David Irving plans to end career with Himmler biography

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Scott Smith

Re: David Irving...

Post by Scott Smith » 14 Dec 2002, 02:28

Roberto wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:
Wolf wrote:'Publishing' his books on the net, well, there is something desperate about that... not to say pathetic... :D
Well, the books are free, uncensored, and so much the better for the intellectually curious.
Who are the "intellectually curious"?
They know who they are, whether they like Irving or not; they study, absorb, keep an open mind, and learn.
Of the two I read, I liked The Trail of the Fox.

The other one, Uprising, about the Hungarian revolt of 1956, was also not so bad - except for funny remarks like Hungary being the traditional separation wall between Latin romanticism, German materialism and Slav sub-culture, which reminded me of
Making hay out of straw, I think. The same can be said for any "civilized" society on the frontiers with another, culturally or otherwise. That is why the Romans called the Germans barbarians. Here is the offending passage:
David Irving wrote:
POOR HUNGARY! A thousand years of history had ended. Compressed into
36,000 square miles of rolling plains, their country disembowelled by rapacious neighbours after two world wars, these ten million had seldom enjoyed any but the briefest respite from repression and enslavement. They prided themselves on being the farthest outpost of Roman Catholicism and Protestantism in Eastern Europe, and on having introduced parliamentary and constitutional government into Eastern Europe centuries before their neighbours; their eastern frontier marked the traditional divide between German materialism, Latin romanticism and Slav sub-culture.

Uprising, P. 30.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 14 Dec 2002, 02:38

Nagelfar wrote:"untermenschen"? - sad that those germans had such a smeer campaign
against their own ally :lol:
What are you talking about? The Hungarians are not Slavs but Magyars, who speak a Finno-Ugric language like Estonian or Finnish and maybe Basque.

There was no Nazi smear campaign against the Latin races, i.e., those who spoke the Romance languages: French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese.

Germans and Hungarians and even Poles traditionally saw themselves on the frontiers of Western civilization.
:)

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 14 Dec 2002, 02:41

Wolf wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:Let me just thank you from (almost) all webmasters for those kind words ;-)
Don't know what's so kind about them... :?
A little gentle sarcasm. Some work on the Internet is an intense and valuable labor-of-love and available for nothing (or sometimes the mere bother of shooting down a pop-up ad). If it's free that doesn't necessarily make it crap.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 14 Dec 2002, 02:49

What are you talking about?
just look at the picture above my post, then at the picture in my post. certainly they mananged to touch on mussolini's features now, or am I the only one to see irony in this? :P

Wolf

Post by Wolf » 14 Dec 2002, 03:45

Scott Smith wrote:A little gentle sarcasm.
Or a reaction to the Irving debate...? :D

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 14 Dec 2002, 07:20

Nagelfar wrote:
What are you talking about?
just look at the picture above my post, then at the picture in my post. certainly they mananged to touch on mussolini's features now, or am I the only one to see irony in this? :P
You don't think Musso was a handsome brute?
:wink:

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 14 Dec 2002, 08:14

You don't think Musso was a handsome brute?
oh certainly! :lol:

the question of the matter was whether they came up with a face alittle too much like his in that "untermenschen" poster.. (I wonder if benito ever saw it, and thought for a split second he was seeing an army behind himself in a mirror 8O )

Dan

Post by Dan » 14 Dec 2002, 17:35

Wolf wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:A little gentle sarcasm.
Or a reaction to the Irving debate...? :D
Have you sent in a small donation to help pay Marcus for the costs of this forum? If you haven't, it is free for you, right? Do you consider this forum worthless because it is free?

Wolf

Post by Wolf » 14 Dec 2002, 23:22

Dan wrote:Have you sent in a small donation to help pay Marcus for the costs of this forum?
No.
Dan wrote:If you haven't, it is free for you, right?

Yes.
Dan wrote:Do you consider this forum worthless because it is free?
I think people value all sorts of things higher if they are forced to pay for them.

Books that are 'handed' out for free... well... :lol:

Meech

Post by Meech » 15 Dec 2002, 02:58

I have to agre with Bill ...

Irving's book "Hitler's War" was, well, interesting with a unique approach.

His works on Goebbels was equally informative, seemingly well researched and a good addtion to Reuth's work....

The books on Dresden, Hess ... worthwhile.

I can't say any of his works are definitive - I don't yet know - but they do add, in a valuable way, to the body of knowledge on the various subjects.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 15 Dec 2002, 03:52

Nagelfar wrote:
Scott wrote:You don't think Musso was a handsome brute?
oh certainly! :lol:

the question of the matter was whether they came up with a face alittle too much like his in that "untermenschen" poster.. (I wonder if benito ever saw it, and thought for a split second he was seeing an army behind himself in a mirror 8O )
How they look may not be why they are considered Untermensch, assuming that they really are so considered. The question is why the public whom the propaganda is intended for find the images repulsive.

However, I don't see what this has to do with David Irving.

Matt Gibbs

TOPIC !

Post by Matt Gibbs » 15 Dec 2002, 10:51

Thanks Scott, I was just wondering why I wasn't seeeing many replies about the posted topic when you brought up the same thing...
Irving's 'finale' work on Himmler. I thought at the moment he was only collecting data and researching, I doubt the book will be published for a while, unless someone knows different..?

Regards

Matt Gibbs

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”