New book about Norwegian volunteers of the Waffen-SS

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Martin Månsson

New book about Norwegian volunteers of the Waffen-SS

Post by Martin Månsson » 21 Nov 2002, 14:56

One new book about the Norwegian volunteers has been published. At the moment this book is only available in Norwegian. For those on the forum who are able to read Norwegian the book is recommended. Read the article that was published today: http://www.gd.no/vis_sak.asp?refnum=8334

Eventual bookorders can be made through me, either by a PM or by e-mail: [email protected]

320 pages, many illustrations with unique photos from a private archive. Cost is NOK 325

Best
Martin

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 21 Nov 2002, 15:08

Thanks for the tip, what format is it?

regards

Wolf

Post by Wolf » 24 Nov 2002, 02:10

There is another rather good book in Norweigan, called 'De som tappte krigen', dealing with the loosers of the war - both SS volunteers and Norwegian communist agents... recommended.

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 06 Dec 2002, 18:12

Well - both the author of the new book, Egil Ulateig, and the older one mentioned by Wolff, Kjell Fjørtoft, are jourmalists rather than historians, I must admit that I think this is somewhat apparent in their work. For literature on Norwegian SS volunteers, I would rather recommend three older works:

"Fra Finland til Kaukasus" by one F.Halle is a highly readable if not very critical depiction based on veterans accounts. It is likely out of print though, I think it was published during the 60s

"Frontkjemper" by Per Johansen is another readable and quite interesting autobiography, more recently published. (mid-90s?)

Finally, the only really scholarly and objective appraisal in existence AFAIK is Sverre Blindheim's book - I forget it's title. I remember it as detailed, fair and objectively inclined. Blindheim's own background was as a member of the resistance.

cheers

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”