Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Larso

Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander

Post by Larso » 19 Nov 2016, 10:34

This is the full title of this book - Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander, 1944–1945 by Otto Henning

Has anybody read this? It seems the author was in the desert but this book only covers Normandy and thereafter? I'm keen to hear anything about it.
thanks
John

Sauerkraut

Re: Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander

Post by Sauerkraut » 03 Nov 2017, 02:51

I really enjoyed the book, as an insight of german armored reconnaissance on the western front. The author was a corporal but at some point is given the regular command of a patrol. He tells not only about his missions with a good level of detail, but also more generally about his life at war and permissions, about the relationships with the families he and his crew were billeted in the houses of, about the funny or tricky situations he got in with his superiors... He also recalls the time he spent in concentration camp after defeat.
Overall it was not only an interesting but even a pleasant read to me.

Henning was indeed in Africa. He wrote in another book about his time in the Afrika Korps (entitled "Als Panzerschütze beim Deutschen Afrika Korps 1941-1943 - Ein 17-jähriger Kriegsfreiwilliger in der Aufklärungs-Kompanie (mot.) 580 ", editor is FLECHSIG Verlag), but as far as I know it was not translated from german into english. By the way, does by chance somebody knows about a possible translation of this book?

Larso

Re: Panzer Leader: Memoirs of an Armoured Car Commander

Post by Larso » 03 Nov 2017, 03:39

Thanks very much! I'll add this to my list.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”