Market Garden air support

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
MarkF617

Market Garden air support

Post by MarkF617 » 19 Sep 2017, 13:05

Hello,

Could someone please recommend a good book on Market Garden that covers the close air support given by fighter bombers during the operation? I have read many books on this topic but this aspect always seems to be overlooked other than to say that Typhoons were called in at the start of XXX Corps advance, after that nothing.

Thanks

Mark.
You know you're British when you drive your German car to an Irish pub for a pint of Belgian beer before having an Indian meal. When you get home you sit on your Sweedish sofa and watch American programs on your Japanese TV.

Sheldrake

Re: Market Garden air support

Post by Sheldrake » 19 Sep 2017, 14:03

There is much to write about.

Try these articles in Airpower studies -
starts at PP 27 http://www.airpowerstudies.co.uk/sitebu ... ol8no2.pdf
and 93 in this issue. http://www.airpowerstudies.co.uk/sitebu ... ol7no3.pdf

This is pro RAF - its an in house journal. One telling phrase is that to avoid air to air friendly fire, 2 TAF was excluded from the airborne corridor while drops and resupply missions were in progress. Add in bad weather and a long flight from Northern France and you can see why CAS does not feature highly in the accounts.

MarkF617

Re: Market Garden air support

Post by MarkF617 » 26 Sep 2017, 17:45

Thanks. I have printed them out and added them to my large list of things to read.

Mark.
You know you're British when you drive your German car to an Irish pub for a pint of Belgian beer before having an Indian meal. When you get home you sit on your Sweedish sofa and watch American programs on your Japanese TV.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”