Forthcoming memoirs by Goebbel's secretary/

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
J. Duncan

Forthcoming memoirs by Goebbel's secretary/

Post by J. Duncan » 11 Oct 2017, 00:33

J. Duncan

Re: Forthcoming memoirs by Goebbel's secretary/

Post by J. Duncan » 31 Jan 2018, 10:59

I read this book. A short read (only circa 200 pages). Not much depth and mostly an account by a marginal figure on the fringes who didn't really know anyone of significance (not even Goebbels, her boss, who she observed from a comfortable distance). Could have been written by any worker in a large office such as Bank of America. It was interesting in so far as how an ordinary person can be caught up in extraordinary times without realizing the consequences of apathy and
disinterest in what is happening. She was simply a careerist who went along like everyone else with the regime. It is a candid memoir - "I did this, I didn't do anything else, I'm not ashamed and I don't apologize for it, and I challenge anyone who says today that they would have fought back that they wouldn't have. If I'm guilty of anything it was that I was stupid"
The book is more a reflection on the fears and attitudes of the editor and translator Thor D. Hansen than it is about Ms. Pomsel, who uses her story as a warning to what can happen when we turn inward and allow politics to stampede past us. He sees a dangerous trend today with Trump and a push toward the right which he sees happening in America and Europe. Everyone needs to do his / her part to prevent another Nazi Germany from happening again and that means defending all forms of democratic government by staying involved politically ,getting the vote out, fighting "fascism" and right-wing tendencies at every turn - never be apathetic to what's happening...be a good little democrat, believe what the news networks tell you as opposed to internet gossip, embrace globalization and mass migration, and you will be happy with our democratically elected leaders in our pink padded universe. Not what I expected. More of a polemic of Thor Hansen than a book of memoirs detailing Goebbels. She didn't know the man at all.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Re: Forthcoming memoirs by Goebbel's secretary/

Post by Michael Miller » 31 Jan 2018, 17:26

Thanks very much for the review. Excellent analysis as usual.
I'll be giving this one a pass.

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”