Soldaten - Kämpfer - Kameraden by Wolfgang Vopersal

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Howling Wolf

Soldaten - Kämpfer - Kameraden by Wolfgang Vopersal

Post by Howling Wolf » 17 Dec 2016, 20:12

Is there any members of AH with knowledge of why this series was never translated to English by JJF or any other publisher that specializes in English translations of German division histories. It seems odd to me that Lebstandarte, Das Reich, Viking, and other SS divisional histories have been translated over the past 25 years but not this work which seems like a very important and knowledgeable IIISS Totenkopf series. From what little I have seen on forums by members who can read German text it is the series to have for an historically correct and accurate SST divisional history. Is there some sort of copy wright hold up? I emailed John at JJF and received no reply. Anyway all responses will be much appreciated.

H.W.

pintere
Financial supporter

Re: Soldaten - Kämpfer - Kameraden by Wolfgang Vopersal

Post by pintere » 20 Dec 2016, 10:19

I know that JJF already has published an English history of the 3rd SS, specifically "Like a Cliff in the Ocean" by Totenkopf veteran Karl Ullrich. As to why this hasn't been translated yet, I'm not sure.

Pz III

Post by Pz III » 27 Dec 2016, 01:51

The author has never sold the rights for an english translation for the simple reason that he has a problem with the Western Allies and the english speaking part of the world. Thats all I can say on the topic - but you can draw your own obvious conclusions. I was a book dealer and publisher for 20 years.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 30 Dec 2016, 02:07

Actually John Fedorowicz did meet with representatives from the T-Div vet association in Germany many years ago after the death of Wolfgang Vopersal. Fedorowicz planned to make some changes to the books. The vets didn't like it and the discussions ended. This was reported to me by someone who was involved in the discussion. I never heard anything about Vopersal having a negative attitude towards the Americans, British or Canadians. My experience with former T-Div officers was only positive. Many good books and documents will never be translated into English. I recommend that serious researchers learn to read German. It's not hard.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 31 Dec 2016, 01:13

Hi all -

During the early 1990s, I had begun research on an SS division and I came into contact with Wolfgang Vopersal. He was a retired customs ("Zoll")employee. I wrote to him and received a courteous response from him. I then spoke with him on the telephone and we planned to exchange historical materials. Unfortunately, he died a few weeks after we spoke.

Pz III: I did encounter the type of "anti-Western allies, anti-English speaking part of the world" sentiment you described from one veteran.

Best regards,

George

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 04 Jan 2017, 13:58

It's simple.
I saw a copy of the e-book.
Can porobovat transferred via an electronic translator (Google-translator)

Howling Wolf

Post by Howling Wolf » 16 Jun 2022, 17:56

smetanin albert wrote:
04 Jan 2017, 13:58
It's simple.
I saw a copy of the e-book.
Can porobovat transferred via an electronic translator (Google-translator)
Is there a link to the book?

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 16 Jun 2022, 18:57

I bought several books on the Reibert website.
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”