Die Deutsche Wochenschau in HQ?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
PatrickBateman

Die Deutsche Wochenschau in HQ?

Post by PatrickBateman » 17 Mar 2019, 17:56

Hi,

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing most of the time 240p quality of Die Deutsche Wochenschau videos. Are they somewhere available in high-definition? YouTube has a few DDW in HQ, but most are of really bad quality. On the other hand, many documentaires contain DDW footage in really good quality, but, is it most of the time the same footage over and over again while there are tons of unused footage, which can be seen on Youtube but in really bad quality. Why is that? Don't they want to release it?

But is there are place to watch them in HD? Thanks.

Wim

Re: Die Deutsche Wochenschau in HQ?

Post by Wim » 20 Mar 2019, 21:32

Hello,

Mayby is this what you are looking http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 22 Mar 2019, 17:49

Thanks for the tip Wim, but that website is pretty outdated, the plug-in of the videoplayer is too old, it doesn't work on my internet web browser.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 20 Jan 2020, 18:27

I'm still wondering, are there more options like http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/ (which doesn't work for me btw) to find these newsreels in decent quality? I know that many documentaires had acces to these files because they used some of time, but on the other hand, I noticed aswell that many documentaires use the same footage over and over again, while there is WAY MORE available that isn't used yet.

What is the reason that they are almost nowhere to be seen? Is it because it is still a sensitive topic? Or maybe because It could end up in the hands of fanatic neo nazis?

Some archives from the Netherlands released many propaganda videos and photos from the NSB (Dutch "Nazi" party) to be used for free in high definition.

Natter

Post by Natter » 21 Jan 2020, 00:46

Not for free, but I can recommend this set with 85 hours of Wochenschau reels on DVD (with optional english subtitles):
https://www.rarefilmsandmore.com/40-dvd ... -subtitles

Note that they also offer other packages with fewer discs, as well as individual discs (use the search-function).

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 21 Jan 2020, 11:46

Natter wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 00:46
Not for free, but I can recommend this set with 85 hours of Wochenschau reels on DVD (with optional english subtitles):
https://www.rarefilmsandmore.com/40-dvd ... -subtitles

Note that they also offer other packages with fewer discs, as well as individual discs (use the search-function).
I can't lose that amount of money at the moment, but that is still pretty expensive for some dvd's. Do you own them? How good is the quality, because I don't want VHS quality. I know they are out there in high definition (like used in many documentaires).

This is an example of the quality I hope to get of the Wochenschau videos.

Natter

Post by Natter » 21 Jan 2020, 21:29

PatrickBateman wrote:that is still pretty expensive for some dvd's.
True, but not so bad in term of € pr hour (or disc). They were a bit cheaper when I bought it though.
PatrickBateman wrote:How good is the quality, because I don't want VHS quality. I know they are out there in high definition (like used in many documentaires).
I don't have the "technical specs" for the discs, and it's hard to compare the picture from a DVD on a 50" screen with a small 720p thumbnail on the computer screen... :-)

I'm happy with it though. My main reason for getting this set was because it was the largest/most comprehensive collection I was able to find + the added bonus of optional english subtext.
I still haven't watched the entire set, but there are certainly some variations from reel to reel, so I guess they have used various sources for the material. Watching the "raw files" are also slightly better than going via the menu adding english subtext.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 21 Jan 2020, 22:41

PatrickBateman wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 11:46

This is an example of the quality I hope to get of the Wochenschau videos.

If I remember correctly he sells those clips without the watermark. I know the Western Front sections of the Normandy newsreels 16/6 to 17/8 (719 to 728 & 730) are on his site

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 22 Jan 2020, 10:11

Over 1,000$ for one newsreel? Come on.

I know that the documentary series "The World at War" used hours of footage of Die Deutsche Wochenschau, available in HD. But even there, many major battles are, especially of the Eastern Front, are ignored. While there is footage enough of these battles. (such as the siege of Leningrad, Kharkov 1942 and 1943, Caucasus, Narva etc).

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 22 Jan 2020, 12:07

PatrickBateman wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 10:11
Over 1,000$ for one newsreel? Come on.

If I had known that I would not have linked and identified his footage.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 22 Jan 2020, 20:24

Its ok, but I doubt anyone would pay that kind of money for 1 newsreel. Irritating that they are so hard to find in decent quality.

Look at this, one of the final German newsreel of the war. It is almost impossible to watch, such bad quality. In its original quality condition or converted to high definition we could see way more detail, their faces, the gear they are using etc.

Also the Canadian archives released every single newsreel of the war on YouTube in high definition for free.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 23 Jan 2020, 22:52

I just found the documentary series "The War File - Scorched Earth - The Wehrmacht in Russia". This containts three separate parts: Army Group North, Centre, and South. All these parts contain many hours of Wochenschau footage. You can watch them on Youtube, watch a example below, but I want higher quality so Im looking for these documentaires. I found only 1 webshop from my country that offers them but they are sold out. If anyone knows where to find these DVD's or the files online, please let me know.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 23 Jan 2020, 22:59

There used to be entire youtube channels devoted to hosting this material but they were deleted due to copywrite claims.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 24 Jan 2020, 14:45

Cult Icon wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 22:59
There used to be entire youtube channels devoted to hosting this material but they were deleted due to copywrite claims.
Yes, I remember. But even those were at the highest available at 360p or 480p.

Forward00

Post by Forward00 » 04 Apr 2020, 20:27

what is the best version for sale on the market at the moment? DVD

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”