Building a collection of Stalingrad books!!

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forward00

Building a collection of Stalingrad books!!

Post by Forward00 » 20 Aug 2018, 19:45

Are there any books that have lots of soldier reports on daily combat in Stalingrad? or any good books on the rescue Winter Storm?
I have ordered Death of the Leaping Horseman and Winter Storm Stackpole so far..

Ken S.

Re: Building a collection of Stalingrad books!!

Post by Ken S. » 21 Aug 2018, 19:49

"Survivors of Stalingrad" ?

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 22 Aug 2018, 09:36

An Artilleryman in Stalingrad : Memoirs of a Participant in the Battle how many times he attempts to get back into the encirclement give you food for thought.
Into Oblivion: The Story of Pionier-Bataillon 305 is an excellent read as are all of Leaping Horseman books, they are the best researched books out there

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 23 Aug 2018, 19:11

The Jason Mark books are the best about the German forces. Besides the books mentioned, there is the very detailed "Island of Fire" which is available at a lower price with the Stackpole publisher.

However, the core material about Stalingrad to me is Glantz's Stalingrad Trilogy, which is very slow reading. This incooperates both Soviet and German sources and is strong on both. IMHO it is Glantz's Magnum opus. All the other material on Stalingrad enhances the operational history with their details.

However, if you are prepared to make the time investment, it's well worth it but not many people will make it far enough. In order to fully understand it and other Glantz, you have to study the Red Army significantly (I read about 2 dozen books on it before I tried to tackle the Stalingrad Trilogy).

The sequel to Stalingrad Trilogy is "Don's Main Attack", which I have not read.

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Dons-M ... 0700625267

In addition, there are unit histories that cover Case Blue's war experience quite well. 3.Pz, 23.Pz, G.D. have good coverage of the summer offensive operations.

Forward00

Post by Forward00 » 09 Aug 2019, 17:07

Cult Icon wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:11
The Jason Mark books are the best about the German forces. Besides the books mentioned, there is the very detailed "Island of Fire" which is available at a lower price with the Stackpole publisher.

However, the core material about Stalingrad to me is Glantz's Stalingrad Trilogy, which is very slow reading. This incooperates both Soviet and German sources and is strong on both. IMHO it is Glantz's Magnum opus. All the other material on Stalingrad enhances the operational history with their details.

However, if you are prepared to make the time investment, it's well worth it but not many people will make it far enough. In order to fully understand it and other Glantz, you have to study the Red Army significantly (I read about 2 dozen books on it before I tried to tackle the Stalingrad Trilogy).

In addition, there are unit histories that cover Case Blue's war experience quite well. 3.Pz, 23.Pz, G.D. have good coverage of the summer offensive operations.
I have just finished Island of fire, enjoyed reading it, much much better than Death of the leaping horseman which I didn't like much

Forward00

Post by Forward00 » 09 Aug 2019, 17:13

Cult Icon wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:11

can you recommend any books on Operation Winter Storm and the attempted rescue? I've read Winter Storm by Stackpole but want something with more memoirs and more detail..

Sean.

Post by Sean. » 10 Aug 2019, 15:43

Forward00 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 17:13
can you recommend any books on Operation Winter Storm and the attempted rescue? I've read Winter Storm by Stackpole but want something with more memoirs and more detail..
In English, you really only have Anton Joly's Stalingrad Battle Atlas, Volume IV: Operation Winter Storm and David M. Glantz's Endgame at Stalingrad, Book Two:
https://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-Battl ... way&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/Endgame-Stalingr ... oks&sr=1-1

In the near future, another book authored by myself, devoted purely to the planning and conduct of Operation Wintergewitter (along with coverage of Sixth Army's breakout plans), will get out. This work, the product of several years' effort, will hopefully satisfy anyone's desire for detail.

All the best,
Sean

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin » 12 Aug 2019, 07:09

https://www.amazon.de/Stalingrad-bis-zu ... 3548229727

Maybe Schröter's "bis zur letzten Patrone". It was written not long after the war.

Forward00

Post by Forward00 » 19 Aug 2019, 09:14

Stiltzkin wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 07:09
https://www.amazon.de/Stalingrad-bis-zu ... 3548229727

Maybe Schröter's "bis zur letzten Patrone". It was written not long after the war.
thanks! although I can't read German

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 19 Aug 2019, 22:05

A question:

Do Anton Joly's atlases cover the generally successful defensive actions of the Romanian 3rd Army on the Don in October-early November 1942?

Cheers,

Sid.

FalkeEins

Post by FalkeEins » 30 Sep 2019, 23:23

... the OP asked for ‘daily soldier reports of combat’. You simply need ‘An infantryman in Stalingrad’....

Dann Falk

Post by Dann Falk » 01 Oct 2019, 00:05

Greetings Forward00,

I must plug my own book "The 64th Army at Stalingrad 1942-43" its on Amazon.com, second edition. I tell the day-by-day story of the Russian 64th combined arms Infantry army, before, during and after the battle for Stalingrad. Check it out on Amazon.

Cheers!
Dann

Howling Wolf

Post by Howling Wolf » 04 Aug 2022, 12:31

Forward00 wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 19:45
Are there any books that have lots of soldier reports on daily combat in Stalingrad? or any good books on the rescue Winter Storm?
I have ordered Death of the Leaping Horseman and Winter Storm Stackpole so far..
Hello Forward. I know this thread is 4 years old but I just stumbled upon it this morning. I have read a dozen plus books on Stalingrad and that includes the previously mentioned Glantz trilogy (actually quadrology plus a supplemental Soviet Higher Command book)

Read Death of the Leaping Horsemen and Island Of Fire. I liked DOTLH but yes, I agree, IOF is a better read. I would rate IOF 12 stars out of 10 all day!

If you are still looking for others this new book from Die Wehrmacht Im Kampf series is available. I just started to read it myself.

https://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-Opera ... 8&qid=&sr=

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”