"Führerliste der Waffen-SS" by John P. Moore

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 18 Jun 2005, 22:22

Führerliste der Waffen-SS has been expanded to Part 6:

Signal Officers of the Waffen-SS/Nachrichtenoffiziere der Waffen-SS This was first published in 1995 as a large format book of 499 pages. That book contained detailed biographies of 151 prominent signal officers, 389 mostly original photos, histories of the signal battalions of the first 13 divisions of the Waffen-SS and a register of 1,700 identified Waffen-SS signal officers that included the highlights of their careers and fate. The foreword was written by Rüdiger Weitzdörfer, the former chief of staff of the III.SS-Panzer Korps. This book has been updated and expanded in June 2005 to 576 pages with the biographies of 35 additional signal officers and new chapters with photos and information about veterans’ reunions and garrisons at Berlin-Adlershof, Metz, Nürnberg and Unna. All of that is on one CD. The text is in English. A second CD contains 2,758 pages from the personnel files (Personalakten) of 241 prominent officers.

Price is US $50 or € 45 or ₤ 30 or Canada $ 65 (The original book was priced at US $65 in 1995)

For anyone who would like to receive a free sample of the biographical portion or needs ordering information, please contact me at [email protected] or send me a PM with your e-mail address.

John
Attachments
DVD Cover - zz.jpg
DVD Cover - zz.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 7779 times

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 30 Jun 2005, 07:43

Some people in Europe requesting samples have had difficulty in reaching me at my Verizon e-mail address. I have learned today that Verizon is still blocking some incoming e-mail from Europe in a misguided anti-Spam effort. I regret any inconvenience. Please use this new e-mail address after removing NOSPAM

[email protected]

John

Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson » 01 Jul 2005, 08:17

I can warmly recommand Johns book. I was one of the fortunate who got hold of a book back in 1996, I still enjoy it and will without a doubt get this expanded version as well, it's a must!

Keep up the good work John.

Best
Martin

Jérôme

Post by Jérôme » 02 Jul 2005, 19:56

As usually, Your work is fine.
A good way to share with us, the meeting you had with a lot of former SS-officers, during past years.
your private photos are a bonus to this new edition of your book.
Really excellent.
Best
Jérôme.

razvedka

Post by razvedka » 28 Jul 2005, 15:04

John,

I have been doing for 10 years research about a major underground factory. There the SS, as usual, played an important part in guarding and organizing the security.

I found, through intensive research, some names of the SS officers. I don't know if you have those in your listings, but again, I have to say that your immense work has an effect on everyone which has to work around this theme.

I wonder if I could pass you the names, just to check out?

Is there a possibility that they can be ordered trough a point of contact in Europe?

Many thanks,

Greetings from Brussels, Belgium

Patrick

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 20 Aug 2005, 20:22

I recently received the names that Patrick was researching and they appear to be fictional as I explained to him today. Also, I only sell these CDS directly and not through dealers. Thanks again to everyone for your continued interest in my work.

Several people have asked what is next. I believe that my last release with the signal officers is the end of the series. However, the material in Part 1 of "Führerliste" is always being updated. Unfortunately, it is usually to mark the death of a veteran.

John

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 07 Jan 2006, 06:34

Even though nobody has posted here for awhile, I wanted people to know that these publications are still available as I regulrly receive inquires about availability. In the past week I have helped a man in Belgium in obtaining the Personalake of his godfather, a son in Australia obtained the Personalakte of his deceased father and learned how his father, an Ostuf., had allowed prisoners to escape and a former cavarly Haupsturmführer in Munich obtained his complete Personalakte.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

John

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 08 Mar 2006, 21:54

The Signal Officers is a SUPERB work of reference John, I am very pleased with my copy and find myself referring to it on a very regular basis.

Whats next ?

RaymondG

Post by RaymondG » 04 Apr 2006, 19:11

Hi

I have just received parts 1-4 of Führerliste der Waffen-SS.

This is truly an awesome piece of work at a very, very reasonable price and will prove to be an invaluable/essential tool in helping in my research. He has clearly devoted a big chunk of his spare time/life to this and it really does show. Even down to taking the trouble to add the fonts on the disc so that the reader can the records better - priceless!

Not only that, John is a real gentleman - which is a dying breed these days.

- "Heartily recommended - 10/10"

Well done, John!

Raymond

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 15 Jul 2006, 19:20

Thank you for those comments Raymond.

Following the advice from a number of fellow researchers and collectors I have decided to expand my offerings beyond the personnel files (Personalakten) that are already part of the „Führerliste der Waffen-SS“ publication that many of you already know about.

In my home archive I have over 850 of the 909 rolls of National Archives & Records Administration (NARA) microfilm containing the personnel files of not only Waffen-SS, but also Allgemeine-SS, SD and some Polizei officers filmed from the original records in black & white by the former Berlin Document Center in 1968. Several hundred additional rolls of NARA and other archival microfilm contain records of Waffen-SS divisions, the RFSS and various other publications. Then there are over 60 binders containing copies of wartime documents obtained from government archives in the Czech Republic, Germany and the UK and directly from Waffen-SS veterans representing most divisions and specialties. I also have all back issues of the „Wiking Ruf” and „Der Freiwillige” veterans magazines along with post-war vet newsletters/magazines from the „Nord”, „Totenkopf” and „Wiking” Divisions and Nachrichtenkameradenschaft.

The resources described above provide an excellent basis for researching an individual from multiple sources and providing the collector who owns a named item with some good information and sometimes a photo of the original owner of the militaria. As an example, I was contacted recently by a gentleman who owns a grouping from a former Hauptsturmführer of the „Horst Wessel” Division. Within 24 hours I was able to provide him with high resolution scans of several good documents from the NARA personnel files, entries about the man from the pages of two battalion war diaries from 1942 and late 1944 that I had obtained from the military archive in Prague plus the appearance of the man’s name from a list of released Soviet prisoners from the Wikowo POW camp in October 1955 that appeared in the November 1955 „Wiking Ruf”. The ability to pull such records together comes from having researched this subject for over 30 years and knowing where information is to be found.

Here is what I can do for someone who is looking for all available documentation on a former SS officer.I will provide high resolution digital scans from microfilm of that person’s personnel file and scans of any other related documents on that person from my archive. This data would be sent to you electronically or on a customized CD. For those who can’t easily understand German, I could provide a brief description of the person, however, I’m not in the business of translating entire documents. This service is limited to SS Officers and not enlisted ranks. Of course, I can’t do this for free since all of this takes some time and you are receiving the benefit of my expertise, however, there is no charge to tell someone what is available on a particular individual. Inquiries can be sent to me at - [email protected]

John

RaymondG

Post by RaymondG » 15 Jul 2006, 19:36

Hi John

This is great news and to me seems a natural extension to your current research offerings, as I imagine you will have the largest private archive of SS Officer source material in the States and probably the world.

If the service is as good as my dealings with you the Fuhrerliste then you will make a lot of people very happy indeed.

Is it possible to give me some idea of cost structure?

If you are not yet in a position to, then please contact me as I need some work done on an SS totenkopf ring recipient

All the best

Raymond

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 16 Jul 2006, 15:30

SUPERB move John,

I am delighted because I have a fair few that I need and its always nice to do business with a fellow researcher.

Thanks, I'll PM you.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 23 Jul 2006, 19:33

Raymond & Peter - Thanks for your comments.

I thought that some of you might like to see some photos of my home archive/information collection where much of the material comes from for the documentations that I publish. I purchased most of this microfilm from NARA over a period of 10 years before the price more than doubled last year. In 1995 the price of NARA microfilm was only $23 a roll! The material in the binders/Ordners is mainly Kriegstagbuchs/war diaries obtained from the military archive in Prague along with documents provided by veterans of the Waffen-SS.

John
Attachments
Mikrofilm-&-Ordners-a.jpg
Mikrofilm-&-Ordners-a.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 5590 times

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 23 Jul 2006, 19:34

Another corner showing more drawers of microfilm and reference books.
Attachments
Mikrofilm--2--a.jpg
Mikrofilm--2--a.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 5585 times

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 23 Jul 2006, 19:36

One resource that makes this work easier is having a microfilm reader in my den. Part of it even has an SS connection. I bought this 3M model 20 years ago at an IRS auction for around $10, but the lenses were missing and I had to fabricate some makeshift lenses from a slide projector. It didn't work well and gave me a lot of eyestrain. Some years later at an SS veterans reunion I met a former Untersturmführer who had served in one of the LSSAH infantry regiments. I learned that he had retired from 3M and that after the war 3M in Germany was largely staffed by Waffen-SS veterans and headed by a Ritterkreuzträger. I mentioned that I had an old 3M microfilm viewer that was missing the lenses and he knew the model well. He said that he had some lenses in his basement and a few months later a box of lenses showed up in the mail. My eyes will be foreever thankful to this man.

Below is a photo of the microfilm viewer and the Canon scanner used to digitize the microfilm via Adobe PhotoShop.

John
Attachments
Microfilm-Viewer---a.jpg
Microfilm-Viewer---a.jpg (54.38 KiB) Viewed 5581 times

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”