New Biography of Hoess

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
J. Duncan

New Biography of Hoess

Post by J. Duncan » 25 Nov 2009, 04:42

Curious to know if anyone has read this new bio on Rudolf Hoess titled "Commandant: A Biography of Rudolf Hoess, The Creator of Auschwitz" by Ian Baxter. Baxter has written several books on SS history. His books have gotten mixed reviews from "sucks" to "very good". I have both versions of Hoess's memoirs - the older "Commandant at Auschwitz" and the newer "Death Dealer". I have another Hoess book, a dual biography titled "Kolbe and the Kommandant' , written by a priest named Kluz. There are other books with chapters on Hoess like G M Gilbert's "Psychology of Dictatorship" and many others too numerous to mention. I doubt seriously this book has anything more to add on Hoess except maybe some rare photos. Reviews claim there is more information on Eleanor Hodys, his supposed mistress, but no info. on her fate. The book claims to use unpublished sections of Hoess's memoirs, but Stephen Paskulay of the "Death Dealer" book made the same claim and published those sections that were absent in the original 1959 edition. A new Hoess book sounds intriguing. I'm posting this here so it will be better seen by knowledgable SS people who may be familiar with either this book or other books by Ian Baxter.

pim

Re: New Biography of Hoess

Post by pim » 25 Nov 2009, 12:30

I haven't heard of this book at all. I do know Baxter has a book titled " Auschwitz Death Camp" coming out in a couple of months. This guy has and is churning out a lot of books. In my opinion I would not spend one cent on any of them.

Boby

Post by Boby » 26 Nov 2009, 12:35

There is also a Ph.D on Hoess (only in german) published in 1997 with the title: "Und Sie hatten nie Gewissensbisse? Die Biografie von Rudolf Hoess, Kommandant von Auschwitz, und die Frage nach seiner Verantwortung vor Gott und den Menschen”, by Father Manfred Deselaers.

Boby,

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 26 Nov 2009, 14:55

Thanks to those who replied (Boby and Pim)...I have decided that Ian Baxter's book is not worth it's pricetag.
There is so much info. on Hoess out there that a new book will not really add any more to what's been written already.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”