review: Stöber Flak book

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

review: Stöber Flak book

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 16 Apr 2002 20:41

Hans Stöber, “Die Flugabwehrverbände der Waffen-SS,” Verlag K.W. Schütz, 1984, HB, 608 pages, approx 6 x 8 format

Hans Stöber has written a number of important books on the Waffen-SS, this being the one I’ve used and enjoyed most as a researcher of unit development and relevant personalities. With only a few illustrations, the massive amount of text utilizes a both archive (public and private) and veteran input to detail thoroughly the anti-aircraft units of the Waffen-SS. Not only are divisional detachments covered but the areas of training and support units are equally examined, as well as combat elements outside divisional level. Details of formation, reorganization, commander/personnel lists and entries from KTB are included. Also the SS-FHA directives for numerous unit changes details the configuration of individual formations and a general time line history is provided. The amount of factual material is difficult to describe and appreciate, even the most obscure units being included. Though the text is in German, a superficial vocabulary allows much of the material to be understood and most of it is unavailable elsewhere. I feel its an essential text, examining one type of unit often overlooked by readers in favor of the more written about tank and infantry components.

Mark

Erich

Post by Erich » 16 Apr 2002 21:30

Mark :

May I ask if this book is still in print and can be obtained from where ?

also Hans Stöber's works on the 17th SS..... volume 2 and 3, are they still in print from whom ? since Munin shut their doors I've had a terrible time in locating other works.

thanks

E

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 17 Apr 2002 00:59

The last Nation Europa catalog had all 3 of Stöber's GvB text books, I guess the photo book planned fell through. I haven't had a Schutz Verlag catalog in hand in a couple years, maybe they have a website. I do see the Flak book on used military book lists.

I also think his VI Korps book is good but will probably never be translated.

Mark

Erich

Stöber books ......

Post by Erich » 17 Apr 2002 01:05

Mark:

thanks for the info on Nation Europa. I'll head on over to their site soon and check the titles.

E

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 25 Aug 2007 10:13

The Stöber book on Flak of WSS is absolutly excellent, it covers all units of this type raised by the WSS, it gives a short bio of each unit, added with, when avaiable, excerpts from personal diaries, KTBs, orders and so on. A must have for every Waffen-SS unit researcher 8-)

Jan-Hendrik

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 26 Aug 2007 07:57

Does book holds any info on Flak in Karstjäger unit?

Regards,
Klemen

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”