review "Platz der Leibstandarte"

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

review "Platz der Leibstandarte"

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 13 Apr 2002, 15:45

"Platz der Leibstandarte" by George Nipe and Remy Spezzano. RZM Publishing. Hardbound, 296 pages, 500+ photos, maps and paintings. Retail $55.00

I think the photo books on Waffen-SS topics done in the US are better in many ways than the old Munin titles and this is an example. Binding, paper quality and photo reproduction quality are excellent. Also many of the photos are new and detailed captions are appreciated. I didn't care for the painted portraits, you can tell who they were supposed to be but not my idea of a portrait, but that is taste and does not matter in the book's value. Again just taste, I liked the cover design as a lot I see are a bit ugly or to "busy." For armor researchers/model builders, those interested in the last big Waffen-SS victory or those who especially like the Leibstandarte and its personalities, the book is a must have. I'm aware how hard it is to get clear detailed photos within a topic but hope the publisher will attempt similar books on other battles, as well as other Waffen-SS or Army units.

Mark

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 13 Apr 2002, 18:55

Mark,
Been thinking of getting this title and now I will!I really dont care for the painted porttaits in books either, but oh well!I like the glossy pictures as well than the im bild books from Germany.
Thanks,
Mike

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”