Broad front vs. narrow front: Study based on the Lorraine Campaign

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
phaze

Broad front vs. narrow front: Study based on the Lorraine Campaign

Post by phaze » 08 Oct 2019, 13:23

By Robert Walker Grow. I was mostly wondering if anyone knows of how one can get his hands on this title. It's never actually available on Amazon or other bookshops nor can I find it on the net. It's always referenced when it comes to Lorraine Campaign so it's been a point of interest of me for a long time. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard Anderson

Re: Broad front vs. narrow front: Study based on the Lorraine Campaign

Post by Richard Anderson » 08 Oct 2019, 16:42

phaze wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 13:23
By Robert Walker Grow. I was mostly wondering if anyone knows of how one can get his hands on this title. It's never actually available on Amazon or other bookshops nor can I find it on the net. It's always referenced when it comes to Lorraine Campaign so it's been a point of interest of me for a long time. Any help would be appreciated.
It is not a book. It is a 16-page research study prepared by Grow, former CG of the 6th AD, for the Office of the Chief of Military History. He wrote it for Hugh Cole's use in writing the Lorraine Campaign. He also wrote "Armor and Mobility in Maintaining the Momentum of a River Crossing: Examples from the Lorraine Campaign" for the same purpose. (Note that in most bibliographies these are assigned the tentative date of 1952, but they were most likely written c. 1948-1949 when Cole was writing his volume. All of those early studies prepared for OCMH as part of the US Army in World War II series are now held by the US National Archives, Archives II, College Park, MD. You will need to inquire there to obtain a copy, although it is also possible the Pentagon Library, AHEC, or the CGSC Library may have copies as well.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

phaze

Post by phaze » 08 Oct 2019, 21:59

Richard Anderson wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 16:42
phaze wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 13:23
It is not a book. It is a 16-page research study prepared by Grow, former CG of the 6th AD, for the Office of the Chief of Military History. He wrote it for Hugh Cole's use in writing the Lorraine Campaign. He also wrote "Armor and Mobility in Maintaining the Momentum of a River Crossing: Examples from the Lorraine Campaign" for the same purpose. (Note that in most bibliographies these are assigned the tentative date of 1952, but they were most likely written c. 1948-1949 when Cole was writing his volume. All of those early studies prepared for OCMH as part of the US Army in World War II series are now held by the US National Archives, Archives II, College Park, MD. You will need to inquire there to obtain a copy, although it is also possible the Pentagon Library, AHEC, or the CGSC Library may have copies as well.
Sadly, all those locations are beyond my geographical reach. I guess with Amazon listing it, I had hopes its availability would be more widespread and thus, within my amateurish grasp but alas ... Thank you very much for your help.

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 08 Oct 2019, 22:58

Amazon believes it owns every printed thing on the planet.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”