Best book on battle of Berlin

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Dutto1

Re: Best book on battle of Berlin

Post by Dutto1 » 01 Nov 2011, 18:05

Another book which is a little known gem is- The Russians and Berlin 1945 by Erich Kuby. It was published in 1968 in English and its still a good read today,and packed with First-hand accounts from the Miltary and civillian point of view.

Regards

Ron

caparkinson

Post by caparkinson » 16 Mar 2012, 23:08

I also have a deep interest in the battle of berlin and I just looked up Hamilton's book. It is selling on Amazon for around £500! Is that correct? Is it a collectors item now?

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 16 Mar 2012, 23:30

Hi

500 GBP is about the going rate at the moment.I have seen one or two on e bay recently and they went for 125GBP and 102GBP.The value will will only go up as there are no plans to reprint it.Luckily i got a copy in 2009 before it went out of print.

Regards

Ron

Nicolai

Post by Nicolai » 18 Mar 2012, 01:37

Hehe, you can have my copy of Bloody Streets for the original retail price if you drop by Stavanger to pick it up. :D

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 26 Apr 2012, 12:04

Bloody Streets is making very strong money now on Amazon,its still the best book on the Battle in English.Gald i got my copy early for less than 38GBP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloody-Streets- ... 839&sr=8-1

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 28 Apr 2012, 18:44

I have to agree with Mr. Hargreaves - Cornelius Ryan: "The Last Battle". I am convinced the older books are still the best ones. Better written / the use of eyewitness testimonies while memories were still fresh and undistorted by time and prejudice. I'm not really liking many of the books published today but like Mr. Hargreaves, I turn back to the older ones more than once for an exciting read. Theirs is more "history as lived" rather than a stale "lecture on what happened by those who weren't there".

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 28 Apr 2012, 19:05

J. Duncan wrote:I have to agree with Mr. Hargreaves - Cornelius Ryan: "The Last Battle". I am convinced the older books are still the best ones. Better written / the use of eyewitness testimonies while memories were still fresh and undistorted by time and prejudice. I'm not really liking many of the books published today but like Mr. Hargreaves, I turn back to the older ones more than once for an exciting read. Theirs is more "history as lived" rather than a stale "lecture on what happened by those who weren't there".

Bloody Streets contains lots of stuff not used by Cornelius Ryan in his book The Last Battle..Ryan only used a small fraction of the interviews and research he had collected.I would say Bloody Streets is far better than The Last Battle in respects of its scope and use of Aerial imagery.

Regards

Ron

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 30 Apr 2012, 00:36

"The Last Battle" is still one of my most favorite books. Ryan makes you feel like you are almost there.

Best,

James

Wally

Post by Wally » 30 Apr 2012, 16:14

A man that I met a few years ago told me that "The Last Battle" was the best book about the last days of the war. This gentleman was a Hitler Youth at the end of the war. He was telling me he was lucky enough to get captured by the Americans and ended up in New Orleans, LA. He went to Architectural School at Tulane University and moved to my city and was an Architect for over 40 years. He said he had read many books and this book was the best.

Wally

denys55

Reprint of Bloody Streets

Post by denys55 » 04 Aug 2013, 15:12

Does anyone know why there hasn't been a reprint of Bloody Streets? When it was around $100 I thought about treating myself to a copy but it has only gone up since then.

wartourist

Post by wartourist » 05 Aug 2013, 15:11

Has anyone here read:

Werner Haupt; Berlin 1945 -Hitler's letzte Schlact ?

I've just begun spelling my way through this book (German is not my first language), and I would like to hear if if anyone have an informed opinion on the book, Mr. Haupt's veracity as a historical author etc.?

Thanks in advance
Dan :milsmile:

Alex Tijerina

Post by Alex Tijerina » 28 May 2017, 01:39

Why can't these books not be written in English? Many of us don't read German. :|

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 28 Jun 2017, 02:03

Alex Tijerina wrote:Why can't these books not be written in English? Many of us don't read German. :|
Well, if the Germans had won, you would've been speaking German, and been able to read the books on the battle of Berlin... oh, wait... ;)

tomcasemate

Post by tomcasemate » 28 Jun 2017, 18:54

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomber-Command ... +of+berlin

This is about a British bomber crew in the Battle of Berlin.

Igorn

Post by Igorn » 13 Jul 2017, 13:55

I can highly recommend Volume 2 of "Stalin's Favorite - Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army" which according to Globe at War "provides a near graduate level analysis of the use of armor in urban warfare and how it was that the Red Army overcame the huge Berlin Metropolis in a matter of weeks. The detail is exceptional, and does much to not only explain what it meant for the Red Army to take Berlin in a block-by-block fight - but also why the 2nd GTA was truly an elite formation by war's end: "In order to counter the German tactics, assault groups were formed within the corp's formations and units...each consisting of four tanks, two ISU-122, one 76mm anti-tank gun, two 82mm mortars, two DShK anti-aircraft machine-guns, and two squads of motorized infantry...Two tanks led the group, firing as they moved down the sides of the street; the right-hand tank fired at the left side of the street, while the left-hand tank fired at the right side. The SU-122, following behind at a distance of 30-40 meters, fired over open sights along the street, suppressing revealed enemy firing positions. Two tanks trailed behind the SU-122 at a distance of 30-40 meters placing fire on the upper floors of buildings, again with the right-hand tank firing at the left side and the left-hand tank at the right side..." The description goes on, as does others detailing canal crossing operations, suppressive fire within city's using mortars, and how to use groups of T-34 to crash German defensive lines built across otherwise tough to take city blocks. Furthermore, there is extensive discussion in most chapters, but especially chapter five about the huge problems posed by German panzerfausts and the Soviet effort to combat these inexpensive but as it turns out exceedingly destructive weapons that caused roughly 40% of the 2nd GTA's knocked out tanks during the war's final months".

http://globeatwar.com/review/stalins-favorite-volume-2

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”