Black Boat

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Atrevida

Black Boat

Post by Atrevida » 16 Feb 2012 15:29

I advise the forum of the forthcoming publication in 2013 of a book written by a U-boat man (seaman branch) who had served under a Knights Cross commander. He describes having been put aboard a "black boat" for Norway in the last days of the war. This boat was a Type VII, had no number and came from some secret reserve stock. The commander's name is kept secret. I shall provide more information as it becomes available.

Ohrdruf/Atrevida

Atrevida

Re: Black Boat

Post by Atrevida » 27 Mar 2012 15:00

In their latest Internet circular KTB-244, Sharkhunters have published details of the black boat. The author, a veteran of three long patrols, had been ashore since 1944 when he was ordered one day in early April 1945 to proceed to Bremen-Vegesack yard and look for a U-boat with a certain number painted on the conning tower. The boat does not seem to have been a Type VII, but was smaller. The author stated that it was "antique" and might have come from some kind of training flotilla undeclared reserve stock "but not used recently". All crew members used pseudonyms and appear to have been under threat of death should they ever speak out. For this reason the material was withheld until the author's death. A second, major item may appear under the same circumstances in due course.

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 30 Mar 2012 13:57

The Internet U-boat monthly circular Sharkhunters advises that another "black boat" crewman has made himself known. This man has a photograph of the boat mentioned in the two posts above which will be published in edition KTB-245 next month.

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 05 May 2012 17:45

In the current edition of Sharkhunters on-line magazine "KTB 245" a photograph of the "black boat" in question is provided. This boat has been identified as the former captured Russian submarine S-1 which disappeared from Libau in 1944. All details of this submarine match those appearing in the original German version of the book mentioned above as described by the leading seaman author. For the time being circumstances prevent me disclosing any information about the original German book but I shall advise in due course.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 06 May 2012 00:15

For the time being circumstances prevent me disclosing any information about the original German book but I shall advise in due course.
This requirement applies to each specific claim. In the past, some posters have attempted to evade the proof requirement by resort to the following tactics, none of which are acceptable here:

A general reference to a website, or a book without page references; citations or links to racist websites; generalized citations to book reviews; and citations to unsourced articles.
:roll:

If you don't mind - please leave this until the book actually appears? Right now you're breaking EVERY site rule about peekaboo sourcing...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 16 May 2012 15:51

The book mentioned in the first posting is by Klaus Willmann/Anton Staller entitled "Das Boot U 188 - Zeitzeugenbericht aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg" by Rosenheimer Verlagshaus GmbH & Co, KG, ISBN 978-3-478-53954-1.

Matrosenobergefreiter Anton Staller completed three voyages aboard U 188 and according to the official record terminated his seagoing career in August 1944. On 8 April 1945 he was working at a naval joinery when ordered to report to Bremen-Vegesack to join a U-boat. The section of the book dealing with what happened next are pages 226-242.

This boat as we have now identified it (Staller described it very accurately but did not identify the submarine) was the ex-Soviet submarine S-1 which disappeared from Pillau in 1944. The intention was to fit a schnorchel and sail the boat to Norway for operations.

Regarding a doubt about running numbers seen painted on the conning tower of U-boats reported off the coast of Argentina by local witnesses postwar, what Staller has to say is interesting:

p.229: "Mit meinen Papieren in der Hand stand ich jetzt verzweifelt am Kai und verglich die in meinen Marschpapieren eingetragene Bootsnummer mit derjenigen auf dem Turm des Bootes...."

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 16 May 2012 20:46

Hi

I'm locking his thread until the aforementioned book is published.

There are other active specific threads dealing with this matter (U235) already on the AHF.

When this book is published please contact a member of the Forum staff to unlock this thread, so you may add to it.

Regards

Andy H

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”