New Hugh Page Taylor book

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Mark Costa

Re: New Hugh Page Taylor book

Post by Mark Costa » 03 Sep 2021, 01:37

Have already placed my order with Hugh. Waiting anxiously for what I am sure will be a must have book. Anyone who has any of Hugh's previous books knows the quality and high standard of his expertise. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a fantasitic book from one of the great authors in our hobby. Hugh along with Roger Bender started the standard many years ago with his great works on the Waffen SS and of course the invaluable two volumes on the German Police. As stated above -- DO NOT WAIT.

Mark Costa

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 03 Sep 2021, 17:40

For those not able to make it to the MAX, here is the flyer announcing Hugh's new book...

Can't wait for my copy - get yours today!
Foregarden_Max Show flyer_2021.jpg
Foregarden_Max Show flyer_2021.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Sep 2021, 04:28

Hi Jeff, hi pim, Mark, all
Is that email valid? I tried it but it kicks back “mailer daemon” - failed. I checked it carefully for typos , all was fine. Not sure why it won’t work. Maybe he had to stop - too much demand?
I suppose I could try PM through AHF….I’m super excited for this book.

pim

Post by pim » 04 Sep 2021, 07:20

That email address for Hugh on that flyer won't work. You should not include the 'au'. That is try : [email protected]

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Sep 2021, 11:06

I will try it. Thank you for your help pim.

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 11 Sep 2021, 17:47

My copy of Hugh's book has now reached me from Australia. While I haven't had time to get into it in detail, my initial reaction is that the book clearly exceeds my expectations (which were pretty high anyway). Beautifully produced, written in Hugh's usual excellent style, and a veritable treasure trove of information. I can't imagine any book covering this subject so well in the future.

I was surprised by the sheer bulk of the book - it's huge. 564 pp., 8-1/2 x 11, with at least 1000 illustrations, many in color. Quite an addition to one's bookshelf!

It's a must for anyone even remotely interested in the subject. Order it now before it's gone. You will not regret it!

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 14 Sep 2021, 22:03

I received my copy last Friday and have spent literally the entire weekend reading it. It is simply a masterpiece. And as stated by previous reviewers, it certainly exceeded my expectations, which were already very high considering that the name Hugh Page Taylor is on the cover! The information and photos/documents it contains can be found nowhere else. This will be the guidebook for all future research into the Nasjonal Samling and especially Quisling's Bodyguards. As the NS was the most powerful of the collaborationist parties in Europe it modeled itself on the NSDAP. Its organization, Ranks, uniforms, youth movements and other paramilitary units were almost complete duplicates of the NSDAP. It is a wonder that it has not been covered before is this detail. If you are interested in the NS or just want to learn more this is the book for you. I know I have waited decades for a book like this and now we have it. I will now spend months devouring the information. Anyone who knows of the name Hugh Page Taylor knows the type of work and research his does and the quality of his publications. As Jeffhan states above -- Order it before it gone.

Mark Costa

hpt

Post by hpt » 14 Sep 2021, 23:43

Sincere thanks to Jeff and Mark and all those who have shown interest in this book.

Such a reaction makes it all worthwhile!

I am devastated by the printing error on the flyer for the MAX Show and yes, the correct e-mail address is [email protected] - no final au. I'm trying to get the flyers corrected in time!

The first 100 books have all gone, a fair number to the individuals and institutions - mainly in Norway - who helped make the book what it is. but a second printing is under way and should be with me next week (starting 20 September).

Best wishes to all

Hugh

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 25 Sep 2021, 08:47

I have just received my copy of Forergarden and I can only agree with Jeff and Mark: the book is a wonder! I enjoy all sorts of minutiae, and Hugh's book is loaded with them. The graphic design, quality of illustrations and printing are impressive.
-Markus

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 26 Jan 2022, 23:44

Good ole Hugh….a man of his word. It’s now on Amazon for distribution within United States.
I had to jump on it. Who knows how long copies will be available? Back in Sept. I couldn’t afford the price of book 100 plus shipping 60 plus transfer fees (from US to Australian dollars). Hugh was very understanding and said he was trying to get book to a distributor in USA. Thanks Hugh!

https://www.amazon.com/Traitors-Guard-Q ... C93&sr=8-3

Putte

Post by Putte » 16 Jan 2023, 21:37

I just did a Google search and was linked to this thread by coincidence and immediately ordered the book.

I found the sleeve insignia for the green service tunic last week here in Denmark so I look forward to reading the book covering a rather unknown unit history.

The patch is shown on the lower left.

IMG_1902.jpeg

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”