The Dark Charisma Of Adolf Hitler

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Werner von Braun

The Dark Charisma Of Adolf Hitler

Post by Werner von Braun » 14 Apr 2019 09:17

hi,

At the moment I am reading the book 'The Dark Charisma Of Adolf Hitler' by Laurence Rees. ISBN 978-0-09191-765-4
https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Charisma-Ad ... way&sr=8-1

I would like to create a topic to discuss facts, fiction, comments, details and what else from this book.

When reading such a book, I always hope that the writer keeps it rather neutral and let the reader what is good or bad. This writer however has drawn some conclusions already to set the mind of the reader into a certain direction. That is unfortunate however I keep on going.

The first thing that I would like to find out is on the bottom of page 52 where it is said that the NSDAP was banned in most of Germany after the assassination of the German Foreign Minister Walther Rathenau. Rathenau was killed on 24 June 1922 by members of the O.C.

I do know that the party was banned after the putsch on 9 November 1923. But was it indeed banned before that in Germany?

thanks, Werner

Cult Icon

Re: The Dark Charisma Of Adolf Hitler

Post by Cult Icon » 14 Apr 2019 15:51

I have not read this book but I recently re-read a book on a similar topic:

https://www.amazon.com/Roots-Nazi-Psych ... way&sr=8-1
Was Hitler a moral aberration or a man of his people? This topic has been hotly argued in recent years, and now Jay Gonen brings new answers to the debate using a psychohistorical perspective, contending that Hitler reflected the psyche of many Germans of his time. Like any charismatic leader, Hitler was an expert scanner of the Zeitgeist. He possessed an uncanny ability to read the masses correctly and guide them with ""new"" ideas that were merely reflections of what the people already believed. Gonen argues that Hitler's notions grew from the general fabric of German culture in the years following World War I. Basing his work in the role of ideologies in group psychology, Gonen exposes the psychological underpinnings of Nazi Germany's desire to expand its living space and exterminate Jews. Hitler responded to the nation's group fantasy of renewing a Holy Roman Empire of the German nation. He presented the utopian ideal of one large state, where the nation represented one extended family. In reality, however, he desired the triumph of automatism and totalitarian practices that would preempt family autonomy and private action. Such a regimented state would become a war machine, designed to breed infantile soldiers brainwashed for sacrifice. To achieve that aim, he unleashed barbaric forces whose utopian features were the very aspects of the state that made it most cruel.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”