BOOK - Tirpitz: The First Voyage (Images of War)

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
nicknobbyclark

BOOK - Tirpitz: The First Voyage (Images of War)

Post by nicknobbyclark » 04 Dec 2011, 02:24

Like to have to members views on this piece of fantasy!

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Tirpitz/p/3290/

Tirpitz: The First Voyage (Images of War)
Jonathan Sutherland & Diane Canwell
Pen & Sword books

Synopsis
The photos in this book are taken from an unpublished album belonged to a member of the crew of famous German Battleship Tirpitz. It is a little known fact that before the start of World War Two the ship went on a shakedown voyage into the Atlantic, travelling north into Arctic waters and south into the more tropical climbs of the Caribbean.

Nick

hucks216

Re: BOOK - Tirpitz: The First Voyage (Images of War)

Post by hucks216 » 04 Dec 2011, 14:28

nicknobbyclark wrote:It is a little known fact that before the start of World War Two the ship went on a shakedown voyage into the Atlantic, travelling north into Arctic waters and south into the more tropical climbs of the Caribbean.[/i]
I find that very hard to believe considering her hull wasn't even launched until 1st April 1939 when there was still alot of construction work to do.

Images taken from: http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_di ... launch.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/sixerstang/drag ... istory.htm
Attachments
02_tirpitz_launch.jpg
TIRPITZ launch.jpg
TIRPITZ launch.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

nicknobbyclark

Post by nicknobbyclark » 05 Dec 2011, 01:07

Excellent photographs showing the Tirpitz hull.

The authors of this new book are dubious to say the least. They're in the habit of churning out a great many books, most of which contain plagiarised material. Not satisfied with lifting work from someone's honest extensive research, this new book sees the authors trying a new sensationalist approach. However, I doubt it will wash with anyone familiar with the subject or even a passing interest in the war at sea.

I've already added a review to amazon and would welcome views of others to stop such third rate books being published about WW2 history.

Pips

Post by Pips » 05 Dec 2011, 10:32

When you think of how difficult it is for quality authors to get books published, you have to wonder why such rubbish makes it onto the market. The publisher needs their as* kicked.

nicknobbyclark

Post by nicknobbyclark » 05 Dec 2011, 11:09

Precisely!

The amount of research that an author puts into his or her work is evident in the references included in that publication. No such evidence is seen in books by Jonathan Sutherland & Diane Canwell.

Their last book 'Churchill's Pirates' was mostly copied word for word and the photographs used without and any prior permission. I understand legal proceedings were taken out against these authors. I personally would like to see them struck off Pen & Sword who's reputation has surely been tarnished in my opinion.

j foynes

Post by j foynes » 14 Dec 2011, 14:23

Mr Clark is 100% right.
These are fake authors selling fake books.
I have already sued them about infringing my copyright (in relation to their "Air War Over The Nore" and my "The Battle of the East Coast") and they paid me full damages without turning up at court.
M J F Bowyer protested about their copying much of his book "Air Raid", includinng rare German photos which they simply scanned and reprinted.
Their "Churchill's Pirates" lifted large sections of a book and three webistes and a photo collection, and caused further protests and legal warnings.
This latest "Tirpitz" book consists of photos--of several German sailors and ships--but very few on "Tirpitz" apparently acquired from a publically accessible website. The "Tirpitz" was finished in 1941, not prewar, and went no nearer the Caribbean than Norway!
If you check Sutherland and Canwell's fantastically rapid output of books (on dozens of unconnected topics). and the dreadful reviews they get on Amazon, you will have some confirmation of what Mr Clark and I have said.

J P Foynes

Maurice Laarman

Post by Maurice Laarman » 18 Dec 2011, 16:50

I wrote an email to Pen&Sword, let see if they reply!

Maurice

nicknobbyclark

Post by nicknobbyclark » 19 Dec 2011, 11:19

Maurice

I'm glad to hear you have done this and maybe others will follow.

Pen & Sword continue to promote this awful book on the main page of their Xmas themed web site! I've now completely lost all faith in anything they've released or plan to publish in the future.

Nick

Maurice Laarman

Post by Maurice Laarman » 12 Jan 2012, 23:06

Well, as you all could have quessed, my email to Pen & Sword remained unanswered! Unfortunally, could have been a nice discussion. The good thing is that the negative airplay this book got on the net will have saved some persons from buying this book. (like the other way around it is with good books!)

Kind regards,

Maurice

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”