LAST LAURELS: The German Defence of Upper Silesia

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Shoobedoo

LAST LAURELS: The German Defence of Upper Silesia

Post by Shoobedoo » 08 Dec 2008 19:13

Has anybody got this title in their library....."LAST LAURELS: The German Defence of Upper Silesia, January-May 1945" by Georg Gunter and published by Helion...?? To the best of my knowledge, it's available in Hardcover form only, and copies in nice condition are fetching $100 or more on ebay and Amazon marketplace. I would like opinions from anyone who has read this book. Thanks.

Jan-Hendrik

Re: LAST LAURELS: The German Defence of Upper Silesia

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 08 Dec 2008 19:23

I have the original german edition...and can recommend it :) Really fine volume with many, many firtst hand accounts on Schlesien 1945 8-)

Jan-Hendrik

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 08 Dec 2008 20:09

It is only available in hardback in English (A4 size). It is very nicely produced by Helion - nice paper, good images... but... they stretch the text over a single column 8O (a cardinal design error). If your eyes can stand it, it's an excellent read and well worth buying.

Copies for $35 on Abe from the UK (bargain for you Yanks given the Pound is going down the pan...)

Or you can pick up a German paperback (minus images from memory) for about 10 Euros.

Shoobedoo

Post by Shoobedoo » 08 Dec 2008 20:51

Thanks for the replies gents. I just picked up a copy in mint condition on ebay for $50 including delivery, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Kunikov

Post by Kunikov » 09 Dec 2008 01:45

I have a copy, wasn't too impressed with it.
"Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest violence." Jewish proverb
"This isn't Paris, you will not get through here with a Marching Parade!" Defenders of Stalingrad

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 09 Dec 2008 01:58

An odd decision (or poor photo researchers?) to use a photo of a model on page 283

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 09 Dec 2008 09:21

a cardinal design error
Not really. I find it more reader friendly than to split into two or more columms. For example this was the only disappointment when I received Timm Haasler' one on PzBrg 105, the splitting was anything else than "reader friendly" :roll:
An odd decision (or poor photo researchers?) to use a photo of a model on page 283
Who buys such books for the picuteres? The text input is what matters :P

Jan-Hendrik

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 09 Dec 2008 10:17

Jan-Hendrik wrote:
Who buys such books for the picuteres? The text input is what matters
No one noticed it was a model. That is what matters.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 09 Dec 2008 12:05

Jan-Hendrik wrote:
a cardinal design error
Not really. I find it more reader friendly than to split into two or more columms. For example this was the only disappointment when I received Timm Haasler' one on PzBrg 105, the splitting was anything else than "reader friendly" :roll:
Really? I find it very tiring on the eyes. In my day job, I never stretch text over more than two columns (9 cms). Mind you, I do break quite a lot of typographical and design rules elsewhere... 8O
Jan-Hendrik wrote: Who buys such books for the picuteres? The text input is what matters :P
That used to be my attitude entirely, but in the past two years I have come to buy a lot of picture books - they are very useful for descriptions when it comes to writing narrative (a trick I learned from Erik Larson's excellent Isaac's Storm). :)

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 09 Dec 2008 16:56

Really? I find it very tiring on the eyes.
Maybe I am old-fashioned, but I simply hate that :D

Jan-Hendrik

Shoobedoo

Post by Shoobedoo » 19 Dec 2008 14:41

Perhaps odd, but not likely poor photo research, the book doesn't attribute the photo in question as that of an actual tank, it simply says "Jagdpanzer IV, a late war scourge of soviet armor" so I personally don't find this to be a major flaw. This is really a fine title and a worthy addition to anyone's library in my opinion. The book is of high quality as previously mentioned, with excellent boards and paper, and contains quite a few nice photos which I personally have not seen before. It is a large format book with a good readable typeface, and this is no small consideration for people whose eyesight is not as good as it once was. All things considered I'm very pleased with this book and would recommend it to anyone who has more than a passing interest in the German defense of Upper Silesia, a subject which has not received much attention in English language publications.

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 20 Dec 2008 06:52

Aside from that one picture--the book is excellent in its use of personal accounts.

One thing to be noted--again aside from that d**ned picture of a model--this was the first book I ever read that had an account describing the use of the Jagdpanzer IV/70 derived from actual crewmen sources. So, for armor fans, this makes it a very interesting book indeed!

Bestens,
~D, the EviL

Forward00

Post by Forward00 » 19 Jul 2019 15:17

David C. Clarke wrote:
20 Dec 2008 06:52
Aside from that one picture--the book is excellent in its use of personal accounts.

One thing to be noted--again aside from that d**ned picture of a model--this was the first book I ever read that had an account describing the use of the Jagdpanzer IV/70 derived from actual crewmen sources. So, for armor fans, this makes it a very interesting book indeed!

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
does this book still hold its value or are there better to be had?

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”