Excellent Book on German Fighter Aces of ww2

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
The Desert Fox

Excellent Book on German Fighter Aces of ww2

Post by The Desert Fox » 28 Dec 2002, 17:36

For Christmas I purchased myself the Book.

"Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe" by Col.Raymond F.Toliver and Treveor J.Constable and I must say it is an excellent read with fantastic photo's of just about every fighter ace who scored 100+ victories in the air. It has fascinating stats on both the air war, at both day and night. I thoroughly recomend it as a book.

regards
The Desert Fox

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 29 Dec 2002, 05:08

Sounds interesting. I have always been fascinated by the Luftwaffe. Can you provide the list of those fighter Ace with 100+ victories.

Best Regards
Last edited by Benoit Douville on 29 Dec 2002, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

The Desert Fox

German Aces with 200+ Victories

Post by The Desert Fox » 29 Dec 2002, 07:10

There are too many to list, my friend, so I will give you those with 200+ Victories. Enjoy!

Erich Hartmann - 352
Gehard Barkhorn - 301
Gunther Rall - 275
Otto Kittel - 267
Walter Nowotny - 258
Willheim Batz - 237
Erich Rudorffer - 224
Heinrich Barr - 221
Hermann Graf - 212
Heinz Ehrler - 208
Theo Weissenberger - 208
Hans Philipp - 206
Walter Schuck - 206
Anton Hafner - 204
Helmut Lipfert - 203

regards
The Desert Fox

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 29 Dec 2002, 19:01

Interesting list with Ace with 200+ victories.

Best Regards

ChristopherPerrien

Another good book- fighters/airwar Europe

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 29 Dec 2002, 21:20

Adolf Galland (head of the fighters/luftwaffe) wrote a book which I consider the best book on that whole airwar, Forgot the name (old age I guess, I'm 36), but I'm sure it would pop up real quick with a search, or I'm sure someone here knows it.

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 29 Dec 2002, 21:32

What about Mike Spick books on Luftwaffe aces? Worth purchasing? Considering this at moment, this is, except his books there rarely any literature on this subject in estonian language (and proper price).
Any suggestions? Navy and aircraft are quite dark territory for me in WW2 so I want to learn about them.

Regards

The Desert Fox

Re: Another good book- fighters/airwar Europe

Post by The Desert Fox » 01 Jan 2003, 03:48

ChristopherPerrien wrote:Adolf Galland (head of the fighters/luftwaffe) wrote a book which I consider the best book on that whole airwar, Forgot the name (old age I guess, I'm 36), but I'm sure it would pop up real quick with a search, or I'm sure someone here knows it.
The Book wouldnt be his biography :The First and the last" would it? Just finishing reading that before I brought the book which started this thread.

I am 35, just one year younger than you friend and we must not give in to old age grrrrrrrrrrr :) :)

regards
The Desert Fox

Bobbie

Galland

Post by Bobbie » 07 Jan 2003, 07:06

Another good recommendation if you're interested in the life of Adolph Galland and really the Luftwaffe was the biography that Toliver and Constable did of him with his cooperation. "The Fighter General" was written in probably the late 80's and Galland intros the book himself and says that they knew things that he didn't know when he wrote "The First and The Last" . Such as the Enigma and Ultra devices that basically allowed the RAF to know pretty much his every move. He also contributed many pictures from his own private collection that had never been published before.

Bobbie

The Desert Fox

Re: Galland

Post by The Desert Fox » 07 Jan 2003, 08:47

Bobbie wrote:Another good recommendation if you're interested in the life of Adolph Galland and really the Luftwaffe was the biography that Toliver and Constable did of him with his cooperation. "The Fighter General" was written in probably the late 80's and Galland intros the book himself and says that they knew things that he didn't know when he wrote "The First and The Last" . Such as the Enigma and Ultra devices that basically allowed the RAF to know pretty much his every move. He also contributed many pictures from his own private collection that had never been published before.

Bobbie
Excellent! Thanks for the Tip Bobbie, I shall certainly look out for that book. If its half as good as the book which started this thread, I will be happy.

Any good suggestions where I might get a copy?

Thanks again
The Desert Fox

Bobbie

Re: The Fighter General

Post by Bobbie » 07 Jan 2003, 08:59

Hi Desert Fox:

This is an excellent site and I've ordered several things from them and they've been really great! They do have it in stock. Their email address is [email protected]. It's a site that is dedicated to all things WWII. Check out the German Wartime Newsreels. I ordered one from them and it was amazing! The quality and clarity of the films was excellent! I think the web site is titled "World War II Books & Videos". I notice you're from Australia...this is in the US. Hope that isn't a problem.

Bobbie

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 07 Jan 2003, 12:01

Hmmm, that list doesn't seem complete. For instance Walter Krupinski is missing.

regards

The Desert Fox

Why Walter Krupinski missed out?

Post by The Desert Fox » 07 Jan 2003, 14:31

charlie don't surf wrote:Hmmm, that list doesn't seem complete. For instance Walter Krupinski is missing.

regards
Alas my friend Walter Krupinski was not included as he had 197 kills, and my list was of those with 200+

regards
The Desert Fox

The Desert Fox

Re: The Fighter General

Post by The Desert Fox » 07 Jan 2003, 14:40

Bobbie wrote:Hi Desert Fox:

This is an excellent site and I've ordered several things from them and they've been really great! They do have it in stock. Their email address is [email protected]. It's a site that is dedicated to all things WWII. Check out the German Wartime Newsreels. I ordered one from them and it was amazing! The quality and clarity of the films was excellent! I think the web site is titled "World War II Books & Videos". I notice you're from Australia...this is in the US. Hope that isn't a problem.

Bobbie
Yes Australia does have a different television format from the USA, however I own a video machine which plays your video format as well as our own. I would love to check out the site. Shall try and see if I can find it now. Fingers crossed :) If you find the actual address forward it to me. I would appreciate it.

Thanks also for the information on the book.

regards
The Desert Fox

The Desert Fox

World War II Books & Videos webste

Post by The Desert Fox » 07 Jan 2003, 14:54

Thanks Bobbie your a legend :D :D

Found the site ok, and it certainly is a treasure trove. I can see my credit card getting a battering some time this year. :lol: :lol:

You havnt heard how reliable they might be with overseas customers by any chance?

regards
The Desert Fox

Bobbie

WWII Books and Videos

Post by Bobbie » 08 Jan 2003, 18:03

Hey Desert Fox!

I don't know how they are with overseas orders but they are pretty good domestically. I ordered a video from them and it got here in less than three days. I ordered some books from Amazon.com the same day and thought I'd get them before the video but I still haven't received them. I checked my order with Amazon and they said they wouldn't be delivered until mid February. That would have been two months after I ordered them! I then emailed Judith at WWII Books, because I just ordered another video and she had the books in stock and is sending out the books this week with my new video. If only I would have ordered the books from them in the first place I would have had them before Christmas! Oh well, live and learn. I think that they're a little more personable because it's a family run business and a person (Judith) emails you back as oppose to some big corporation.

Bobbie

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”