Roman Töppel: 'The War, One Great Adventure: The Writer and "Historian" Franz Kurowski'

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Cult Icon

Re: Roman Töppel: 'The War, One Great Adventure: The Writer and "Historian" Franz Kurowski'

Post by Cult Icon » 30 Nov 2018, 01:34

The issue here is this: If you are interested in the Subject, which you are not- you would try to get all potential info about it. IT looks like the paper itself has supplanted the experience of some here.

Panzer Aces I, II, III, Infantry Aces, PzG Aces simply have biographical information that is of interest to those that focus on the subject. That's the extent of its use.

The Toppel paper is designed to stimulate irrelevant intellectual snobbery, which is effective in as displayed in this thread (even by people who never read kurkowski at all!). It is half-junk TBH.

Cult Icon

Re: Roman Töppel: 'The War, One Great Adventure: The Writer and "Historian" Franz Kurowski'

Post by Cult Icon » 30 Nov 2018, 01:46

Urmel wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 20:22
Of course, character assassination instead of engaging with the argument.

What, if anything, is factually incorrect in Toeppel’s article?

All you and the other Kurowski fanboy have supplied until now are attacks on Toeppel. That tells me all I need to know.
You clearly haven't read my posts in this thread. I have criticized Kurkowski at length. I consider you a troll who doesn't know what he's talking about at all.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Nov 2018, 02:23

Cult Icon wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 01:46
I consider you a troll who doesn't know what he's talking about at all.
Is everyone who dares to criticise you a troll?
Cult Icon wrote:
29 Jul 2015, 02:02
I consider you a forum troll and not reliable- like this statement here, which is a false accusation. So I do not trust your research- I prefer to look to others.
Cult Icon wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 21:47
you and Sid have been on my ignore list since 2014 (anti-internet troll policy)
Last edited by Michael Kenny on 30 Nov 2018, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Nov 2018, 02:29

Cult Icon wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 01:34

The Toppel paper is designed to stimulate irrelevant intellectual snobbery, which is effective in as displayed in this thread (even by people who never read kurkowski at all!). It is half-junk TBH.
Absolute rubbish. Several specific example are given where Kurowski lied in his books. Named individuals who appear (in glowing terms) in Kurowski's books castigate him. It could not be clearer. Those who like Kurowski have to discredit Toppel because their perception of the German Army performance in WW2 is rooted in Kurowski's lies. Kurowski is one of their standard bearers.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 30 Nov 2018, 02:59

Orwell1984 wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 19:20
Someone seems rather defensive about their love of Kurowski and shows a rather quick propensity to make it personal and political with those who disagree with him. You're rather quick to slap labels on those you disagree with (over the top, virtur signalling) while not showing the same behaviour with those you're defending.
Did I claim to be a serious student? No. So don't go off creating strawmen.

The Eastern Front is not my area of interest but I have Lawrence's book on Kursk, some of Glantz's work on different aspects of the campaign, Bergstrom's work on the air, Koppel's book on Kursk, and number of books by Zamulin, Luther, Filippenkov, Buttar, Statiev, Stahel, etc etc.
I don't have anything on the officers you list because, frankly, I'm not interested in them.
Interesting how you don't address Urmel who initiated such maneuvers. You and others are not reading my posts correctly and TBH it is irritating to respond to silly/ignorant/poor posts and also troll bait. I presented a gray POV of some of his material- criticized it mostly and said that it had some worthwhile info. I found it interesting additional info on my study of the Eastern Front despite the flaws, which I agree with. I recently got a copy of Leibstandarte III- and found that Kurkowski wrote a bio for one of the soldiers in "Infantry Aces". Also, Georg Michaels from "Pzg Aces" supplements "Death of a Leaping Horseman's coverage of breaking through the Stalingrad ring.

Of course the bona fides of those posters need to be addressed as that would gauge their competency. I see them as being emotionally manipulated by the article in the OP. Some have never read Kurkowski (who is a bad writer even from the entertainment POV- I personally just skim through and get some info). The rest have no or minimal interest in either the Eastern Front or the Pzwaffe and thus would naturally derive little value from Kurkowski. Or an author like Hans Wijers, memoir writers, etc. that add color although their methodology is sloppy.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_ ... evancerank

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 30 Nov 2018, 05:09

Who the hell is "Kurkowski"?
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 30 Nov 2018, 05:55

This thread is locked for poster misconduct -- insult posts after a thread warning.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”