Timewatch tonight

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Timewatch tonight

Post by Andy H » 10 May 2002, 19:00

Sorry Marcus didn't know where to post this.

On BBC2 (UK) tonight at 9pm the above programme reveals "behind the scenes" type docu on Anthony Beevor's work "Berlin"

:D Andy from the Shire

Matt Gibbs

Damn

Post by Matt Gibbs » 10 May 2002, 23:56

Oh I wish I had known about this about 2 hours ago!!
Ah, well, can;t always be watching the tellie!

Regards

Matt G

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 11 May 2002, 00:07

Yeah
I missed it, but i am getting his book morrow.

I dont know why but I have an insatiable curiostiy with last stand battles, whther it be Lenningrad, berlin or moscow.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 11 May 2002, 13:48

A very interesting programme.

In the Halbe forest to the south of Berlin a battle took place with the remains of 9th Army attempting to reach 12th Army, involving some 50,000 german troops. They still find around 1,000 bodies a year in the forest in unmarked graves along with large amounts of equipment and papers etc.

One particular scene that was recollected by a member of the Wehrmacht, concerned a column lead by 3-4 tanks that approched Halbe village. The column was mixed with a large refugee contingent. The Russians straffed the column several times and at the head a german tank was knocked out at the bridge, thus blocking the road. So the column had to retreat the way it came, inc the tanks which had to travel over the road strewn with the victims of the straffing, many of course were still alive as the tanks rolled down the road. No wonder the man recounting the tail has nightmares still.

:| Andy from the Shire

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”