Review: Air War Over The Nore

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Review: Air War Over The Nore

Post by Marcus » 25 May 2010, 22:18

A review of "Air War Over The Nore: Defending England's North Sea Coast In World War II" by Jon Sutherland & Diane Canwell has been added to the site.
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=12303

btw. The idea with these threads are to encourage discussions on the books reviewed so they can be an addition to the reviews on the site.

/Marcus

j foynes

Re: Review: Air War Over The Nore

Post by j foynes » 14 Dec 2011, 14:13

Recently I started legal action against the authors of this book for copying, in some cases word-for-word, whole chapters of my 1994 book "The Battle of the East Coast 1939-1945". They paid me the whole sum I was claiming plus legal costs.
This same "Air War Over The Nore" includes 26 Bundesarchiv photos which the authors did not buy, but illegally copied from those in Michael J F Bowyer's boom "Air Raid". They also took thousands of words from his text.
Confronted about these violations of the UK 1988 Copyright Act the authors blatantly lied.
They write one full non-fiction book every 3 weeks on about 25 unrelated subjects, mostly on commission from Pen & Sword books. All their books are badly written (except when copied), lack research, and have misleading promotions about the authors' supposed expertise. In the last 2 years alone they have (hastily) written about ships, aviation, cooking, witches, crime, business, politics, fishing, wargames, football and farming.
Mr Bowyer and I may take further legal action.
The latest Sutherland and Canwell book, about the battleship "Tirpitz" is supposedly a photo-illustrated account of a voyage she made to the Caribbean before the war. No such voyage occurred as Tirpitz was not ready for sea till 1941 and never left Europe. Therefore it is not surprising that none of the photos shows such a voyage (in spite of the advert), and that only a very few (in a 140-page book) concern the "Tirpitz" at all.
This can be verified from Amazon reviews on these authors (there are many, almost all very negative) and reading some of the online promotions, such as the "Tirpitz" one.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”