Has anyone used this website or product before?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Panzerfusilier

Has anyone used this website or product before?

Post by Panzerfusilier » 31 May 2020, 02:21

Hello, I was looking for a complete collection of the Deutsche Wochenshau online and cannot find one other than some posted to YouTube . After doing some research I came across this website:
https://www.rarefilmsandmore.com
They have a 40 disc collection of the German war time newsreels for a price of $300. Has anyone purchased this set or used this website? I want to be sure I don’t get scammed or a product of such low quality I can’t see what is being shown.
Thanks , Bob.

J. Duncan

Re: Has anyone used this website or product before?

Post by J. Duncan » 31 May 2020, 12:37

This source seems to be a treasure trove of rare films. I believe I bought dvds from the company that came before this one (I think it either traded hands or changed its name) . The dvds I bought
would get permanently stuck, skip, or would not play at all. I used brand new DVD players with the same result. I’m not particularly trusting anymore of these kind of sellers. I think you’d be better off for Wochenschau by using ihf films of Chicago. I think the total for the whole set is $279.00 plus shipping. They are very well done, English subtitles, play on any DVD player. Used them for many years (since 1989) They’ve used the best film prints available and digitally remastered many films.

https://ihffilm.com/k57.html

Panzerfusilier

Post by Panzerfusilier » 01 Jun 2020, 02:35

J. Duncan:
Thank you for the response. After contemplating what you said and looking for more information on both sets (there is not a lot out there, maybe because it is a very niche product), I decided to go ahead and purchase the IHF "Through Enemy Eyes" collection as recommended. My understanding is IHF actually copied the original Film Reels and then used technology to digitally enhance the material. Do you know any more information about this? I feel much more comfortable about my choice after hearing from someone with personal experience with the company/product. I hope the quality is good enough so I can appreciate the experience and learn. Also, an off topic question: do all the WW2 documentaries use the film footage from the Wochenshau when referring/showing the Eastern front or other German theatres? Where do they get the source material??
Thanks again, Bob

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 01 Jun 2020, 14:17

You will be pleased. Ihf is professional and their dvds all have menu features and play on any player. They will also send you catalogs with your order and in the mail periodically when they have new releases. The whole set...you are going to have a lot of viewing time . Perfect if you are stuck at home.

Panzerfusilier

Post by Panzerfusilier » 01 Jun 2020, 17:05

I’m very excited! I will be able to take advantage of all this down time. I will respond after I view the product. Cheers!

Panzerfusilier

Post by Panzerfusilier » 16 Jun 2020, 08:48

Well here is the Scoop, Y'all. I got the set from IHF and was disappointed with the quality. Parts with less lighting were totally incomprehensible. Anyway, the company was professional and polite and offered me a full refund. To anyone in the future: Know what you are getting! The companies that provide these reels are at least ethical. Please message me for more details. I will help guide you through the process. Hi-Yo SIlver, Awaaaaay!

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”