Roger Bender has passed away

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
jeffhan373

Roger Bender has passed away

Post by jeffhan373 » 11 Jan 2020 15:31

Sad, sad news to report. Roger Bender has passed away. I don't have details at the moment. I had an email from him on January 2 and he sounded fine. But now he's gone.

I've known Roger since the 1960s and it's hard to imagine the world without him in it. He has done more to further the knowledge of this period in history than anyone I can think of. And it would be impossible to find a nicer guy.

Words fail me...

Mark Costa

Re: Roger Bender has passed away

Post by Mark Costa » 11 Jan 2020 16:23

It is indeed a very sad day. I too have known Roger for decades. He was always a very gracious and considerate man. As Jeffhan stated, he has done more for this hobby than anyone else. I can't imagine what it would be like without his knowledge and the books that he wrote and published over the last 55 years. We have lost a giant in the world of military history.

Mark Costa

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 11 Jan 2020 17:55

I am completely numb, having only just learned of his passing 20 minutes ago.

Trite as it sounds: Roger Bender was a good man. I knew him well enough to know that with certainty. And we worked very well together for 19 years. Long before we met, I knew him through the books he wrote and published-- which my Mom put under the Christmas tree when I was just a kid. When I proposed the "Leaders of the SS & German Police" series to him in March 2001, he agreed to publish it immediately. "Just get to the archives and get lots of pictures, kid."

Roger Bender trivia: He was a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 11 Jan 2020 22:55

I totally agree with Mark & Mike's comments. Roger was just a good guy. I only got to meet him in person at a few MAX Shows...but those were great days.

We recently had a wild time with an article I did for the magazine on North Korean political propaganda. Roger had to publish his works in China, due to economic concerns, and my piece immediately ran afoul of the powers that be, and they refused to publish it. Apparently my calling Kim Jong Un "a brutal dictator" and referring to the DPRK as a "failed state" was unacceptable. Roger had designed a great front cover for that issue, taking an image from the leading NoKo magazine and replacing its title with that of the M.A. at the top. He refused to take this lying down, and last week told me he had found a printer in California who would do the issue, and might be doing all future issues as well, depending on their quality. But it seems now that all I'll ever see of this is the proof Roger sent me...who knows if there will ever be another issue, or another Bender Book...

In re Mike 's comment about "Buffy", Roger was also a huge fan of "Preacher", the tv show which concluded its run last fall. We had some great emails trying to figure out just what was going on with the show...

Boy, I'll miss him!

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 12 Jan 2020 18:52

What a tremendous loss to the history and the collector community! May our dear friend Roger rest in well-deserved peace and rise into the glory which he so richly deserves.

Br. James

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 13 Jan 2020 02:35

Oh no....sad news indeed. I have a whole shelf of
Bender books. They are so colorful and so well put together too. I got really excited when a Bender book came in the mail. My Bender experience began with Hamilton’s 2 volumes. I know he inspired many authors to produce specialized studies.
How old was Roger?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 13 Jan 2020 06:07

May he RIP. :(

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 13 Jan 2020 08:22

My first book in English and first book on W-SS was Jost W. Schneider's Their Honor was Loyalty! published by Roger J. Bender. In following years purchased many other books written or published by Mr. Bender, e.g. all volumes of Mark Yerger's on German Cross in Gold holders.

I always loved and highly regard books published by Roger J. Bender, in particular high end paper quality, great photos and exceptional content. Those books are essential to our hobby and are "textbooks" and obligatory reading to members. To name one - Angola's book on cloth insignia of SS became bible to every collector and those old copies are now available for excesive amount of money.

I am really sorry to read that Roger J. Bender died. Condolence to the family and RIP.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 14 Jan 2020 12:55

I found out he was 79 years old.

Pz III

Post by Pz III » 15 Jan 2020 02:59

That is very sad news. For the many years I was a book dealer I dealt with Roger and sold his books and always looked forward to the new ones. I only met him once at a show a very long time ago. Our hobby has suffered a great loss. My condolences go out to his family. RIP

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 15 Jan 2020 08:53

Erich2019

Post by Erich2019 » 16 Jan 2020 02:51

Nothing was better than having a new Bender book on your bookshelf! I still remember buying them when they were less than $20.00 in the early 80’s and that he had Bender Bucks in the early issues of the Military Advisor! I spoke to his daughter the other day on the phone and she was very kind as well. She said the family was filling current orders, but would decide the fate of the business at a later date and post it on the Bender website! For anyone who was fortunate enough to publish a book through him, you were very lucky!

Erich

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”