"General Simon: Lebensgeschichten eines SS-Führers" by Franz Merkl

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
K.Kocjancic

"General Simon: Lebensgeschichten eines SS-Führers" by Franz Merkl

Post by K.Kocjancic » 10 Nov 2017, 14:21

Does anyone has this book and can tell me, how detailed is the book on the formation of the 16th SS-Division?

Regards,
Klemen

HM

Re: "General Simon: Lebensgeschichten eines SS-Führers" by Franz Merkl

Post by HM » 11 Nov 2017, 11:24

Hi there,

As of page 253 there is basic info on the creation of this Division and some of its senior officers(Ekkehard Albert – Friedrich Gottschalk – Kurt Mayr – Walter Reeder). Not that detailed however!

HM.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 12 Nov 2017, 11:04

HM wrote:Hi there,

As of page 253 there is basic info on the creation of this Division and some of its senior officers (Ekkehard Albert – Friedrich Gottschalk – Kurt Mayr – Walter Reeder). Not that detailed however!

HM.
Thanks! So, if I have the "Im gleichen Schritt und Tritt: Dokumentation Der 16. SS-Panzergrenadierdivision "Reichsführer-SS" book, there is no new info in Merkl's book?

Basically I'm looking if Merkl included some (personal) info on Simon, while he and the Div. was in Slovenia (during formation). Thanks again!

KK

HM

Post by HM » 12 Nov 2017, 16:24

I think there is no new info for you in that book. On several Pages „Truppenkameradschaft, im gleichen Schritt und Tritt” is being used as reference! (on page 253 it is mentioned that in the BA MA, Rs 3-16 only little info (“Schriftgut” has survived)

HM.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 12 Nov 2017, 17:55

HM wrote:I think there is no new info for you in that book. On several Pages „Truppenkameradschaft, im gleichen Schritt und Tritt” is being used as reference!(on page 253 it is mentioned that in the BA MA, Rs 3-16 only little info(“Schriftgut” has survived)

HM.
Thanks a lot. I'll then save my money.

Regards.
Klemen

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 15 Nov 2017, 19:29

K.Kocjancic wrote: .... I'll then save my money.
Klemen,
I totally disagree! The book is a true enrichment and indispensable as a source for the history of the 16. SS Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Reichsführer-SS".
In our 40-page biography of Max Simon in Volume 5 of the "Die Generale der the Waffen-SS und der Polizei", we have always referred to this excellent dissertation and created a wealth of footnotes herewith. Excellent source presentation!
I have never regretted the money issue :milwink:

Dieter Zinke

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 15 Nov 2017, 19:44

Dieter Zinke wrote:
K.Kocjancic wrote: .... I'll then save my money.
Klemen,
I totally disagree! The book is a true enrichment and indispensable as a source for the history of the 16. SS Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Reichsführer-SS".
In our 40-page biography of Max Simon in Volume 5 of the "Die Generale der the Waffen-SS und der Polizei", we have always referred to this excellent dissertation and created a wealth of footnotes herewith. Excellent source presentation!
I have never regretted the money issue :milwink:

Dieter Zinke
Ok, thanks! I have ordered the book and will decide myself, hehe!

Klemen

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”