Alcohol and Genocide

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
J. Duncan

Alcohol and Genocide

Post by J. Duncan » 07 Mar 2021, 18:15

Book “Drunk on Genocide “ Edward Westermann relates alcohol consumption and ritual to the Holocaust. Many Nazi perpetrators had problems with alcohol and were often inebriated when they committed their crimes. Looks interesting.

https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/bo ... bookTabs=1

Showing table of contents

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/drunk-on ... 1137166826

J. Duncan

Re: Alcohol and Genocide

Post by J. Duncan » 07 Mar 2021, 22:10

Small discussion on alcohol and genocide from Forum . Guess this book might answer some questions.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120978&p=1392323&h ... k#p1392323

I do not think this book will discuss Nazi leading
personalities and their drinking habits but rather treat the subject using more ordinary, unknown cases from the lower orders who killed and wrote letters home telling about it. I assume this book will be similar to one that was written on suicide in the Third Reich.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Mar 2021, 16:11

Good afternoon J. Duncan,

probably this *pdf file is of some interest for you:

ZUR DEVIANZ-PROBLEMATIK IN DER WEHRMACHT
ALKOHOL- UND RAUSCHMITTELMISSBRAUCH BEI DER TRUPPE

Direct link to the *pdf file https://freidok.uni-freiburg.de/fedora/ ... E1/content

The dissertation at that time was published in 2007/2008.
421 pages, download size 2.03 Megabyte
German language.

Google searchwords were: alkohol wehrmacht

The best of luck for your further research!

Hans1906

P.S. Thanks for the link to the book, unfortunately, I've only found the time to skim the dissertation so far, but it's tough stuff....
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Mar 2021, 18:57

From my personal memory, I remember deeply drunk german veterans from my childhood years.
And not only once, loud music was played, there was bawling, the old songs were sung, what should I remember, drunken veterans.

From our point of view as children, many were cripples,
but we children grew up with their memories, their stories, and we children were fascinated.

I remember the marches of the Stahlhelm associations still in the 1960s.
When the annual Schützenfest took place in our village, all the veterans came and marched along.
Very old men on crutches, in wheelchairs, many men were pushed, they could no longer walk.
German veterans of two world wars.

I still remember these marches today, a formative memory for me, back then we children didn't even know what all that meant.
Formative memories, shadowy, today I am very aware of why the audience at that time applauded, why many spectators cried.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 10 Mar 2021, 01:54

Thanks for your link Hans. Alas if only I could read German with ease although I manage to wade through German Wikipedia articles fairly well so I’m getting better (despite some not so accurate information)
Enjoy your personal anecdotes. Sadly, old traditions are dying away . Here in USA, annual “Oktoberfests” (if I dare call them that) are diminishing . I attended one with an Oompa band - they played a few old tunes and then proceeded to play “Riders on the Storm” (The Doors). I almost fell out of my chair!

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 12 Mar 2021, 20:21

J. Duncan,

the above linked dissertation is excellent, shocking, but probably not answering all your questions.

I will look for more, perhaps even in the english language, very sure there is much more material available.
The old memories about the veterans from our childhood years are forgotten nowadays, maybe still present in a few articles and old photos from that time, unfortunately I don't know.

For us children, the veterans of the world wars at that time were shocking, not to understand.
They are not nice memories, but somehow they still exist in the back of one's head, at least for me.

These old and ancient veterans in their wheelchairs, these were a defining impression.

Hans1906

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”