Rolf-Dieter Müller's 'The Unknown Eastern Front'

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
andyhib101

Rolf-Dieter Müller's 'The Unknown Eastern Front'

Post by andyhib101 » 19 Nov 2012, 00:15

Can anyone recommend Rolf-Dieter Müller's English version of 'The Unknown Eastern Front'? I can't find a review other than on Amazon. Thanks.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Re: Rolf-Dieter Müller's 'The Unknown Eastern Front'

Post by Jeff Leach » 15 Jan 2013, 21:13

I didn't know much about the subject - German foreign soldiers on the Eastern Front - and found the book a useful introduction. With each nation Mr Müller tries to explains, why they fought for the Germans, how they were treated and what units (or types of units) they served in and what was their fate.

As an introduction to the subject I would recommend the book. Part III of the book - The Eastern European Nations might contain enough information to recommend the purchase to those that have familiarity of the Eastern Front. Müller makes a claim that it was the eastern volunteers that allowed the Germans to hold out as long as they did against the Russians. Now if he would only write a whole book on that subject.

Michate

Post by Michate » 16 Jan 2013, 10:32

I guess it is the translation of "An der Seite der Wehrmacht".

The German book is perhaps useful as an introduction to the topic, but not if you already have at least basic knowledge about the topic of foreign soldiers in German service, or as German allies. IMHO it is a bit superficial.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 16 Jan 2013, 22:16

Michate wrote:I guess it is the translation of "An der Seite der Wehrmacht".

The German book is perhaps useful as an introduction to the topic, but not if you already have at least basic knowledge about the topic of foreign soldiers in German service, or as German allies. IMHO it is a bit superficial.
I'm very much with Michate on this one - it's good as an introduction, but quite a lot of the specific subjects are better covered in individual volumes, such as Thomas Schlemmer's excellent book on the Italians on the Ostfront: http://www.ifz-muenchen.de/band_91.html

Another overview, but only in German, is Gosztony's Hitlers Fremde Heere which you can pick up for under 5 Euros.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”