Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
carmilhan
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Sep 2018 13:28
Location: Germany

Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by carmilhan » 15 Aug 2019 12:58

Hallo,

does anyone already own the new book by William Webb "Killing Hitlers Reich" and can kindly post the table of contents?

Thanks
Best regards
carmilhan

WorldwarBill
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 11 May 2010 00:29

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by WorldwarBill » 10 Sep 2019 02:54

Carmilhan,

See if this helps. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I've been here a long time and gotten a lot of help from this forum.

Contents
List of Maps vii
Introduction ix
Preface xii
1 Sunday, 1 April 23
2 Monday, 2 April 83
3 Tuesday, 3 April 110
4 Wednesday, April 4 127
5 Thursday, April 5 145
6 Friday, 6 April 162
7 April 7, Saturday 190
8 Sunday, 8 April 210
9 Monday, 9 April 232
10 Tuesday, 10 April 250
11 Wednesday, 11 April 264
12 Thursday, 12 April 276
13 Friday, 13 April 292
14 Saturday, 14 April 312
15 Sunday, April 15 329
16 Monday, 16 April 344
17 Tuesday, April 17 355
18 Wednesday, 18 April 367
19 Thursday, 19 April 381
20 Friday, 20 April 388
21 Saturday, 21 April 406
22 Sunday, 22 April 414
23 Monday, 23 April 422
24 Tuesday, 24 April 431
25 Wednesday, 25 April 440
26 Thursday, 26 April 447
27 Friday, 27 April 454
28 Saturday, 28 April 460
29 Sunday, 29 April 466
30 Monday, 30 April 471
vi Killing Hitler ’s Reich
31 Tuesday, 1 May 478
32 Wednesday, 2 May 487
33 Thursday, 3 May 494
34 Friday, 4 May 498
35 Saturday, 5 May 502
36 Sunday, 6 May 513
37 Monday, 7 May 518
38 Tuesday, 8 May 525
39 Wednesday, 9 May 541
40 Thursday, 10 May 548
41 Friday, 11 May 552
42 Saturday, 12 May 554
43 Sunday 13 May 556
44 Monday, 14 May 558
45 Wednesday, 16 May 559
46 Saturday, 19 May 560
47 Sunday, 20 May 561
48 Wednesday, 23 May 562
49 Friday, 25 May 564
Afterword 566
Bibliography 568
Index 576

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 1577
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by Cult Icon » 10 Sep 2019 14:27

how are the contents? is it more strategic or more tactical?

WorldwarBill
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 11 May 2010 00:29

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by WorldwarBill » 10 Sep 2019 14:46

Cult Icon wrote:
10 Sep 2019 14:27
how are the contents? is it more strategic or more tactical?
Honestly, I tried to do both. One thing that has always bothered me about many of the better campaign books is that it's hard to keep track of what's going on where, so that was upper most when I wrote this.

I also kept this forum in mind. In a way I wrote it for everybody here, because I tried to include as much of the obscure as I could. For example, the battle for the Dairy at the Semmering Pass, or the details of Kampfgruppe Wessley. But there's also how Hitler's orders impacted the various units.

I spent a HUGE amount of time figuring out a timeline for the various pieces of SS Kampfgruppe-Division Böhmen und Mähren. I anticipate some disagreement on what I've written here, because there is so little hard evidence. Nor did it help that each regiment went by three different names. Or that one of those regiments got shattered defending the airfield at Tulln, with part of it staying south of the Danube and the rest retreating to the north, but nowhere that I could find is there evidence of which regiment or which battalion. So I've had to use whatever evidence I could find, thin though it might be, to name those units.

Anyway, it took 13 years to write and I'm damned proud of it.

carmilhan
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Sep 2018 13:28
Location: Germany

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by carmilhan » 15 Sep 2019 20:52

Hello, WorldWarBill,

thanks for the table of contents.
Unfortunately that doesn't help me at all. It seems to me, that you took the chronological work of Theo Rossiwall, Lt.Col. ret, "Die letzten Tage-Die militärische Besetzung Österreichs 1945" as a model (or blueprint?)?

I am interested in the tactical and operative connections from the divisional level upwards:
Do I find for example, anything in your book about the 6th Army, the 6th (SS) Panzer Army or the Corps "von Bünau" (former GenKdo. "Schulz")?
Do I find for example, details of the fight of the 1st SS PzDiv LSSAH near Wilhelmsburg (west of Vienna) or of the 10. Fsch.Jg.Div. (10th Paratrooper Division) near Feldbach (east of Graz)from 1-6 April or of the paratroopers combat near Traisen (west of Vienna) at the end of April 1945?
Are there any details on the "Reichsschutzstellung" ( Reich Protection Position) or on the planned disarmament of the 14th Grenadier Division of the SS (Ukrainian No. 1)?

Best regards
carmilhan

WorldwarBill
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 11 May 2010 00:29

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by WorldwarBill » 16 Sep 2019 16:55

carmilhan wrote:
15 Sep 2019 20:52
Hello, WorldWarBill,

thanks for the table of contents.
Unfortunately that doesn't help me at all. It seems to me, that you took the chronological work of Theo Rossiwall, Lt.Col. ret, "Die letzten Tage-Die militärische Besetzung Österreichs 1945" as a model (or blueprint?)?

I am interested in the tactical and operative connections from the divisional level upwards:
Do I find for example, anything in your book about the 6th Army, the 6th (SS) Panzer Army or the Corps "von Bünau" (former GenKdo. "Schulz")?
Do I find for example, details of the fight of the 1st SS PzDiv LSSAH near Wilhelmsburg (west of Vienna) or of the 10. Fsch.Jg.Div. (10th Paratrooper Division) near Feldbach (east of Graz)from 1-6 April or of the paratroopers combat near Traisen (west of Vienna) at the end of April 1945?
Are there any details on the "Reichsschutzstellung" ( Reich Protection Position) or on the planned disarmament of the 14th Grenadier Division of the SS (Ukrainian No. 1)?

Best regards
carmilhan
Although I had more than 500 sources, the one you mentioned is NOT one that I have heard of before now. So no, it had zero influence on the book. Korps von Bünau is covered in detail, using both of the General's postwar pamphlets for the US Army as a starting point. Both LSSAH and 10. Fallschirmjäger-Division are covered in as much detail as I could find. Feldbach, of course, was the crux of that combat in early April.14. SS gets a lot of space here, with a lengthy discussion of Hitler's disarmament order and how disingenuous it was.

There is the most comprehensive history I believe to be extant on SS Kampfgruppe-Division Böhmen und Mäahren, and the same for 37. SS-Kavallerie-Division Lützow and both of its regimental kampfgruppen. The Reichsschutzstellung gets as much attention as it deserves, but for the most part it was just a line of trenches which the Russians reached before the Germans.

I wrote this to be the most definitive account yet of the Battle for Austria, but while writing it I kept this board in mind. In essence I wrote it for you and all the others who post here, me included. I spent countless hours debating and researching which source was correct in the literally 1,000+ instances where records disagree on events. I might have gotten some things wrong, but if I did it wasn't for lack of trying.

carmilhan
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Sep 2018 13:28
Location: Germany

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by carmilhan » 19 Sep 2019 15:30

Hello WorldWarBill,

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply. I appreciate that very much.

I didn't want to offend you with the reference to the standard work of Col. Rossiwall (a standard work like the books of Prof. Rauchensteiner/Jordan/ Egger and Prof. Brettner...). But he - i.e. Rossiwall also arranged his book in this unusual way - chronologically by days - decades ago.
According to your description, I'm "afraid" I won't be able to "avoid" buying your book. ;-)

Would it be very immodest of me if you would give me some more information about the fights of the 1o. FallschirmjägerDivision near Feldbach and in the Traisental?

Best regards
carmilhan

WorldwarBill
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 11 May 2010 00:29

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by WorldwarBill » 19 Sep 2019 16:20

carmilhan wrote:
19 Sep 2019 15:30
Hello WorldWarBill,

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply. I appreciate that very much.

I didn't want to offend you with the reference to the standard work of Col. Rossiwall (a standard work like the books of Prof. Rauchensteiner/Jordan/ Egger and Prof. Brettner...). But he - i.e. Rossiwall also arranged his book in this unusual way - chronologically by days - decades ago.
According to your description, I'm "afraid" I won't be able to "avoid" buying your book. ;-)

Would it be very immodest of me if you would give me some more information about the fights of the 1o. FallschirmjägerDivision near Feldbach and in the Traisental?

Best regards
carmilhan
Heck no, it wouldn't be immodest. I would appreciate it. When you get the book you'll see that I included a forum on my own website for anyone who wanted to add or correct something. I consider all books as living things, that is, subject to change when better information comes to light. For example, I included everything I could find about the defense of the Tulln Luftwaffe base and the kampfgruppe formed for that purpose, but I realize someone may have more or better information that hasn't been published, or isn't available. Or maybe the survivor of the Spaniards in Vienna left a diary.

This book is meant to be the opening shot to define in English a campaign that has so far been overlooked. If others build on what I've started that's awesome.

carmilhan
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Sep 2018 13:28
Location: Germany

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by carmilhan » 19 Sep 2019 16:59

Hello WorldWarBill,

if you are particularly interested in the Luftwaffe base Tulln or Langenlebarn, have you worked with the following books resp. sources?

Girschik, Peter: Der Erdkampf im Bezirk Tulln im April/Mai 1945.
Mitteilungen des Heimatkundlichen Arbeitskreises für die Stadt und den Bezirk Tulln, Heft VI Tulln Juni 1992.

Noss, Adolf: Der Fliegerhorst in Langenlebarn 1938-2010.
Heimatkundlicher Arbeitskreis für die Stadt und den Bezirk Tulln, Mitteilungen XXVI, Tulln 2011.

Prigl, Hubert: Die Geschichte des Fliegerhorstes Langenlebarn von 1936 bis 2000.
(P.h.d.) Dissertation Universität Wien, Wien 2001.

These sources come from my manuscript about the end of the war in Austria and Czechoslovakia in the period from March to May 1945.

Best regards
carmilhan

WorldwarBill
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 11 May 2010 00:29

Re: Willam A Webb KIlling Hitlers Reich

Post by WorldwarBill » 19 Sep 2019 17:29

carmilhan wrote:
19 Sep 2019 16:59
Hello WorldWarBill,

if you are particularly interested in the Luftwaffe base Tulln or Langenlebarn, have you worked with the following books resp. sources?

Girschik, Peter: Der Erdkampf im Bezirk Tulln im April/Mai 1945.
Mitteilungen des Heimatkundlichen Arbeitskreises für die Stadt und den Bezirk Tulln, Heft VI Tulln Juni 1992.

Noss, Adolf: Der Fliegerhorst in Langenlebarn 1938-2010.
Heimatkundlicher Arbeitskreis für die Stadt und den Bezirk Tulln, Mitteilungen XXVI, Tulln 2011.

Prigl, Hubert: Die Geschichte des Fliegerhorstes Langenlebarn von 1936 bis 2000.
(P.h.d.) Dissertation Universität Wien, Wien 2001.

These sources come from my manuscript about the end of the war in Austria and Czechoslovakia in the period from March to May 1945.

Best regards
carmilhan
Yes, those were my primary sources for the fighting there, although even with them ferreting out good information was hard.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”