New book on 9.Panzer-Division - Normandy August 1944

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
c2d9uy7j

New book on 9.Panzer-Division - Normandy August 1944

Post by c2d9uy7j » 02 Aug 2009, 23:21

Hello,
A new book has been published on the fights which took place in South of Normandy in August 1944 (area called Sarthe departement , between Le Mans and Alençon). Book made of 452 pages-850 pictures and 65 maps.
It talks about the german units which were there and mainly about the 9.Panzer-Division (many new pictures, maps, gliedrung, drawings and testimonies from German and Austrian veterans found by the author).
This book talks also about the SS-Pz.Jg.Abt.17 (many pictures), 708.Infanterie-Division, Panzer-Lehr-Division, 352.Infanterie-Division, 91.Infanterie-Division (Kampfgruppe Kiewitt), Sturm-Btl. AOK7 Kampfgruppe Messerschmitt, 77.Infanterie-Division, Sicherungs-Regiment 1 (many pictures AMD178), Sicherungs-Regiment 194, 195, 196, Flak units, Marsch Battalion, ...
You can see an outline of the book on the website below, (there is one page in english):
http://liberation-sarthe.weebly.com/
Regards.

Sam Wren

Re: New book on 9.Panzer-Division - Normandy August 1944

Post by Sam Wren » 22 Aug 2009, 09:05

I received my copy of Sarthe, août 1944: Histoire d'une Libération by Fabrice Avoie about a week ago. While the U.S. sector of the Normandy Campaign is not of as much interest to me as the British sector, this book was a must for me as it contains a large number of unpublished photos, some of some relatively rare vehicles. Some documents, such as gliederungen and original maps are included as well maps created by the author based on original maps and/or documentary evidence. Most of the coverage concerns 9th Panzer but Panzer Lehr, 352 ID, 708 ID, 91 ID, 77 ID, Sturm-Btl AOK 7, Sicherungs-Rgt 1, 94, 95 & 96, Various Flak units, & 17 SS are also covered. Text in French. The only complaint I have is the small size in which the photos are reproduced.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”