Norwegian Waffen SS

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
AHK

Norwegian Waffen SS

Post by AHK » 16 Mar 2017, 13:44

Does anyone have/reading this new book?
Thanks,
AHK

j keenan
Financial supporter

Re: Norwegian Waffen SS

Post by j keenan » 17 Mar 2017, 12:36

Yes it's an excellent piece of quality research by Geir and Tommy,a most have for anyone serious about the Waffen-SS

DougW60

Post by DougW60 » 18 Mar 2017, 04:10

The book is a photo history of the men who served in the Waffen-SS. The book is divided by the units Norwegians found themselves in and the photo captions provide names of the individuals in the photo (when known) and a brief description of the photo's content. It is not a detail written history of the units they served in.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 18 Mar 2017, 23:28

My copy of this excellent book by Geir Brenden and Tommy Natedal arrived a few days ago and I just finished reading it. This book is BIG, 523 pages in large format. I was expecting a book of photos only with minimal captions. The content of this book is very well organized. There is an extensive amount of text in both English and German throughout that help place the photos in context. The English text is perfect in contrast to some of the work that I have seen by other translators who do not understand military terminology. The many photos of individuals were of high resolution and correct exposure. The captions for these photos was very good with the individual being identified along with some personal information about the soldier. Unfortunately, some of the group photos were a bit darker than they should have been and the publisher should have put more effort into improving those photos. I learned some new information from reading this book and I am glad that I bought it. Congratulations to Geir and Tommy for producing such an excellent piece of work that sets the standard for other authors wanting to produce similar books about other national formations of the Waffen-SS such as the Danes, Dutch, Estonians and Latvians. Highly recommended!

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 19 Mar 2017, 10:25

My question would be if there is any detailed info one the units the Norwegians served in this book?

Jan-Hendrik

schwarzermai

Post by schwarzermai » 21 Mar 2017, 09:58

Hello Jan-Hendrik

the combat history Infos about the units are 1 page each
its main a photobook

uwe
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=223633

My Bookproject: "Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Heeresartillerie im II. Weltkrieg"

http://balsi.de/Heeresartillerie/

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”