"And Yet You Have Conquered"

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
jeffhan373

"And Yet You Have Conquered"

Post by jeffhan373 » 11 Mar 2012, 16:47

I never got around to getting these books on the Blood Order (two volumes produced thus far?). I'd value members' opinions as to whether they are worth getting. I'll pose my usual question: do they add any new information on the subject? Or is this just familiar stuff re-packaged?

Much appreciated!

coburg22

Re: "And Yet You Have Conquered"

Post by coburg22 » 12 Mar 2012, 06:59

They are the ones from England and they really suck. Kind of a stupid title too concerning a book on the Blood Order like it was some heroric act that they walked down to Feldherrnhalle. Patzwall's book has stood the test of time and even though Chris Ailsby is working on one I doubt very much it will be worth anything especially since all of his books are rather basic. Jeff I think a book on the Blood Order written by a couple of WAF guys and your photos would make a much better book.

Best,

James

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 12 Mar 2012, 10:33

The title has to do with the mythology of the event...it's a famous Nazi slogan ("Und Ihr Habt doch gesiegt") pertaining to overcoming and acquiring victory despite all obstacles. There were many paintings titled on this slogan and I think one of the last uses of it occurred at the end of the film "Kolberg". I'm not certain of it's origin but I think it comes from a further past in German history (such as the time of Arndt, Goethe, Schiller, the Napoleonic era, "Addresses to the German Nation" etc..) which the Nazis adopted for their own usage.

I have not seen the books but I suspect they must not be very good...so many of these type of books can be very disappointing, failing to live up to expectations.
Last edited by J. Duncan on 13 Mar 2012, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 12 Mar 2012, 23:55

I'll pass. Thanks for the opinions, guys. Now that I think of it, I've never seen anyone refer to these books when discussing the Blood Order, in print or on a forum, whereas Patzwall is always brought up. I think a quality book on this award (and the other equally high Party awards) is long overdue...

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 13 Mar 2012, 07:18

Hello Jeff,

I agree and it could be called "Major Political Awards of the Third Reich and their Recipients". When you consider all the material and photos that has come to light since the books by Angolia and Patzwall, it would be a refreshing change not to mention a kick ass book. I think the late William Stump would have been perfect to write such a book.

Best,

James

Olympiaryan

Post by Olympiaryan » 01 Oct 2019, 20:06

I have a copy of Patzwall's "Der Blutorden der NSDAP" 1985. Anyone got any idea what it's worth?

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”