of the material he provides comes from from public archives, therefore not owned by Mr. Moore. Also, this is digital and unprinted material, so Mr. Moore has zero expenses.

Waffen211

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 20 Dec 2017, 15:45

At this particular point, maybe he has little to no overhead, but think of how much it cost him getting that material? How much time did he spend organizing it? Retyping it?

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 20 Dec 2017, 20:42

Tom is correct when he says that it cost me a small fortune to acquire this material. Many trips to Europe over 20+ years with weeks spent in archives, battlefields, cemeteries and meeting with knowledgeable Waffen-SS vets. In recent years I continue to make annual trips to Europe where I meet with my many research partners in a number of countries to exchange useful information. I continue to spend several thousand USD every year to acquire new archival material and books which are funded by the sale of my CDs. Significant new information is added every month to the documentations on Disk 1 of “Führerliste”, along with a few corrections. The A-Z list of 26,000+ Waffen-SS officers has grown to 1,674 pages of personal data! This database will continue to grow as new archival material becomes available. A project like mine had never been attempted before and could not have been accomplished on paper media. USD 145 is a reasonable price to pay for my professional services and represents excellent value for the money.

Waffen211

Post by Waffen211 » 20 Dec 2017, 21:30

I never questioned your exceptional research work, but I think you could offer CDs at a lower price. Try it and you will see that you will sell more copies of your CDs.

Waffen211

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 20 Dec 2017, 21:43

Thank you, but I am completely satisfied with my current business model. One of my advisors is a retired university professor who headed an International MBA program at a major Canadian university.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 22 Dec 2017, 13:55

Hi John,

You are entitled to set your own price for your investment of time and resources.

As a matter of interest, why have you restricted yourself to the Waffen-SS?

Can we expect your skills to be extended to other more important areas of the German war effort, such as the Army, Navy and Air Force, all of which are currently under represented by comparison with the Waffen-SS?

Cheers,

Sid.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 24 Dec 2017, 04:27

How many officers served in all three branches of the Wehrmacht, I wonder? Surely far more than the less than 30,000 in the Waffen-SS (and ca. 61,000 in the SS as a whole). Surely far more than it would be remotely feasible to document to any degree of completeness.

And human nature, as I understand it, tends toward people doing what interests them, regardless of how others might prefer them to allocate their time and resources.

I suggest, with all due respect, that you allocate more of your own time and resources to some pursuit outside of questioning other historians' motivations and choice of topics. You've been beating this drum for around two decades now, Sid, and I doubt I'm alone in assessing it to be a well-worn drum indeed.

~ Mike

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 24 Dec 2017, 19:50

Mike is quite right in what he says. I don't believe that it is practical to document the military careers of all Wehrmacht officers in the same manner as I did with "Führerliste". The financial cost to acquire the data, if available, would be prohibitive and it would require a large group of researchers to process and assemble the data. This would be an on-going project as new data becomes available from currently restricted sources. However, it might make sense for someone to document the officers of a small number of OKH divisions or specialized formations such as all officers of the Panzertruppe. I started my research of Waffen-SS officers back in the 1970s out of professional interest as they were something of a mystery to me after coming across some graves in Normandy. This research was only for my personal edification until years later I found that other people had similar interests. My greatest regret is not documenting information sources from the start as that makes it difficult to resolve conflicting data that sometimes surfaces in the present day. I am fortunate to have period documents from multiple sources available. However, such documents sometimes lead to conflicting information when the duty assignments of some officers changed on a daily basis during combat operations.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”