Hitler's U-Boat War?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
subskipper

Hitler's U-Boat War?

Post by subskipper » 02 May 2002, 01:16

For some reason I've always managed to put of buying Clay Blair's two volumes in the Hitler's U-Boat War series whenever I go book shopping. This time I thought should order them and wanted to hear some opinions before I buy. Some of the criticism brought against him is that he is too biased towards the Americans and that he tries to downplay the importance of the Atlantic battles. Is there any truth to these "accusations"?

~Henric Edwards

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 02 May 2002, 02:53

.......I think they are the best written books on the subject.

Richard Murphy

Clay Blair

Post by Richard Murphy » 02 May 2002, 07:38

I too found them fascinating and, if U-Boats are your "thang", worth getting for the extensive appendices alone!
Personally, I don't like Blair's (Clay's, not Tony's!) style much, he tends to repeat the same words over and over again, which becomes somewhat annoying after a while, but I didn't detect any obvious bias and the amount of detail into all aspects of the conflict is amazing.
Of course no one book should be considered as comprehensive, but these works are about as close as it is possible to get.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Rich

subskipper

Post by subskipper » 02 May 2002, 12:11

Thanks for help guys! It looks like a definite buy. :)

~Henric Edwards

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”