Review: Double Fighter Knight

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
sniper1shot

Review: Double Fighter Knight

Post by sniper1shot » 14 Jun 2009, 01:55

Title: Double Fighter Knight
Authour: Ilmari Juutilainen
Publisher: Apali Oy
ISBN: 978 952 5026 47 4
Stars: 4
(out of 5)

Well, it has been awhile since I have posted a review so here we go.....
This book is a Biography about a Finnish Aviator, Ilmari Juutilainen, who fought in both the Soviet-Finish war, and WWII or as they, the Fins, called it the Continuation War. His final total of confirmed air victories stands at 94.
The book is broken down into 4 main topics. The Winter War (Soviet Invasion of Finland), the Peace between the wars, WWII, and the final battles in the Gulf of Finland.
I found the book starts off strong with how the Fins were able to defeat the Soviet Military and what little resources they had at hand to do it. I also enjoyed reading on how the average Finnish soldier was thinking both along the military and political lines during the wars.
The chapters describe all the battles and sometimes the research in the book is able to tell who their foe was at the time. There is also the vivid descriptions of air attacks verse ground targets which will leave the reader able to picture what it was like for both the pilot and the target. There are a few pictures that most will of never seen which in themselves are quite interesting.
The only points that I found that I could fault the bio on was that on some of the air battles seems to be mundane. Some of the battles almost come across as being boring for the pilot. True, you can only describe a plane shooting another plane down in so many words but I did find some of the battles almost seemed to be a repeat in wording (they aren't). The last point that I did not like is the way the authour describes the end of the war. All of this battle and then nothing....."All sorties are cancelled"...."OK boss" (this is a quote on the last 2 sentences of the Bio)
The indexes of top Finnish pilots, their Highest award and a glossary of plane and language terminology will help the reader along with this book.
Recommended for both the Aviation and WWII buff. :[]

Epaminondas

Re: Review: Double Fighter Knight

Post by Epaminondas » 18 Jun 2009, 16:12

The publisher mentions explicitly that they cut out alot of personal information and events for the combat... with the permission of the author; and their target audience is military ready rooms.

I'm still glad I bought it; but they ripped out at 50% of what makes a war memoir interesting - his thoughts, experiences and feelings. Killing 100 odd Russian planes gets uninteresting fast. The general feel of the desperation of the winter war and summer 1944 battles is quite interesting... as well as the doctrine differences etc.

I'd be fascinated for a finnish speaking forum member to remark on the differences between the English text and the Finnish original.

Worth the money, but disappointing in the utter vandalism

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”