Combat histories focused on a few Days

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
phaze

Re: Combat histories focused on a few Days

Post by phaze » 06 Dec 2022, 22:11

Cult Icon wrote:
04 Jun 2021, 14:11
I favor histories that dig deep into the details and have the most depth of coverage. I find this approach to be the most valuable. However this preferential treatment seems limited to small number of subjects. The most popular appears to be Operation Citadel.

Some examples:

"Seven Days in January: With the 6th SS-Mountain Division in Operation NORDWIND" has a detailed, hourly & day to day history of elements of this unit, with a focus on the battle of Wingen-sur-moder. The focus is limited to 7 days, with a minority portion dedicated to a short unit history of the formation, and its relevance in understanding the skillset of mountain infantry coming from the Artic circle. (North Karelia)

"The First Day on the Eastern Front: Germany Invades the Soviet Union, June 22, 1941" by Luthor's title says it all. A unique approach.

There are also numerous books that cover June 6-June 15, 1944 (or even shorter) of the war crimes and/or combat actions of the 12SS HJ in Normandy.

Recommend, post books and other reference material of this type?
Sorry for the bump but if you see this, and since you seem to be aware of them, could you perchance throw examples of such books as you describe for Battle of Kursk ? I'm looking for something more detailed on how Pz divisions actually functioned and Citadel would be the ideal period for my purposes. From cursory look, the more general battle accounts or even broad divisional histories don't seem to have enough space and time to really delve into things much.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 11 Dec 2022, 05:25

phaze wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 22:11

Sorry for the bump but if you see this, and since you seem to be aware of them, could you perchance throw examples of such books as you describe for Battle of Kursk ? I'm looking for something more detailed on how Pz divisions actually functioned and Citadel would be the ideal period for my purposes. From cursory look, the more general battle accounts or even broad divisional histories don't seem to have enough space and time to really delve into things much.
Kursk Divisional histories aren't detailed enough for your purposes? There is a book by Schneider called "Panzer Tactics". Also Jason Mark's books are among the most detailed, I like "Death of a Leaping Horseman". There are others as well.:

Also countless recollections by Pz officers that give insight. The most hardcore buy primary sources.

https://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Tactics-O ... 9656&psc=1

This question also buggered me for a long time, I just pieced together my own interpretation from many sources.

phaze

Post by phaze » 21 Dec 2022, 23:33

Cult Icon wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 05:25
phaze wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 22:11

Kursk Divisional histories aren't detailed enough for your purposes? There is a book by Schneider called "Panzer Tactics". Also Jason Mark's books are among the most detailed, I like "Death of a Leaping Horseman". There are others as well.:

Also countless recollections by Pz officers that give insight. The most hardcore buy primary sources.

https://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Panzer-Tactics-O ... 9656&psc=1

This question also buggered me for a long time, I just pieced together my own interpretation from many sources.
Are there actually only Kursk divisional histories ? Because unfortunately no, when these have to cover whole yearsit doesn't to have the amount of detail I'd like. I had my hands on Schneider book a long while back and I remember coming away very unimpressed. Death of Leaping Horseman on the other hand is something i was aware of but i think it was kind of beyond my reach + outside of the ideal period&terrain but it seems these got cheaper and about half of it is before getting to Stalingrad. I'll look into it cause that's much more akin to the kind of thing I'm seeking. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by phaze on 21 Dec 2022, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”