"Gauleiter, Volume 2" - Nearing release from R. J. Bender

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Michael Miller
Forum Staff

"Gauleiter, Volume 2" - Nearing release from R. J. Bender

Post by Michael Miller » 12 Oct 2016, 02:59

Just received from Roger Bender: The fully-formatted final draft, with all pictures in place and practically ready for the printers, of Gauleiter: The Regional Leaders of the Nazi Party and Their Deputies, Volume II (Georg Joel to Dr. Bernhard Rust). 45 biographies covering all Gauleiter with names beginning in "J" through "R" (excluding the pre-Anschluss Austrian illegals, who will appear in Volume IV), as well as a lengthy, very detailed, and illustrated addendum to Volume I. 454 pages, down quite a bit from Volume I's 560, but I used a slightly smaller font in this second volume. Trust me, it's packed with more information and imagery than anyone could ever want or need on these individuals. My favorite part: The amazing foreword by the redoubtable and tireless historian Richard Hargreaves, an invaluable contributor- particularly of translated wartime speeches by the Gauleiter- to the series.

Thanks to all for your patience. As has been pointed out to me a time or three, it's been 4 years since the release of Volume I (but that's 4 years less than the span between I and II of my "SS & Police" series, for whatever that's worth). Thanks also to the many AHF members who have assisted and continue to assist with this project. Without your photos, information, and images of items in your collections, these volumes would be of far less substance and value.

I just need to do one final sweep to correct my own typos (and actual errors of substance), then I'll ship this bastard back to Roger and it'll probably be up for sale around Christmas time.

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Mark Costa

Re: "Gauleiter, Volume 2" - Nearing release from R. J. Bender

Post by Mark Costa » 12 Oct 2016, 17:18

Mike:

Sweet words indeed !!!!

Mark

harmel

Post by harmel » 17 Oct 2016, 16:48

Looking forward too it Michael!!!
Harmel :thumbsup:

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 18 Oct 2016, 00:26

Good news. I've got vol. 1 and vol 2 should be even better with all of the leaders names beginning with letter H.
I think we will have to save up for it because Bender raised prices. I predict this book will be 79.99 or in that price range.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 18 Oct 2016, 23:08

I haven't discussed it with him yet, but hopeful that the 100+ fewer pages will make a difference (Volume I, at 560 pages, being $69.95) in the price.
This one is actually Volume II of "Gauleiter". So far, I've only managed completion of two volumes with "Leaders of the SS & German Police", although there will be two volume 2's coming out in 2017 from Helion ("Leaders of the Storm Troops" and "Knight's Cross Holders of the SS & German Police").

~ Mike

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 15 Dec 2016, 16:49

Just received an email from Bender. Mike's second volume of Gauleiter is now available to order on Bender's webpage. Unfortunately it will not be ready to ship until late January or early February. But it will be worth the wait !!!

Mark

encyclo-collaboration

Post by encyclo-collaboration » 16 Dec 2016, 23:52

Nice news Mike !
Congrats !

Since the passing of Mark Yerger, you're now his only one "spiritual successor".

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 17 Dec 2016, 04:13

Thank you very much, Mark and encyclo-collaboration.

Regarding the last compliment, though-- I think you just made him roll in his grave.

~ MIke

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 22 Dec 2016, 03:38

With Gauleiter 2 on the verge of release, I am dedicating much of my energy this year to the completion of the third installment, which will cover all Gauleiter from S - Z (Fritz Sauckel through Hans Zimmermann), as well as all the known pre-Anschluss Austrians (illegal/unofficial office holders). My coauthor, Andreas Schulz, is doing remarkable and groundbreaking work in digging up documentation on the latter, and frequently provides the names and data on hitherto unknown (to me) leaders of the Party in the Austrian Gaue.

The fourth and final volume will cover all stellvertretender (deputy) Gauleiter, from Wilhelm von Allwörden through Dr. Hans Severus Ziegler.

Thanks to everyone for the interest, encouragement, and contributions you've shared with me over the past twenty years. I could not produce these works without it.

http://www.bender-publishing.com/Gaulei ... ume_2.html

Sincerely,
~ Mike

Included in Volume 2 are biographies and photos of the following:

J
Georg Karl Joel
Karl Rudolf Jordan
Jakob Jung
Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Rudolf Jung
Walter Jung
Dr. med. Hugo Jury

K
Wilhelm Karpenstein
Karl Otto Kurt Kaufmann
Josef Klant
Dipl.-Ing.Walter Klaunig
Hubert Klausner
Richard Erich Koch
Walter Friedrich Julius Köhler
Dr. phil. Albert Krebs
Hans Krebs
Richard Paul Wilhelm Kube
Franz Karl Kutschera

L
Hartmann Lauterbacher
Karl Adam Peter Lenz
Josef Leopold
Dr. phil. Robert Ley
Ernst Ludwig Leyser
Friedrich Wilhelm Karl Linder
Wilhelm Friedrich Loeper
Hinrich Lohse
Viktor Heinrich Lutze

M
Walter Maass
Franz Maierhofer
Georg Felix Rudolf Metzner
Dr. rer. pol. Gustav Alfred Julius Meyer
Joachim ("Jochen") Waldemar Meyer-Quade
Dr. jur. Hermann Muhs
Eugen Munder
Wilhelm Murr
Martin Mutschmann

N
Dr. rer. pol. Hans Heinrich Nieland

P
Franz Felix Freiherr Pfeffer von Salomon
Alfred Josef Proksch

R
Dr. jur. Friedrich “Friedl” Rainer
Fritz Reinhardt
Friedrich Ringshausen
Axel Ripke
Carl Georg Röver
Ludwig Ruckdeschel
Dr. phil. Karl Josef Bernhard Rust
Attachments
hoff-9643.jpg

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 22 Dec 2016, 05:08

Mike:

Love the cover of volume 2. Nice compliment to the RED first cover.

Mark

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 22 Dec 2016, 05:16

Thanks, Mark. Not sure where Roger can go from here. Red and brown pretty much cover the whole shebang, color-wise...

~ Mike

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 22 Dec 2016, 11:36

Exciting news...got 2 volumes of Mike's SS Police books thus far and now will have both Gauleiter books. Can't wait to see the sections on Koch, Kube, and Dr. Rust. I agree with Mark that the cover color schemes are quite complimentary. Here is a link to Bender which states that a preview is forthcoming (this was not up until a few days ago):

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 28 Dec 2016, 20:11

Preview of Volume 2 now available at http://www.bender-publishing.com/Gaulei ... IEW-1.html

I've decided that Volume III will include all official Gauleiter from "S" through "Z", as well as all the known unofficial/illegal pre-Anschluss Austrians from "B" (Bilgeri) through "W" (Werkowitsch). Volume IV will cover all known and official deputy Gauleiter, with a final section on pre-Anschluss Austrian deputies (many of whom went on to become unofficial or official Gauleiter, or deputy Gauleiter, and whose full biographies will be covered in the preceding volumes-- I'll just give them a place holder page with their deputy GL assignment and dates of tenure, plus one photo).

~ Mike

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Mar 2017, 17:35

Gauleiter: The Regional Leaders of the Nazi Party and Their Deputies, Volume 2 (Georg Joel to Dr. Bernhard Rust) is now available from Bender Publishing.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller
San Francisco, California

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5 ... l_D_Miller

https://www.facebook.com/Michael-D-Mill ... 5978878051

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 27 Mar 2017, 19:14

Will there be any statistical analysis of their education, background, civil professions, fates, etc.?

It has always been my impression that although they were in charge of assembling the Volkssturm, and sending its over-age old men and under aged youths to their potential deaths, precious few of the Gauleiters shared this fate.

I would be most interested to see exactly how many of the Gauleleiters (and their deputies) gave ther lives for the Reich in combat. Any? One? More?

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”