Forgotton Soldier Castle Location

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
gnot

Forgotton Soldier Castle Location

Post by gnot » 19 Dec 2015, 09:45

hey guys, first post so please excuse any faux pas.

So I recently started reading Forgotten Solider and I was wondering if anyone knows the actual name of the castle he talked about training in. He describe it as
Beyond the entry and parallel to it rise the battlements. Another block composed of four towers like the towers of the porch completes the group of buildings. The entire mass both pleases and impresses me, and I feel in this Wagnerian decor a sense of almost invincible power. The horizon touches the vast dark-green forest on all sides.
All I know is that its somewhere in Poland and that he drives his commander to a town called Cremenstovsk. Thanks Guys

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Forgotton Soldier Castle Location

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 19 Dec 2015, 19:19

Hello gnot,
I suppose you are reading "The forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer?
Sorry but I did'nt found something in the french issue. (Le soldat oublié)
All what I know (I think so) is that the castle is situated near Brest-Litovsk (+/- 15 Km, sorry +/-9 ,5 miles) Brest-Litovsk = now Brest in Belarus)
Very sorry, but I have no further information.
Best regards from Belgium and sorry for my poor english knowledge
Prosper :wink:

gnot

Post by gnot » 21 Dec 2015, 08:17

Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:Hello gnot,
I suppose you are reading "The forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer?
Sorry but I did'nt found something in the french issue. (Le soldat oublié)
All what I know (I think so) is that the castle is situated near Brest-Litovsk (+/- 15 Km, sorry +/-9 ,5 miles) Brest-Litovsk = now Brest in Belarus)
Very sorry, but I have no further information.
Best regards from Belgium and sorry for my poor english knowledge
Prosper :wink:
Thank you, any information is greatly appreciated.

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 12 Jan 2016, 22:29

There’s no castle corresponding to the description within 10 miles/15 km of Bialystok, but there’s a castle of unknown size in Knyszyn, 28 km from the city. ”Kremenstovsk” isn’t a Polish name; there’s a village named Krzeczkowo within reasonable range from Knyszyn.

X224

Post by X224 » 30 Jul 2021, 19:00

The location of the castle in the Forgotten soldier.

After scouring google maps and measuring the distance around Bialystok which Guy Sayer himself says in the book was a 16kms or so march from Bialystok. I found a castle that is called Zamek Tykocine. It has the sandy pool not far away 700 metres of so fed by a small steam from the river Narew that the soldiers had to cross. That seems to be the only castle in the environs that match the description given ie fairy tail the only thing it doesn't seem to have is a moat with a stone bridge unless that has since been drained and filled in.

ludo21

Post by ludo21 » 14 Nov 2023, 13:13

I'm not sure that it is the castle you have identified... according to the castle's website it would have been a ruin at the time, only restored in the late 20th century:

Throughout history, there have been four battles for Tykocin. Interestingly, two of them ended with the destruction of the Castle. Ultimately, it was demolished in 1734 and gradually fell into ruin and oblivion, almost ending up in the "trash bin of history". Fortunately, thanks to long and painstaking scientific research and reconstruction works started at the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries, we can now once again admire the western and southern parts of the Tykocin Castle

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”