German Navy Officer Biographies

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
joerg

German Navy Officer Biographies

Post by joerg » 25 Nov 2017, 14:44

I'm very interesting in reading postwar Biographies/Autobiographies of German WWII-Naval Officers. In my collection I have only books from/of: Karl-Friedrich Merten, Teddy Suhren, Erich Topp, Georg-Wilhelm Schulz and Ali Cremer (all submarine), Rolf Johannesson (Destroyer), Hermann Boehm (Admiral) and Friedrich Ruge (Admiral), Dönitz and Raeder. In additional some from Flechsig-Verlag, "Ritterkreuzträger"-Series (Prien, Schepke, Hartmann, Schuhart...).
Does anyone know more interesting books about naval officers?

Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Re: German Navy Officer Biographies

Post by Kriegsmarine Großadmiral » 24 Aug 2018, 20:30

Hi joerg,
I am also quite interested in the biographies of Kriegsmarine Admirals.
I can think of couple more books that might be interesting to you (I didn't read them yet though):

"Hitler's Admirals" by G. H. Bennett
"Admiral Otto von Schrader (1888-1945).: Marineoffizier in der Zeit der Weltkriege" by Michael Böcker
"The Great Admirals of World War II, Volume II: The Germans" by Charles E. Pfannes and Victoria A. Salamone
"Canaris: Hitler's Master Spy" by Heinz Hohne
"Nazi Spymaster: The Life and Death of Admiral Wilhelm Canaris" by Michael Mueller (there are 2 editions, one from 2007 and the other from 2017)

You mentioned a book about Friedrich Ruge. Which book is that?
And is the book about Johannesson "Offizier in kritischer Zeit"?

Do you know any other books about Kriegsmarine Admirals? Preferably in english.

I would like to read the books about Boehm and von Schrader, but unfortunately my German is very poor and I don't think they plan to translate those books into english any time soon.

Regards
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

joerg

Post by joerg » 30 Aug 2018, 11:33

Very interesting, thank you very much! I will see if I can get these books in Germany.
The Schrader book is new for me, I've ordered it.
Johannesson: you're right.
Ruge's Autobiography is titled "In vier Marinen", one of the most interesting books I've ever had. But for you, unfortunately in german.
Canaris is another story...

Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Post by Kriegsmarine Großadmiral » 30 Aug 2018, 11:57

joerg wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 11:33
Very interesting, thank you very much! I will see if I can get these books in Germany.
The Schrader book is new for me, I've ordered it.
Johannesson: you're right.
Ruge's Autobiography is titled "In vier Marinen", one of the most interesting books I've ever had. But for you, unfortunately in german.
Canaris is another story...
No problem.
Where from did you order the book about Schrader? Could you give me a link. I plan on getting it in the future and on Amazon it says they're out of stock.
Kriegsmarine Großadmiral

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”