New Graf Strachwitz biography

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
krichter33

New Graf Strachwitz biography

Post by krichter33 » 06 Jun 2013, 02:44

There is a new Graf Strachwitz biography being published later this year by Casemate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161200 ... UTF8&psc=1

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Re: New Graf Strachwitz biography

Post by Glenn2438 » 06 Jun 2013, 09:52

Who thinks up the preposterous titles of these books?? ......."The Devil's General"!! :roll: :roll:

Regards
Glenn

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 07 Jun 2013, 02:15

I agree the title is ludicrous! But, I've been looking forward to a Strachwitz biography for quite a while. Hopefully it is good!

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 07 Jun 2013, 02:19

I want to gouge out an eye now that I've read the title. Of course, because Hitler was "the Devil"- makes perfect sense. But wait, I thought HIMMLER was "the Devil", on account of a book bearing the title "The Devil's Adjutant". How could Hitler AND Himmler both simultaneously be "the Devil"? Another great mystery of the Third Reich, perhaps answered by one of the 1,889 History Channel programs devoted to the Nazis and the Occult and the Witchcraft roots of the Final Solution as predicted by Nostradamus.

~ Mike

Boby

Post by Boby » 07 Jun 2013, 11:13

Why not "Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz (1893-1968) A biography" or something else. Note the big words "DEVIL'S GENERAL".

Sure the editors obliged the authors to accept such titles if they want the book to be published.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 07 Jun 2013, 15:29

Obviously the title , is merely a ploy, to gain buyers among the ignorant and to appeal to the POV of the publishers. I would like to know what the author thinks of it. If he honestly believes in such a title, I will not buy the book. I wil read the foreword first to see if there is an explanation.

Strachwitz is one the least known of the greatest of generals that have strode though history. It is nice to see somebody has tried to put forth the effort to make his life known better.. I just hope the book does justice to a very great and honorable soldier. The title does lead me to wonder. :?

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 07 Jun 2013, 17:03

Someone really ought to make a list of all the Hitler and Third Reich books which use the word "devil" in the title.
Anthony Read immediately comes to my mind with his "The Devil's Disciples: Hitler's Inner Circle" (a poor effort, to say the least).
Devil's General, Devil's Mistress, To Kill the Devil...some others.
None can compare to the absurdity of below :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitler-In-Rehab-e ... vil+hitler

RayB

Post by RayB » 07 Oct 2013, 07:46

The Devils General is the title the Russians gave Hyazinth graf von Strachwitz, it has nothing to do with Hitler, but shows the fear and respect the Russians had for a very formidible adversary.

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 07 Oct 2013, 20:42

:welcome: Ray,

I take it you may may the author, :D . Could you elaborate more on the Russian sources for this and how wide-spread this nickname was ? It seems there has not been not much mention of this in any books/article's/commentary published in the "West" so far.

Regards,
Chris

RayB

Post by RayB » 08 Oct 2013, 01:38

Yes I am the author. It is not a nickname. The devils general reference came from an intercepted russian radio message by the Germans in 1944 while the Panzergraf was serving on the Northern front. The message was -That Devils General Strachwitz is in the area. Avoid if possible and call for reinforcements. Regards. Ray

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 08 Oct 2013, 02:32

Hello Ray, I already pre-ordered your book, and I'm quite excited by it due to the lack of a quality biography on this general. I was just curious what type of sources did you use for the biography? Thanks.

RayB

Post by RayB » 08 Oct 2013, 02:58

Hullo Krichter33. Thanks for ordering the book. I agree re the lack of a bio. which is why I wrote the book. As to quality you will have to be the judge of that. Re. Sources-I have been researching the book for years ,albeit in a desultory fashion for most of them, on the basis I will write his bio one day, with the last few in a concentrated fashion. The sources are all out there but in a very fragmented, very scattered (and often contradictory) form. Fratschka his first biographer if disowned by the Graf, at least had the benefit of the Grafs contemporaries being alive, although his effort is brief and shallow. Rolls book is really a coffee table book. Hence why no one has taken it on,finished it, or only wriiten a potted account.It required an enourmous amount of time effort an patience. I also interviewed a GD officer who served with him, whom I met regarding another matter several years ago and fortunately took notes.There is a comprehensive bibliography in the book.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 08 Oct 2013, 13:34

Ray B:

I too have already ordered the book. I have both the Fraschka and Roll books and agree that they are not very good although the Roll book had many photos never seen before. Can we expect some unpublished photos as well with yours? Thanks.

Mark Costa

RayB

Post by RayB » 09 Oct 2013, 02:15

Hullo Mark. Thanks for ordering the book. I hope you like it. I agree about the photos in Rolls book, which are the books best feature a pity they were in matt and not gloss, but expense is always a factor. My book is a text book which deals in some detail all of his engagements and major battles, as well as some early history( family history, Cadet schools, Garde du Corps, WW1 and the Nazi era especially why a devout Catholic and wealthy aristocrat would join the nazi Party and SS ). It has (132,000 words- I wrote 180,000 but they had to edit it down as Casemates max. is 130,000 words ) with some 26 photos, not all of the Graf, some of which I got on e-bay and from militaria dealers, so some will not have been in books before. My publisher got some from the Bundesarchiv but I know they do not hold many of the Panzergraf. Regards. Ray

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”