The Best Documentaries On Hitler And The Nazis

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
bob7708

Re: The Best Documentaries On Hitler And The Nazis

Post by bob7708 » 14 Aug 2013, 04:35

About a month ago I was researching Hitler on Youtube and ran across some youtube segments where lipreaders were used to to decipher what he was saying in the film footages taken of him. They used several lipreaders at a time to get as accurate a transcription of what he was saying to reduce the the chance of errors in interpretating his speech on these old black and white films.
I ran across a very interesting one where he was in a meeting with a bunch of his associates. All of a sudden he flew in a rage. This was at the time when he signed a peace treaty with Neville Chamberlain and then invaded Poland after the treaty was signed. In this meeting he had just been informed that Chaimberlain had sent a message to someone (Hitler?)
that Great Britain and France had just declared war on Germany over the invasion of Poland and Hitler apparently hadn't read it yet. He just heard about it and blew his stack over it becouse he didn't think Chaimberlain would do it.
The film footage was facinating to watch as he was charging all over the room asking everyone about it. At one point he stated that this declartaion of war was a very serious matter with dire consequences to it.
This is when I crashed my hard drive and lost a lot of great stuff including this footage of him in a very agitated mood. Bear in mind that the researchers used Lip Readers and not software that was programmed to decipher speech spoken in a different language or where there is no audible speech at all.
Does anyone know where I can re-locate this footage on YouTube?

Progmetty

Re: The Best Documentaries On Hitler And The Nazis

Post by Progmetty » 10 Jan 2017, 09:14

Found this documentary from the 70's and thought to share it with you guys.
I haven't seen many documentaries made in the 70's, actually the only one I remember seeing is The World at War, which remains the best WW2 documentary I've seen to date, but I'm really noticing that documentaries made back then seemed to be directed at a much more intelligent audience than now. Most post-2000 WW2 documentaries are spectacular visually due to restored or newly found footage but they seem to be all made to serve as entertainment. The narrative usually building up excitement for battles and climactic points of the war, just overall silly packaging and severely lacking in content, sans for the visuals.
That thought crossed my mind when I was watching The Memory of Justice, the documentary I posted above, and I heard this:
"Most of these things are not done by monsters, they're done by ordinary people. People very much like you and me. These things are results of pressures and circumstances to which human frailty succumbs. And a large part of it, isn't really due to any intrinsic sadism or desire to inflect pain. It's the degeneration of standards under pressures, boredom, fear, other influences of this kind"
You'd never hear anything this insightful or profound in newer documentaries, the language itself now is very dumbed down. I'm not a native English speaker, I'm Arabic and even I get impressed when I watch these older documentaries. To be honest though, I had to look up the word "intrinsic" :D

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”