Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Michael Kenny
Member
Posts: 8234
Joined: 07 May 2002 19:40
Location: Teesside

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Michael Kenny » 21 Jan 2024 06:18

Michael Miller wrote:
20 Jan 2024 20:45
Let's keep things civil and on-topic gentlemen. And as apolitical as possible, though I know it can be difficult when discussing someone like David Irving.
It would be civil if the ' its all the fault of leftist newspapers' comments had not been introduced. Once that claim was made It could not go unchallenged.

User avatar
Michael Miller
Forum Staff
Posts: 9021
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 22:05
Location: California

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Michael Miller » 21 Jan 2024 06:28

Michael Kenny wrote:
21 Jan 2024 06:18
Michael Miller wrote:
20 Jan 2024 20:45
Let's keep things civil and on-topic gentlemen. And as apolitical as possible, though I know it can be difficult when discussing someone like David Irving.
It would be civil if the ' its all the fault of leftist newspapers' comments had not been introduced. Once that claim was made It could not go unchallenged.
Good point.

But moving forward, let's please shoot for civility as best we can.

Al_Smythe
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: 20 Apr 2021 01:15
Location: US

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Al_Smythe » 21 Jan 2024 18:03

If anyone still cares, I received my books and it looks like Irving’s website got a complete overhaul. Also, now they seem to be shipping from England (as opposed to from FL, where I have gotten all my books from him as far as I can remember).

I had the privilege to speak to Mr. Irving on the phone once. In my humble opinion, he does not deserve the vitriol aimed at him (and certainly not the time in prison!) for presenting a view of history based almost entirely on primary resources.

User avatar
wm
Member
Posts: 8747
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 20:11
Location: Poland

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by wm » 21 Jan 2024 23:44

Although I could prove, using primary sources, that Albert Einstein was a commie. Primary sources are useless if used selectively and without commentary.

User avatar
Westphalia1812
Member
Posts: 564
Joined: 03 Jul 2019 20:01
Location: Germany

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Westphalia1812 » 24 Jan 2024 18:19

harmel wrote:
20 Jan 2024 17:50

Harmel🇬🇧and Proud
You know you're British when you drive your German car to an Irish pub for a pint of Belgian beer before having an Indian meal. When you get home you sit on your Sweedish sofa and watch American programs on your Japanese TV.
I love myself way more than I love you

And I think about killing myself

So, best believe, I thought about killing you today

User avatar
focalpoint
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Jan 2024 01:47
Location: London

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by focalpoint » 25 Jan 2024 01:58

I am a representative of Focal Point Publications and am thrilled to share some updates.

Churchill's War V3 is available for pre-order, and True Himmler 2 is in the works.

Our website has undergone a significant overhaul. We've focused on enhancing user experience, ensuring easier navigation, and providing a more engaging interface.

We've replenished our stock to ensure a wide range of titles are always available. Additionally, we've refined our shipping processes for efficiency, aiming for prompt deliveries. We appreciate your patience for any delays.

We invite you to share your experiences and suggestions regarding our new website.
Al_Smythe wrote:
20 Dec 2023 18:07
Has anyone ordered and received a book recently from them? I ordered a couple in late November and haven’t received them yet. I emailed a couple times, too, but no response. I know sometimes it takes a while to receive books from him since I’m pretty sure it’s a skeleton crew operation, but just wanted to see if anyone else has received anything from them in the last month or so.

I’m almost finished with the Goebbels biography, after finishing the first part of the Himmler one. Hoping the second part of the Himmler bio comes out soon.


Thanks

pim
Member
Posts: 375
Joined: 26 Dec 2006 12:24
Location: Australia

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by pim » 25 Jan 2024 20:48

Your "Churchill's War V3 has been available for pre-order for a couple of years with assurances on dates when it's available. When will it actually be available? Please provide a date you will abide to and not keep on changing it. The last assurance was that it will be shipped by December 2023. You quickly take the money but don't deliver. It's all well and good enhancing your website, enhancing user experience, etc. etc. But it means nothing if you don't deliver what you advertise! Sorry - Not good enough.

harmel
Member
Posts: 3608
Joined: 30 Jan 2005 20:18
Location: leicestershire UK

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by harmel » 27 Jan 2024 17:22

Hi Westphalia I do have an Audi A4 which is a year old which helps the
German Car Industry.
Also proud of the the fact that the British alongside the USA and French were involved in
the Berlin Air Lift providing vital supplies to stop the Soviets from blockading West Berlin
and not forgetting serving with the British Army on the Rhine with our US and French friends to
prevent any attack on your country by Soviet Forces.
I rest my case
Kind Regards Harmel

prevent

User avatar
Westphalia1812
Member
Posts: 564
Joined: 03 Jul 2019 20:01
Location: Germany

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Westphalia1812 » 29 Jan 2024 19:06

harmel wrote:
27 Jan 2024 17:22


Also proud of the the fact that the British alongside the USA and French were involved in
the Berlin Air Lift providing vital supplies to stop the Soviets from blockading West Berlin
and not forgetting serving with the British Army on the Rhine with our US and French friends to
prevent any attack on your country by Soviet Forces.
I rest my case
Kind Regards Harmel

prevent
Which I am very thankful for. And btw, some West Germans were also involved during the Cold War. Oh and what do you mean by 'your country'? I was born in 2002, in a united Germany. I am neither west or east German.

I am just wondering why your username is the name of a SS officer...
I love myself way more than I love you

And I think about killing myself

So, best believe, I thought about killing you today

David Thompson
Forum Staff
Posts: 23722
Joined: 20 Jul 2002 19:52
Location: USA

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by David Thompson » 31 Jan 2024 03:24

Westphalia 1812 -- Please post by the forum PM service such personal questions to Harmel.

User avatar
Westphalia1812
Member
Posts: 564
Joined: 03 Jul 2019 20:01
Location: Germany

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Westphalia1812 » 31 Jan 2024 18:37

David Thompson wrote:
31 Jan 2024 03:24
Westphalia 1812 -- Please post by the forum PM service such personal questions to Harmel.
Okay sure.
I love myself way more than I love you

And I think about killing myself

So, best believe, I thought about killing you today

User avatar
focalpoint
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Jan 2024 01:47
Location: London

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by focalpoint » 06 Feb 2024 03:09

Unfortunately, last October, after arriving in Florida, David Irving fell ill and has been in declining health ever since. He is now back in the UK and requires round-the-clock care. He was hospitalised for nearly two months. As a result, we have had to delay V3.

Please do contact us at [email protected], mentioning your post here and I will do my best to make things right.

https://irvingbooks.com/blog/support-david-irving/
pim wrote:
25 Jan 2024 20:48
Your "Churchill's War V3 has been available for pre-order for a couple of years with assurances on dates when it's available. When will it actually be available? Please provide a date you will abide to and not keep on changing it. The last assurance was that it will be shipped by December 2023. You quickly take the money but don't deliver. It's all well and good enhancing your website, enhancing user experience, etc. etc. But it means nothing if you don't deliver what you advertise! Sorry - Not good enough.

User avatar
Michael Miller
Forum Staff
Posts: 9021
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 22:05
Location: California

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Michael Miller » 09 Feb 2024 16:20

David Irving is dying. This is the odious legacy he leaves behind as one of the most abhorrent Jew-haters since Julius Streicher and Dr. Joseph Goebbels:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/we-caught ... -a-hot-mic

Many claim he is not an antisemite and Holocaust denier; those who do so are, to put it as kindly as I can, vile and stupid.

[Note: The transcription in the image is mine, as are any errors that may appear there.]

~ Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Al_Smythe
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: 20 Apr 2021 01:15
Location: US

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by Al_Smythe » 13 Feb 2024 15:27

focalpoint wrote:
25 Jan 2024 01:58
I am a representative of Focal Point Publications and am thrilled to share some updates.

Churchill's War V3 is available for pre-order, and True Himmler 2 is in the works.

Our website has undergone a significant overhaul. We've focused on enhancing user experience, ensuring easier navigation, and providing a more engaging interface.

We've replenished our stock to ensure a wide range of titles are always available. Additionally, we've refined our shipping processes for efficiency, aiming for prompt deliveries. We appreciate your patience for any delays.

We invite you to share your experiences and suggestions regarding our new website.
Al_Smythe wrote:
20 Dec 2023 18:07
Has anyone ordered and received a book recently from them? I ordered a couple in late November and haven’t received them yet. I emailed a couple times, too, but no response. I know sometimes it takes a while to receive books from him since I’m pretty sure it’s a skeleton crew operation, but just wanted to see if anyone else has received anything from them in the last month or so.

I’m almost finished with the Goebbels biography, after finishing the first part of the Himmler one. Hoping the second part of the Himmler bio comes out soon.


Thanks
Thank you for the update. Any idea on when Himmler 2 might be available for preorder? Also, I have a preorder of Churchill volume 3 in process; I don’t mind waiting but if you could share any anticipated timelines it might help stave off the sort of complaints like from the fellow above.

Also, I really like the overhauled website, and the choice to pay a little extra for a signed book was a great touch.

Thank you very much.

stolypin
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 21:10
Location: Arkansas, USA

Re: Focal Point (David Irving)- out of commission?

Post by stolypin » 17 Feb 2024 16:22

Michael Miller wrote:
19 Jan 2024 05:13
stolypin wrote:
18 Jan 2024 17:14
Michael Miller wrote:
24 Dec 2023 02:48
Al_Smythe wrote:
21 Dec 2023 22:33
Yeah, I think you’re probably right. My credit card was charged and all that, so I’m just going to sit tight and see what happens. I don’t think I’d even request a refund if the books never came; the guy’s been through so much just for trying to get history right that I’d just consider it a donation.
What you've posted here is historical revisionism. David Irving has not been punished and disgraced "just for trying to get history right". Rather, he has suffered the just consequences of denying actual historical events and defaming those who were exterminated and those who survived. This article provides a good summary: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/ ... hefarright.

~ Mike
I love your books and own most of them. But I sure hope you never suffer what someone deems "just consequences" for writing about things someone finds controversial or disagreeable.
Nah, that's not going to happen to me.
There is a subtle difference between writing books of raw biographical data and denying that Jews were exterminated in gas chambers or speaking to gatherings of neo-Nazis.
I appreciate your concern, though.

All that being said, much of Irving's work has great value and I have relied on it in my own research, including the use of excerpts from his writings on Goebbels, Hanke, Hitler, etc.

~ Mike
That's right, it can't happen to those who safely write only "raw biographical data." But it can to those who, like Solzhenitsyn, bravely wish to speak out and express contrary views. I have a special place on my book shelf for those authors (Solzhenitsyn being the most prominent, having spent 8 years in Gulag and eventually being expelled from his homeland for expressing views that at his time and place were deemed no less antithetical than Irving's). While I like your books, they are on a shelf below.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”