Memoirs written by wives of the Nazis

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Makarov

Memoirs written by wives of the Nazis

Post by Makarov » 28 Feb 2018, 17:20

I just finished reading the memoirs of Emmy Göring, My Life with Göring, which I enjoyed very much. I guess she wasn't the only one to write down her memoirs but I can't recall anyone else. So, anyone else knowing a wife that has written their memoirs and got them published in English?
Thanks,

J. Duncan

Re: Memoirs written by wife's of the Nazis

Post by J. Duncan » 28 Feb 2018, 21:49

I can think of two: Henriette von Schirach's "The Price of Glory" and Anna Rauschning's "No Retreat" (although Anna writes her book after her husband quit the Nazis).

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 28 Feb 2018, 22:49

J. Duncan wrote:I can think of two: Henriette von Schirach's "The Price of Glory".
Thank's, a quick search on the web resulted in copies for sale around $85. Expensive, but definitely interesting.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 28 Feb 2018, 23:19

Hi Makarov:

What is your impression of My Life with Göring?

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 01 Mar 2018, 08:47

Gorque wrote:What is your impression of My Life with Göring?
Easy reading, knowing that it is a book written by a person who loved and adored her husband and wasn't able to see (or didn't want to) beyond that person. She strongly believes that her husband was more or less innocent what he was condemned for in Nuremberg. She speaks of him as a loving and devoted husband and father who loved his daughter above everything. I didn't expect anything else and I would have been suprised otherwise.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 01 Mar 2018, 15:10

Hi Makarov:

Thank you for the reply. :thumbsup:

I've often wondered how the relatives viewed their loved ones who had been deeply involved with the more sinister workings of the 3rd Reich.

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 03 Mar 2018, 14:38

Lina Heydrich's memoirs "Mein Leben mit Reinhard: Die persönliche Biographie" is still available from Amazon. This editon has been revised by Heider Heydrich.

https://www.amazon.de/Mein-Leben-mit-Re ... s=heydrich

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 03 Mar 2018, 15:10

Unfortunately only in german language. I really admire Europeans in that they usually can speak more than one language. The USA didn't emphasize this ability so much when I was a youth in school. That may have changed over the years. I regret I do not understand german as there are some really interesting books in german language.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 03 Mar 2018, 23:00

Fennicus wrote:Lina Heydrich's memoirs "Mein Leben mit Reinhard: Die persönliche Biographie" is still available from Amazon. This editon has been revised by Heider Heydrich.
Yes, that would have been something to read, but as J. Duncan says, only in german language, and though a speak and read little german it's not enough to take on a whole book. As a consolation I just ordered a copy of Henriette von Schirach, Price of Glory.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 03 Mar 2018, 23:12

Schirach book is good. I got the book originally to find out more about Colin Ross who was a world traveler and writer and a dear friend of the Schirachs. He committed suicide in theor home and was buried on the grounds. Much info on him, Hitler (including the great argument over Dutch Jews which Henriette had with him at the Berghof), and Baldur who she says lived in an ivory tower.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 20 May 2018, 16:01

In early March I ordered a used copy of Henriette von Schirach's, Price of Glory, from http://thebookshop.ie/, discussed earlier in this thread. It was quiet expensive, 76 euro, but I thought it was worth it. However I still haven't received it and I have tried to get in contact with the seller several times by phone, e-mail, messenger and Facebook but they refuse to get back to me. I now believe I won't get this book and my 76 Euro is gone, but I wonder if anyone else here had any experience with this specific bookseller. If not, I strongly recommend to stay away from them.

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 21 May 2018, 11:22

in my opinion domain IE- "Arm Saoirse Náisiúnta na hÉireann"

GWalker

Post by GWalker » 11 Feb 2020, 01:00

Lina Heydrich's memoir of life with Reinhard, her husband, includes an addendum as asked for by the publisher and written, reluctantly, by master Hitler historian Werner Maser. Maser offered the publisher should have requested Lina's book be reviewed by a PSY rather than a historian. He pointed out numerous historical and chronological errors, outright fabrications, deflections of she and her husband's knowledge and actions regarding the extermination policies Reinhard developed, oversaw, and delegated. In short, where the account is certainly an important aspect of the Heydrich story - it is one filtered by a woman who was as ardent a Nazi as her husband and who found her identity as "a princess in a fairy tale" in the cloistered dark sanctuary of the SS both before, during, and after the war.
Greg Walker (ret)
USA Special Forces
Author

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 14 Sep 2020, 06:52

Makarov wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 23:00
Fennicus wrote:Lina Heydrich's memoirs "Mein Leben mit Reinhard: Die persönliche Biographie" is still available from Amazon. This editon has been revised by Heider Heydrich.
Yes, that would have been something to read, but as J. Duncan says, only in german language, and though a speak and read little german it's not enough to take on a whole book. As a consolation I just ordered a copy of Henriette von Schirach, Price of Glory.
Good news for you both. 👍

Lina Heydrich's revised biography has been translated into Czech language too. In true digital age fashion, the book is available to purchase in e-format with options to read as a pdf document. This makes it easy to translate into English in bite size chunks.

This is a genuine release, not a work of online piracy. If you are interested, give me time and I will post the links tomorrow to where you can obtain a copy for a good price.

PS - if you prefer to hold a book in your hand, then you can also purchase the hardback copy from the same vendor. But this would leave you with problems of translation from Czech to English. My advice, go with the digital edition. :thumbsup:

VanillaNuns

Re: Memoirs written by wives of the Nazis

Post by VanillaNuns » 29 Sep 2020, 18:01

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here is the Czech edition of Lina Heydrich book:

https://www.kosmas.cz/knihy/171812/muj- ... einhardem/

If you purchase the digital e-book edition, this comes as a pdf format. So you can copy and paste the paragraphs into Google translate for an English language version.

It's not perfect, but better than nothing as I don't speak German either. The price is about $7 USD / £5.50 GBP

This is the new updated edition of the book with photographs that weren't published in the original. You can see images from it here on another website:

https://www.antikvariatkladno.cz/MUJ-ZI ... d30530.htm

This is a much improved version of the original work with a new introduction by Heider Heydrich.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”