The Reich Revisited

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
jeffhan373

The Reich Revisited

Post by jeffhan373 » 06 Jan 2018, 01:20

Does anyone have any information about this book?

It's huge (460 pp, 11-1/2 x 9 oblong, hardcover). It was published in 2013, but there is no information about the author or the publisher. The book mentions a web site (TheReichRevisited.com), but there's only the cover of the book there when you try the site.

Very lavish book with tons of color, taking a then and now approach to various sites associated with the Nazi era.The same man appears in many of the modern photos.

Odd that there's no introduction or bibliographical details. This must have been very expensive to produce. Anyone know who did this, or how many copies were produced?
TRR.jpg

Mori

Re: The Reich Revisited

Post by Mori » 06 Jan 2018, 14:05

Sounds a lot like a self-published book. The author probably sent a couple to the national library (or whatever equivalent in your country). No author names suggests the author was embarassed signing its 'work'.

This could be because he/she spent such a time visiting the remains of the nazi area and reproducing original / propaganda photographs that his obsession became "uncomfortable"

Another option could be a dispute between photographers or a copyright issue. You suggest there were more than 1 photographer.

Natter

Post by Natter » 06 Jan 2018, 14:12

jeffhan373 wrote:Does anyone have any information about this book?
Is your copy the one sold on eBay last summer?

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 06 Jan 2018, 17:27

I got this on Ebay in December. I had never seen it before and can't find any substantive reference to it on line.

I agree it's self-published. I was in publishing for quite a few years and, believe me, given the stock and quality of reproduction, this book was not cheap to produce. Plus, there can't have been many copies done or they would surface more often.

I have no idea how many photographers were used. Maybe only one. The book is very well done; it covers sites in Munich, Nuremberg, Berchtesgaden and Berlin only.

Mori

Post by Mori » 06 Jan 2018, 21:50

[quote="jeffhan373"
I agree it's self-published. I was in publishing for quite a few years and, believe me, given the stock and quality of reproduction, this book was not cheap to produce. Plus, there can't have been many copies done or they would surface more often.[/quote]

Yes, it's so weird to polish quality of the book, and pay the money that goes with it, but to omit the name of the author. It's not like it was forgotten by mistake.

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 07 Jan 2018, 01:15

Hi All,
Actually, I live in Columbia South Carolina. I'm intrigued by this so I called the telephone number. Only got a phone message machine and I left my name and phone number. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
P.S. The address is in a nice part of town, a residential area off of Forest Drive. A lot of older homes but expensive ones.

all the best, Bill

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 07 Jan 2018, 17:03

There is a signed photo in the book from Rochus Misch to "Todd". So I'm guessing the man in the photos is Todd?

Interestingly, in his lengthy section on Munich, he doesn't include any pictures of Hitler's apartment on the Prinzregentenplatz. I believe this is occupied by a Police unit today, but the outside should be accessible to any photographer.

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 13 Jan 2018, 01:26

Hi All,
After six days I never got a call back from the phone number I called. Either they did not want to be bothered or it may not actually be Todd's number.

all the best, Bill

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”