Review: Odyssey of a Phillippine Scout

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
sniper1shot

Review: Odyssey of a Phillippine Scout

Post by sniper1shot » 14 Dec 2006, 06:06

Title: Odyssey of a Phillippine Scout
Authour: Arthur Kendal Whitehead
ISBN: 0-9717650-4-9 & 978-0-9717650-4-7
Publisher: The Aberjona Press
Stars: 5
(out of 5)

I had been waiting for this book when I knew it was coming out and when I received it I was not disappointed.
This book covers the Phillippine Scouts (26 Cav) during the Japanese invasion and then goes on to cover the authour and his escape and journey to Australia.
Book is broken into 4 parts. Before the war....covers the authour getting to the Phillipines etc, The Japanese Invade...the only combat in the book, Derelicts....the authour making his way down the Island chains, and The Long Sail.....finally sailing to Australia.
There are some good battle descriptions and when the authour is on the run/hiding, you feel you are with him.
The parts where the authour is on the "safe" islands (no Japanese), you find out how there were other military personal that escaped and how some wanted to continue the fight while others were content to stay where they were until the war was over. Not to mention the islanders and their agendas concerning the soldiers. That was interesting to read.
The book flows smoothly and makes for a good read.

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 14 Dec 2006, 06:27

I've never read the book you reviewed but if you liked it I can suggest an excellent, first person account of being on the run and organizing resistance in the Phillipines.

It is "Lieutenant Ramsey's War: From Horse Soldier to Guerilla Commander", By Edwin Price Ramsey and Stephen J. Rivele.

Ramsey at one time was the most wanted man by the Kempetai. He even underwent an emergency appendectmy in the jungle without pain medication and continued on with his mission of organizing what would be thousands of resistance fighters against the Japanese. sending reports bt shortwave radio to his contacts in Australia, narrowly escaping capture on many occasions.

sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot » 14 Dec 2006, 07:01

Always looking for good memoirs. Do you know where I can find the book?

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 14 Dec 2006, 22:04

sniper1shot wrote:Always looking for good memoirs. Do you know where I can find the book?
It's available at all the major booksellers.

B&N

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”