German WW2 Reviews

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
hannibal2

Re: German WW2 Reviews

Post by hannibal2 » 08 Mar 2021, 00:11

Wigand Wuster was a truly remarkable man. I had the privilege of getting to know him directly through a personal correspondence I had with him some years before he died in 2017. We talked very little about his experiences as a soldier at Stalingrad and his years as a slave laborer in the GULAG. Rather, we discussed the unique place of Stalingrad in the strategic picture of German operations on the southern front in Russia in 1942, especially about the wisdom of the simultaneous advance on Stalingrad and into the Caucasus, as well as about Hitler's insistent order to hold on to Stalingrad at all costs. In discussing these issues we had some disagreements, to be sure, but it was all in good spirit and always respecting the other's point of view.

What had brought us into contact in the first place was the fact that my great-uncle, Oberst Albert Newiger, was the CO of JR 194, one of the three infantry regiments of 71. Infanterie-Division, the very same division in which Oberleutnant Wuster was chief of a battery of howitzers in its artillery regiment, AR 171. Oberst Newiger, whose regiment had been instrumental in the capture of the vital bridge over the Don at Kalach, fell ill in early September 1942 and had to be evacuated to a hospital behind the front. He thus missed the terrible battle within Stalingrad and the equally horrendous consequences of the surrender of the Sixth Army. That was a tremendous stroke of luck for him since otherwise he would most likely have shared the fate of Olt. Wuster or worse. After recovery, in June 1943 he was promoted to Generalmajor and appointed commander of 112. Infanterie-Division.

harmel

Post by harmel » 14 Mar 2021, 01:19

I bought a few books during lockdown and one of them was An Artilleryman in Stalingrad
It was excellent and agree with Hannibal as you just looking at his picture can see that he was an efficient and confident person.
Jason has produced remarkable books on the German Military which I recommend as a neuteral collector of German Military.
At the same time I also bought From the Realm of the Dying Sun vol1-3 by Doug Nash excellent book,The Rzhev Slaughterhouse by S Gerisonova
and Sacrifice on the Steppes by Hope Hamilton-The Reckoning by Pritt Buttar of which I have a few and GL Georg Reinicke published by Fleshsig
Just received today The Devils Accomplice Odilo Globocnik by Max Williams I have some more of his books and I also recommend the excellent books
by Michael D Miller with Andreas Schulz and Ken McCanliss.
I will finish off by saying that reading is a great mechanism to calm people down even the beautiful subject of Poetry
Have a nice stress free 2021
Regards
Harmel

harmel

Post by harmel » 14 Mar 2021, 01:23

Forgot too add reason for liking Military subjects.
Spent 22 years in the British Military
Last Rank Warrant Officer Class 2
Harmel

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 15 Mar 2021, 16:07

I contacted Jason Mark a while ago and bought most of his books from him directly, all shipped in one box from Australia at a sharp discount from retail. Otherwise his books are going for exorbitant prices on amazon, etc. I have "artilleryman on Stalingrad" on my to do list, coming soon.

Larso

Post by Larso » 12 Apr 2021, 08:06

Mortar Gunner on the Eastern Front by Dr Hans Rehfeldt

Hans joined the infantry regiment Grossdeutschland in late 1941, arriving and fighting around Tula, south of Moscow. As the title spells out he is a mortar gunner and continues in this role, in various capacities through this first volume of his memoirs. It is actually a diary but a very detailed one. Some days the description runs to several pages and frankly, a lot happens. It is edited to a degree to reflect his later understandings of events. There are also some good notes contributed, by I take it, the English editor and a forward by the Forum’s own Marc Rikmenspoel.

There is certainly a lot of combat! The Russians are desperate to thwart the German drive on Moscow and commit overwhelming forces to destroy the German attackers. The weather quickly becomes an equally deadly factor. Grossdeutschland falls back in mid minus 40 degree temperatures and it’s not even winter! No preparation had been made for such conditions and the German troopers suffer terribly.

Hans starts in the 8th company II battalion. When the regiment is upgraded to a division in April 1042, he becomes part of 9/2nd battalion 1st Regt. He is wounded but returns in time for the 1943 offensives, including Kursk. As I said, he is always with the mortars, usually running up additional ammunition but the nature of the front and their close support of the infantry, essentially has him in the front line. He uses his rifle and indeed, grenades at times so close quarters is the fighting in the swirling break-throughs and encirclements.

One treat for us is his frequent and clear references to German and Soviet weapons, particularly tanks and support vehicles. Many individual actions of targeting specific targets are covered. There is a lot of artillery use by both sides and colossal casualties. Hans is one of a handful that are still left standing.

It is all as authentic as you can get too. There are many references to villages and places where the fighting took place. Many comrades and commanders are named and specific deeds recounted, including those for which decorations were earned. Hans also has many photos of himself engaging in the various aspects of soldierly life. Hans somehow recorded things in detail and managed to preserve them. It is frankly, quite an exciting read and given his unit’s significance, he is often involved in historically notable events. Highly recommended!

Larso

Post by Larso » 03 May 2021, 07:02

Wiking: A Dutch SS-er on the Eastern Front by Henk Kistemaker

Though Henk was Dutch, his father was an enthusiastic admirer of the Nazis. He encourages Henk to join the SS and he ends up in the Germania Regt of the 5th SS Division. He is in a machine-gun section to start but manages to get a transfer to the division’s Panther battalion in 1943.

Henk’s account of infantry battle is quite exciting. He is wounded several times and sees a lot of comrades die – which decreases his excitement considerably. The winters are bitter but he writes they are supplied quite well. There is even more excitement when he becomes a radio-operator in a Panther. There are some brutal slugging matches from which the Panthers invariably emerge triumphant. It is pretty visceral stuff at times, with one of Henk’s duties to machine-gun any Russian tank crew trying to escape their knocked out vehicles. He does write quite a bit about the interior and operations of a Panther. This was particularly interesting to me.

Oddly, Henk seems to call any artillery or Pak shell a grenade? There are also mix ups regarding sub-unit designations, including seemingly calling everything a division. Perhaps these are translation issues? Despite seeming to have been involved, he writes nothing of the Cherkovsky pocket? Though it is mentioned by the editor that Henk refused to discuss aspects of the war that were too emotional.

Despite its Wiking name, the unit was predominately German, though Henk mentions a smattering of other nationalities. It’s not a long book but it is reasonably detailed. It includes pictures of Henk and various shots of their tanks. Henk writes of being in battle and what he did. There are only a few accounts by panzer men and I think this is a very relevant read if that is your interest. 4 stars.

Larso

Post by Larso » 08 Aug 2021, 04:40

Death March through Russia

This account is about Lothar Herrmann, written in the first person by Klaus Willmann, based on meetings. Lothar was born in Breslau in 1920. He became a painter and decorator. He is called into the RAD in May 1940 and pretty quickly learns it is military training dressed up with a positive name. He subsequently joins the Mountain troops. He has a clerical role at the start of Barbarossa in support of Romanian troops. Health problems see him sent back to Germany for a time. When he returns to the front in late 1943, he is posted to 3rd Battalion, 4th Regt, 4th Mountain Div and mostly works as an artillery observer.

His time at the front is only covered briefly. There is some shelling he writes about but it is clearly not the focus of his book. There is some interest in the collapse of the front upon the Romanian’s switch of sides. Things get disorganised very quickly and despite a determined effort to rejoin with German forces, Lothar is captured by the Romanians. It was interesting to read of this. The Romanians were quite harsh from the start and I guess this pointed to the tenuous nature of their alliance with Germany. This early treatment was nothing though compared to what would happen when the Germans were handed over to the Russians.

Pretty much in common with all German accounts of being POWs, Lothar sees and faces death everywhere. Anyone unable to keep up is shot. Anyone in poor health is simply allowed to die. The survivors quickly do whatever they have to to live. There are some grim stories, especially in the bitterly cold conditions of winter. Whether by design or not, it seems very few prisoners remained with comrades, so essentially, every man is out for himself. It is only later, after the war is over that friendships have a chance. While the war continues however, there is no spare resources for POWs and numerous men die. It would be no consolation that it was often far worse for Russian prisoners of the Germans.

In time, the Germans get treated better, especially as they become more useful to their captors. Lothar’s special skills give him some very handy opportunities. Indeed, the Russians seem to have the attitude that ‘Germans can do anything’. I guess their educations helped, while the dead hand of Communism played its part in curbing Russian abilities. Anyway, Lothar prospers to a degree and is fortunate to be released relatively early (1949? I seem to have forgotten??).

He is then fortunate to return to a home that has not suffered too badly and is able to start his life again. His optimism throughout is remarkable and has a lot to do with his survival. This is an interesting account overall. Lothar’s youth and entry into the workforce are worth reading. There is very little on combat but the pages on captivity are quite compelling. 3 stars

Larso

Post by Larso » 11 Jan 2022, 12:31

Until the Eyes Shut - Hans Kahr, with/by Andreas Hartinger

Hans was an Austrian farm boy from the Styrian region. This book is written in the first person from his point of view, in conjunction with Andreas his grandson. Life on the farm was primitive and hard. He grew up robustly and fit, which toughened him sufficiently to serve as a mountain trooper and survive Russia. Han’s father had served in Italy and Hungary himself in WW1 and unusually, enjoyed telling his war stories to his children. After the coming of the Nazis, Hans found himself doing military training at the local Hitler Youth camp, in June 1941, though he didn’t actually join them. He was called up in August 1941, just after he turned sixteen and did the RAD program through early 1943. Military service was valued in his community and considered a rite of passage into manhood. After the completion of his training, Hans is assigned as a machine-gunner to 4th (Heavy) Co, 1st Bn, 138th Gebirgsjäger Regt, 3rd Mountain Division. He arrives at the Dnieper front in Dec 43 aged eighteen.

The Germans are in a precarious situation and face many battles with swarming Russians. The following retreat from the Dnieper is reminiscent of Guy Sajer’s descriptions in Forgotten Soldier. It is close to a rout, with many dead and the wounded sometimes abandoned. The Germans are in a state of collapse. The winter contributes to the difficulties, with mist and snow adding to the confusion and enabling sudden, deadly encounters. Then there is a similar situation between the Bug and the Dniester. Things are a little better as they retreat through Romania but that becomes very problematic. Hans finally gets to fight in mountains at least.

There is some useful historical information and general context, particularly regarding the defection of the Romanians. Encounters with Partisans also occur. Han’s war is virtually of unending retreat, with bitter fighting occurring on a regular basis. He faces tanks at times and more interestingly, cavalry. Much of his fighting is as a gunner or a loader, though he writes of more intimate killing at times. He also writes quite a bit about the horror of war injuries and the unrelenting stresses that break some men, leaving them unable to go on. His descriptions of Russian captivity are brief but typically difficult. As an Austrian he is allowed home in 1947.

I see on Amazon that some reviewers have question its authenticity. More pictures (there’s only one) would have helped. Perhaps the story of the Sergeant was a bit too convenient? And there is a chapter where the author’s horse changes gender every page. I had no qualms myself, there were fascinating titbits about army organisation (a couple brand new to me), including March battalions, which vouched for it being a first-hand account at heart. I liked it, the author is pretty much in the Front line the whole time, so it’s largely an action account. 3 ½ stars

harmel

Post by harmel » 15 Jan 2022, 00:20

Agree with Larso ref-Mortar Gunner on the Eastern Front an excellent read!
Also I recommend Radio Operator on the Eastern Front by Erhard Steiniger.
Just read the The Defense of Moscow 1941 (The Northern Flank) by J Radey-Charles Sharp,
Foreword by the excellent David Glantz.
Harmel

Larso

Post by Larso » 06 Dec 2022, 12:51

Radio Operator on the Eastern Front by Erhard Steiniger

Erhard Steiniger was a Sudeten German. For all that the ‘crisis’ there was a key step on the way to war, I actually knew almost nothing about it. The author writes that the ethnic Germans really were treated very badly by Czech authorities. He lists some very unpleasant examples of how his own family fared and how Germans were harshly excluded from many jobs. So, yes, they were very keen on being liberated by Hitler.

Then though, he is called up to the German army, being assigned to 61st Division, specifically 151st Regt (and joining it in France I think?) As the title spells out he is a radio operator and he often operates with the other regiments. He takes part in the invasion of Russia, where he serves on the Northern Front: in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Baltic Islands, Volkhov River, Leningrad Front and briefly in the Courland Pocket before ending the war near Prague.

He is often attached to various HQs but also with the line formations. He rarely writes though of firing his rifle (or later his pistol) but he is associated with quite a bit of combat. Shelling of course but he is also encircled and involved in breakouts. He has to walk past wounded, knowing they would die and not being able to help. He sometimes notes some of the macabre images of death. Once he is chased by tanks but this is only briefly covered. At another point he writes about atrocities committed on German prisoners. He also relates his impressions of battalion officers and notes for instance, the poor feel of the 3rd Battalion.

He writes more about army life generally. The freezing winter, building bunkers and struggling with the cold and lice. More grimly, he witnessed the burning of the houses of Russian civilians, leaving the crying women and children to essentially die. There are risks from his own side too. He writes of fleeing from the formation of an ad-hoc force, after being ‘collected’ by the Field Police. Interestingly, while relating the actions of controversial General Schorner, he is quite positive about his impact overall. He sees women who have been brutalised by the Soviets and writes warning letters to his family and girlfriend. His final service is as a medical orderly and his experience of the last days was perhaps the most interesting of the book. There are brutal Czech reprisals and Russian atrocities. He writes only briefly about his 4 ½ years as a POW but there is some happiness found at the end.

Unusually, Steiniger gives some concluding statistics about the 61st in the war. He says it suffered 4,500 fallen and 3,000 missing, though surely many of these were also fallen and 21,000 wounded. I have generally found it hard to find details like these. While clearly substantial, I was almost surprised. I thought they’d be worse, given the reputation of the Eastern Front as a meat-grinder.

So an informative account generally. It looks to be completely authentic, with many personal photos from the earlier years of the campaign and many specific mentions of other soldiers and officers. As a combat memoir it doesn’t offer a lot though. So 2 ¾ stars.

Larso

Post by Larso » 02 Feb 2023, 08:04

D-Day Tank Hunter by Hans Hoeller

Hoeller had an extensive war, seeing service in Africa twice with various units. Then the entire Normandy campaign with 8 Heavy Co, 2/192 PzGr Regt, 21st Panzer Div, where he commanded three French Somua halftracks armed with 75mm AT guns.

Born and raised in Lower Austria, he experienced difficult cirtcumstances stemming from the conditions imposed after the WW1 defeat and the economy generally. There was great inequity. Neighbours even committed suicide as a result. There was considerable envy of Germany and Hitler’s successes and there was relief and enthusiasm at the Anschluss. Hans was completely caught up in it all. He joined the HJ and enjoyed it. When he was drafted in Jul 40, he was destined for the artillery but he asked for a more active role and was assigned to the anti-tank arm. He planned to become a Reserve Officer.

Hoeller writes in great detail on his training and the weapons he was to operate. Despite his specialty, there was always a focus on infantry skills. In 1941 he was sent as a replacement to 33rd Anti-tank Bn of 15th Pz Div. He writes of travelling on a converted Italian cruise ship with Italian destroyers and a Ju88 overhead. Curiously this is the first time I’ve ever read an account of this journey? He serves as a driver and messenger at the Halfaya Pass. There is much to read on desert living and being shelled. After contracting typhoid he is returned to Europe. It is all very detailed.

His officer training then takes place, where he notes the freedom permitted him on how to achieve missions. Now commanding a platoon, he is sent back to Africa initially meant for 104th Regt but is then tasked to reinforce 10th Pz Div. Following a dramatic Ju52 flight and diversion, he instead finds himself allocated to 5th Fallschirmjäger Regt (I love this stuff!). Here he leads a dramatic attack in Tunisia, supported by a Tiger! This was part of the Battle of Tebourba, where he is wounded and evacuated to Sicily.

His recovery and health relapses take time but he is in Normandy commanding an anti-tank platoon on D-day. Again, there is great detail on the confusion, his moves and the actions of the British he is opposing. The shelling, including naval bombardment is extensive, with often horrific consequences for the recipients. He relates some harrowing examples of what can happen to a human body. At times he is temporarily reassigned to command infantry units. The ferocious combat wears everyone down and he is lucky to escape the Falaise Pocket. He is particularly praiseworthy of the commitment of the men of 10th SS Pz in achieving this. Throughout he writes of his decision making detailing his approach to the myriad situations he finds himself in. He has many close calls! He is finally run to ground on the flight to Germany, when he is particularly lucky to survive capture. His experiences as a POW are fascinating.

Everything seems absolutely authentic. Hoeller names names, units and usually has a photo of himself involved in something (including an extraordinary one he got a POW to take) as well as other documents. His combat experiences are extensive, with recon, weapon positioning, making combat decisions and being shelled, including naval bombardment. He writes in great detail on everything, like the youthfulness of the 12th SS grenadiers. There are some gruesome stories about battle damage and it is quite exciting at times. This is the second time I have read it and it easily held my attention. Where he served and who he served with is absolutely fascinating! Highly recommended! 4½ stars

Larso

Post by Larso » 11 Mar 2023, 03:43

'Will I see tomorrow' by Max Kuhnert

This is a rare account by a German cavalryman. Kuhnert was from Dresden and began a trade as a saddler and upholsterer at age thirteen. He was called up in 1937 and assigned to the 13th Cavalry regt. It though was broken up into troops of 35 men, each assigned to an infantry regiment to provide a recon and dispatch capacity. In this role Kuhnert participates in the invasion of Belgium, France and Russia.

There is a lot about operating with horses. Kuhnert is generally responsible for a superior’s horse, as well as his own. There is a lot of time spent on grooming and various specialist training. He also seems to find lots of female company and despite his being an invader and occupier, this never seems a problem. When they go on the attack there is a lot of riding. In Belgium, his unit is ambushed by a tank. The horrors of modern weaponry are accentuated when half the victims are horses. He is also subject to air attack. He is shelled too and does some dangerous work in clearing dwellings.

After a stint occupying Denmark and Poland he participates in the invasion of Russia. He now writes explicitly of being in the 432nd Regt (part of the 131st Infantry Div, though he never says this himself). Intriguingly, while he explicitly states his divisional insignia was the same as in France, the 131st didn’t fight there? Samuel Mitcham (Hitler’s Legions) notes the 269th Div contributed men to the 131st and it was based in Denmark after France, as Kuhnert was. Perhaps he was part of that division first? He does mention some regimental changes between the campaigns. It is one thing which is ultimately unclear.

The bulk of the book concerns operations in Russia. His army is directed at Smolensk and the Ukraine, with particular battles at Bobriusk amongst others. There is a lot of detail operating horses in the heat and then the bitter winter that follows. I found the tactics of advancing to contact fascinating. The casualties mount though, both men and horses. The winter is particularly bitter and causes tremendous problems. The Russian resistance is fierce and there are extreme brutalities. At times Kuhnert writes very graphically about the war carnage. Curiously in early 1942, he writes of German heavy tanks with their 88mm guns defeating T34s. However, this couldn’t have been the case. Perhaps they were well handled PZ IVs? By the time he is wounded in May 42, he is almost the last of his group still alive.

Kuhnert’s account finishes with his arrival in German hospitals in June. Given he later fought in Normandy and was captured (dramatically) by Americans in September, there was a lot more that he could have said? It is such an interesting book that this absence is quite frustrating. I can only speculate that he was posted to an infantry division in France and with his experience with horses, probably to its recon element or maybe its artillery. He lived in Britain after the war and wrote his book in English, based on his war-time diary. He was otherwise very quiet about his war and his sudden death after a short illness meant further details could not be determined. Perhaps the rest was for a second volume? The way he finished though suggested to me he was satisfied with what he wrote. There was a sense of finality to it. His first friends and beloved horses were all dead. Any idealism was gone and he now hated the cost of war and the people who brought it about. Maybe finishing on that note was a very deliberate decision?

This is a rewarding memoir to read. The aspects of horse husbandry and the powerful connection men had with their mounts make it unique here. Kuhnert writes in detail and it is no sanitised account. War kills people and animals horribly. Fascinating overall but ultimately, partly incomplete. 3 ¾ Stars.

Larso

Post by Larso » 12 Jun 2023, 10:22

'Marching from Defeat' by Claus Neuber

Lieutenant Neuber is an artillery observer in the 18th PZ GR Div, part of the 4th army of Army Group Centre. The division had recently had most of its transport withdrawn, so it was essentially an under-strength infantry division. It wasn’t the only one, many of the army’s 34 divisions were under-strength but worse, due to the usual Hitler mistakes, many of the army’s tanks had been transferred South. When the massive Soviet attack came, there were few reserves and the orders to hold towns as fortresses saw many divisions completely cut off and destroyed.

Neuber and his unit initially withdraw in an organised fashion. However the dominant Soviet air-force and a large Partisan force quickly complicate matters. Strong Soviet forces also block the withdrawal and in short order the Germans disintegrate into groups of stragglers. This is conveyed very graphically. The roads are quite the horror show of destroyed vehicles and burnt corpses. At times attempts are made to break through but it is exceptionally difficult, as there can be no proper artillery preparation and armoured support is minimal or completely absent. The efforts are essentially infantry charges comprised of men from many units. The worst thing is to be wounded. There is no prospect of then being evacuated and an absolute certainty of murder at the hands of the Partisans. Some wounded commit suicide before this fate befalls them. The human losses overall are catastrophic.

Neuber and other determined and desperate survivors strike West in search of the German line. Fortunately they have no idea of the extent of the catastrophe and how far they have to go. There are many weeks of trudging through enemy held land. Generally this is done at night with an effort made to hide in a forest during the day. They survive purely through the generosity of farmers and villagers gifting them food.

Neuber writes with his later awareness of the genocidal crimes committed by the Germans. Given the extent of these atrocities it is remarkable how often they are helped. It is extremely fraught though and his initial group is captured. They face abuse and violence and they are stripped of anything useful. It is astonishing that Neuber is able to launch his escape with so few resources. He feels he has no choice as he suspects the horrors, that indeed do unfold, in Soviet captivity. Readers here will know that even worse outcomes occurred for Russian prisoners of the Germans in 1941. It is all so awful but you do have empathy for Neuber and his quest for safety.

Following the almost daily detail of the journey, the ending is surprisingly abrupt? There is no sense that the front has been reached, though there are plenty of dangers still. There is a story recounted of a fellow escapee reaching the German lines a few days previously and being killed in the German mine field on the brink of safety. How heartbreaking!

I didn’t realise that Germans who had been Russian POWs couldn’t continue to serve in the East. Hence Neuber is transferred to a unit in the West where he is captured by the Americans. I’d have liked more on this and indeed, of his war prior to July 1944. I also would have liked more clarity on his comrades afterwards. I thought he implied some returned after the war but it would have been better to see this properly revisited. I could quibble too with the title Marching from Defeat. Organised units very quickly broke down and it was mere stragglers who regained German lines. He more trudged or hobbled than marched – perhaps it is a translation issue? There is some combat but it is mainly the arduous journey to regain the German lines. It did keep my interest but there was scope for more of Neuber’s war. 3¼ stars.

Larso

Post by Larso » 10 Jan 2024, 07:42

Berlin Dance of Death by Helmet Altner

This review will be a bit shorter than intended as I’ve misplaced my notes and it won’t be as specific as I normally like.

Helmet is called up at age 17, with only a couple of months of the war to go. His mother accompanies him to his place of enlistment at a barracks in Berlin. I can barely conceive her making that journey. How filled with dread she must have been? Indeed, one of the tragic points made is that of the company that Helmet is assigned to, only two are left at the end.

The training is brief. Indeed, they seem to watch more deserters shot than do any actual shooting themselves. They are short on weapons but have a sprinkling of older men amongst the teenagers that comprise the company. It is the company too that Helmet refers to. They are apparently attached to higher formations (Tony Le Tissier supplies the likely details) but it is of little concern to Helmet and given the very temporary connection, not of much historical significance to military historians. In anycase, this concerns the companies brief time on the Oder Front in April 1945. Here they are hit by artillery and bombing. When they march back to Berlin, quite a number are missing, with no word on their fates. Helmet’s best friend amongst them. This scenario is continually repeated.

After a very round about march, to avoid the encircling Russians, the companies remnants return to their barracks. Shortly after the Russian assault commences. There is street fighting and deadly moves through the subway system. Helmet writes of occupying high-rise apartments and sniping at Russians. At other times they occupy trench lines across streets and Russian tanks advance to spitting distance, to sit and fire at point-blank range. There is only limited armoured support, which is generally referred to as ‘SS flame throwing tanks’. He writes too of the Hitler Youth and the flotsam of other German troops. The company is continually ground down. He had an excellent Lieutenant for much of this time but he too slips from the narrative with no fate recorded. It’s frustrating but also, entirely accurate in the way of such fighting. Remarkably, supplies continue to be generally available, though much less so to the civilians. Their experience is awful and some sad stories are related. Though this is not as horrific as I expected.

The breakout is very interesting. They are subject to a lot of firepower and many people don’t make it. It and the days that follow are remarkably detailed. I believe Helmet kept a diary for some stages of his story. He also wrote much of it down shortly after the war. There is nothing to learn though about his experiences as a POW or his post war life (it seems he became a journalist). There are some useful appendixes and some good maps and photos of the areas Helmet fought in. These help ground Helmet’s story. It’s not as visceral as I expected but it is very much a book about the destructiveness and brutality of war. It is awful to think that Germany’s youth was expended in such a wasteful way.
3 ¾ stars.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”