Axis Europa

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Marcus

Axis Europa

Post by Marcus » 21 Mar 2009 11:27

I recieved the below in a newsletter from the publisher Axis Europa:

Goodbye to Europa books…and Back to basics…
…for a new company that delivers quality…
…affordability…while producing rare out of print titles as well as new works!

Out with the old, in with the new!

Academic Publishing Group has been created with several goals in mind:
First, as we are touting above, we are committed to providing old as well as NEW material on the history of the Axis forces in World War II.
Second, we will concentrate more on providing well edited works – NOT quickie books that look shoddy and whose material is equally suspect.
Third, we promise to produce our books in 6x9 format, employing high quality, 70lb paper and 10-point laminate covers (perfect bound).
Fourth, we will produce these high quality trade paperback books at a relatively low cost.
For example, our first two books in the APG line are 140 pages long, have been edited carefully, have had substantial NEW material added and expanded and sell for a relatively low price ($25.00 per book).
Fifth, we will NEVER offer books which have not yet been produced! No advance sales will be offered or taken.
Sixth, in an attempt to keep the integrity and academic quality of our books, we will no longer add redundant or irrelevant artwork or photographs to our works. This will not only give our line of books academic weightiness that before was quite lacking. In addition, the works will be thorough while being concise.
These are the six goals that APG will live by. In about 3-4 weeks the first two books in our new line will be back from the printers. At which point we will invite you to place an order for these new works.

/Marcus

Carnaro

Re: Axis Europa

Post by Carnaro » 21 Mar 2009 23:34

does this means that Mr Munoz will stop his overprolific, low-quality and redundant production?
It's a good news, better late than ever. :D
Look my reply at this post:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=146940&p=1274450&hilit=Hitler%27s+white+russians#p1274408

Max

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 23 Mar 2009 16:30

Marcus Wendel wrote:I recieved the below in a newsletter from the publisher Axis Europa:

Goodbye to Europa books…and Back to basics…
…for a new company that delivers quality…
…affordability…while producing rare out of print titles as well as new works!

Out with the old, in with the new!

Academic Publishing Group has been created with several goals in mind...

/Marcus

Hello Marcus,

Did the newsletter mention any web site for the Academic Publishing Group or anything about who is running it or where it is located?

Markus

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 24 Mar 2009 07:26

Well, I think, once again dupe on ears. In purely technical plan - yes, probably, but solid research - hardly.

Regards,
Igor

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Mar 2009 20:32

I forgot to paste the text of the email itself, the above was from the attached pdf.

Dear Valued customers:

Please note that Europa Books has had to reorganize. We have new information regarding our new company. Please note that for the next several months, you will still be able to order Europa Books from the regular Europa Books web line. However, our new company name and business address is listed in the PDF file attached to this Email. Kindly open and print it out so you may record the new information. The file also lists the first two titles in a new line of books.

The quaility and affordability, as well as the level of edition and book presentation of these books will be superior. Please allow us to regain your confidence. Our company may have lost its way over the years, but it is now led by a new owner who has specific goals and designs for the company.

In effect, you are getting a new person and a new firm. Our existing inventory will eventually revert to this new business venture. In the meantime, you may still order the books through our web site.

I would like to personally apologize that over the years the quality of Europa Books was so erratic. However, I am sure that under the new leadership I will be able to continue to present you with my works on the history of the Axis Forces, as well as new writers who will come down the pipeline.

For you old timers out there, you have my undying thanks for your loyal support over the years!

Sincerely,
Antonio J. Munoz
Europa Books, Inc.

antoniojmunoz

Post by antoniojmunoz » 25 Mar 2009 13:57

Well, I think, once again dupe on ears. In purely technical plan - yes, probably, but solid research - hardly.

Regards,
Igor

Dear Igor:

You have every right to question the shoddy quality of some of the books produced by Europa Books. I myself realize the mistake that was made in an attempt to get more material out there, but to question my research is not very fair.

(1) I have a graduate degree in history, (2) I am a professor of history, (3) I teach history at the State University of New York at Farmingdale (my education email address: munozaj@farmingdale.edu), and (4) I have had books published not only through my now defunct company, but through other firms (Paladin Press & now APG).

What, may I ask, are your qualifications to judge me?

Antonio J Munoz

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 30 Nov 2009 19:29

Hi Guys,

Certainly Axis Europa books had a wildly variable quality, both in production values and content, and they were often weak on analysis. They also often had a noticeably anti-Communist political bent that was less than academic in detachment.

But, that said, Axis Europa constantly broke new ground, and there were some truly outstanding books amongst its repertoir, particularly on the Hungarian Army.

I would also note that some Axis Europa books addressed the so-called "Holocaust" honestly and that Antonio Munoz himself was not afraid of engaging with critics, as an acknowledgement in "The Myth of the Eastern Front" testifies.

I therefore definitely regret the passing of Axis Europa, which was almost unique in giving us a good cross section of books on the complex mix of major and minor nationalities who got caught up in the coat tails of the Wehrmacht. Its departure leaves something of a vacuum and an opportunity for others.

Cheers,

Sid.

SergioDV

Post by SergioDV » 07 Sep 2010 22:55

I'm sorry to resurrect such old topic but what happened to that Academic Publishing Group?
----

Yes, I'm just 27 years old.

druid12

Post by druid12 » 17 Nov 2017 11:34

I like these books by Prof Munoz, interesting information about lesser known subjects and units, so keep up the good work and research Antonio.
Pat.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”